let's yak about the choonz (3 Viewers)

photon said:
Bad value for money. The manufacturer says it'll last a thousand years, but it falls apart after only 12.

Paul

12 years is pretty good if you can get it cheap...
What are we talking about?
Oh yeah, the third reich 'n' roll.

Anyone love the Residents?

I've got Memory Cells "No people here" in my ears at the mo'.

It's like a lo-fi Harmonia. And yes, that is a good thing.

"Landed: Moon Koncert" is an amazing track.

nEiLo said:
I've got Memory Cells "No people here" in my ears at the mo'.

It's like a lo-fi Harmonia. And yes, that is a good thing.

"Landed: Moon Koncert" is an amazing track.

Definitely the best thing they ever released, even if it was several years after the fact.

Mind, We Have Found the New Jerusalem is pretty good, too. Night is all right, but a bit uneven and on the bland side (in my opinion).

Paul

chickenham said:
What Reich did you order?

i went for music for 18 musicians... did i do wrong?
milk was a bad choice...

milk1ba.jpg

i'm mostly listening to vh1 classic. guess the year for like... your song by reg. it's fucking deadly.

you see, you musical mumblings inspire me not...

Stan Bowles said:
Well its a Ride song, last song on debut album Nowhere.

Ride fucking rule.

jesus just searched them there.........interesting, would you recommend their debut as a good starting point?

tripoli said:
jesus just searched them there.........interesting, would you recommend their debut as a good starting point?
Can do, the first three e.p's is what you want to get hold of though - ride, play and fall.

Stan Bowles said:
Can do, the first three e.p's is what you want to get hold of though - ride, play and fall.
cheers, wouldn't mind hearing the original vapour trail too

tripoli said:

Smile has their first two 12"s, [Ride EP and Play EP] (8 songs in total)
Debut album Nowhere has gone from being 8 tracks (on the vinyl version) to 15 tracks on the reissue. The extra 7 tracks are from the Fall EP and Today Forever EP.

both are fucking amazing.

As Neil says OX4 is a great starting point too - and work yer way from there.
If you have spare cash go for Ride Box [3 CDs - OX4, Reading Live 1992, Unreleased/rarities]

When I can spare a few minutes in between Gentle Giant albums, I've been sifting through:

A Binary Input to Flesh Antenna - Shaolin Wooden Men
Soundtracks for the Blind - Swans
Phaedra - Tangerine Dream
Relayer - Yes
Another Day on Earth - Brian Eno
Ravvivando - Faust
Loadsa Melt Banana and Cardiacs too

And Herv's magnificent - and informative - Introduction to Synthesizers, available now from Golden Discs in one of those gold plastic bags they used to have

albums by three artists i have wanted to check out for a while...

Muslimgauze: "Islamaphobia". Harsh, repetitive (in a trace [inducing, not the commercial club] style), rhythmic, electronic dancey stuff. mostly appears to be loops of traditional arabic instrumentation with occassional digital-sounding distortion. quite enjoyable and nicely done, but very repetitive.

William Basinski: "Disintegration Loops". "William Basinski's four-disk epic, The Disintegration Loops, was created out of tape loops Basinski made back in the early 1980s. These loops held some personal significance to Basinski, a significance he only touches on in the liner notes and we can only guess at. Originally, he just wanted to transfer the loops from analog reel-to-reel tape to digital hard disk. However, once he started the transfer, he discovered something: the tapes were old and they were disintegrating as they played and as he recorded. As he notes in the liner notes, "The music was dying." But he kept recording, documenting the death of these loops... These recordings were made in August and September of 2001... On September 11, 2001, as he was completing The Disintegration Loops, he watched these towers disintegrate. He and his friends went on the roof of his building and played the Loops over and over, all day long, watching the slow death of one New York and the slow rise of another, all the while listening to the death of one music and the creation of another." Again, extremely repetitive (too much for its own good i would say)... its odd, the music is very very pretty - almost beautiful in parts - but ultimately boring. literally is tracks of one (two-second) loop for up to 50 minutes in some cases. it does change, but terribly slowly. i love alot of music that doesnt change much or go anywhere (like some mirror, john duncan, nww, coil, hafler trio) but this simply doesnt captivate my attention.

The Tiger Lillies: "Punch And Judy". Now, this stuff is truely bizarre. i dont know what to make of it all... the band present themselves as "The criminal castrati and his accordion driven anarchic Brechtian street opera trio performing their unique mix of falsetto crooning, and strange gypsy music..." (though they are in fact british). cabaret type music (excellent, by the way) with lyrics about bestiality, necrophilia, scatology, murder, domestic abuse, prostitution and so on, all delivered in a vocal style most reminiscent of monty python at their most manic. honestly dont know if i like it or not, but it is remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back