Kevin Myers is back on form (1 Viewer)

is this any use?

http://www.pressombudsman.ie

Principle 8 − Incitement to Hatred

Newspapers and periodicals shall not publish material intended or likely to cause grave offence or stir up hatred against an individual or group on the basis of their race, religion, nationality, colour, ethnic origin, membership of the travelling community, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, illness, or age.

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/v2/pressombudsman/portal.php?content=_includes/codeofpractice.php

Yes....

In light of nuclear-charged race hate prose like this...we're talking Third Reich language...I'm not over reacting to it..it is VILE..

"
Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness. Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, Kalashnikov-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts.
Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually
hyperactive indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world.

The implicit suggestion is that he wishes for what he refers to as 'help' to be suspended, to cull the tens of millions of people..the sexually hyperactive indigents as he refers to them...

Seanc-maybe we could start a fight about which of the two articles is worse?

I honestly don't know which is worse, but next time I see a kalashnikov toting black woman doctor working part time and thinking she's great because she's a girl, I'm going to give her a piece of my mind and that's for sure.

Press Ombudsman site says that you must first complain to the editor. If you're not satisfied with that response then you complain to the ombudsman. However, it says you must "be directly affected by and involved in the article or behavior about which you are complaining".

hmmm

I'm a woman. That article about how the 'feminisation of the medical profession is a disaster' displays unabashed hatred towards me. I'm writing.

This is crude, but in relation to the other argument: it's a pile of xenophobic bullshit masquerading as a critique of something else, and it has potential to affect perceptions of those who have emigrated here from African countries, or our families, friends, colleagues and neighbours who have. This renders us affected and entitled to write. Or, the fact that it's taxpayers money that funds international aid renders us all indirectly affected by the argument. This is, of course, not to mention the obvious about the utterly hateful attitude he displays towards the victims of deprivation corruption murder rape and abuse in the article.

http://myerswatch.blogspot.com/

cor

Myers.jpg

His words make a lot more sense with the music.

4741.jpg

P.S. Apologies to Aoifs for sullying Mr.Martin's image!

I'm a woman. That article about how the 'feminisation of the medical profession is a disaster' displays unabashed hatred towards me. I'm writing.

This is crude, but in relation to the other argument: it's a pile of xenophobic bullshit masquerading as a critique of something else, and it has potential to affect perceptions of those who have emigrated here from African countries, or our families, friends, colleagues and neighbours who have. This renders us affected and entitled to write. Or, the fact that it's taxpayers money that funds international aid renders us all indirectly affected by the argument. This is, of course, not to mention the obvious about the utterly hateful attitude he displays towards the victims of deprivation corruption murder rape and abuse in the article.

I totally agree with you. But all of what you are saying makes you indirectly, as opposed to directly, affected. I think I can make the case for sending a letter through my job, but sending one to the editor first.

I totally agree with you. But all of what you are saying makes you indirectly, as opposed to directly, affected. I think I can make the case for sending a letter through my job, but sending one to the editor first.

Perhaps with the one about Africa, but are you saying that the first article doesn't directly affect me?

And deadly with the letter writing.... let us know the response you get

And Wheels... whatever you're apologising for, I accept.... not sure what it is but.

Perhaps with the one about Africa, but are you saying that the first article doesn't directly affect me?
If you are a female doctor, either in practice or in training, then it directly affects you. If not, then it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I would also view it as an affront against all women, but the ombudsman would be more particular than that.

surely the title of that article should have been "africa is giving nothing to anyone -- everything has been systematically robbed from them for centuries". gold, silver, diamonds, oil, freedom... for starters.

I'm almost surprised he didn't use the word 'niggers' in that article. I bet he really wanted to. say what you want about polemics or plain trying to be controversial. that man should not have a platform on which to serve up such pointless, hateful garbage, least not in a national newspaper.

the worst thing about all this is, you just know he's LOVING all the attention he's getting.

or worse again, there's the dangerous fact that people WILL swallow up his horseshit without a scrap of personal thought on the issues. I met some old fella in a pub a couple of weeks ago; we were talking about RTÉ news, and he said "have you noticed there's always some news story every week about africa? .... what's that all about?" I was about to point out the fact that Ireland probably has a sufficient african community to warrant the odd news story about such an awfully big continent, and in fact we probably don't hear enough about the place, but he immediately insisted that it was a some kind of african/media conspiracy to get our hard earned money. a pretty stupendous claim by any standards! this kickstarted his attempt to go on a racial tirade which I didn't stick around to hear. I'm sure kevin myers' words would be music to this man's ears.

africa is probably not in much of a position to 'give' anything to the world, but only because it has been pounded into the ground for an awfully long time, and anyone of an old school imperialist mindset that they're a shower of backward simple minded freeloaders might do well to recall elements of our own history, and remember how easily the seeds of poverty and desperation are sown when you have no freedom and you're being ruled with an iron fist.

between this, the medical article and the unmarried mothers and their 'bastards' he really has written an incredible amount of offensive rubbish. pointless, hateful, inaccurate rubbish for the most part. maybe we should all write to the editor?

If you are a female doctor, either in practice or in training, then it directly affects you. If not, then it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I would also view it as an affront against all women, but the ombudsman would be more particular than that.

I'm not really sure how the ombudsman would view it. I'm not trying to be belligerent here... genuine question- do you have an inside on this that I don't? If you don't, and you agree that the article is an affront against all women, then thanks, but you really don't have to play devils advocate for me. If you do, please expand so I know if I'm sticking to their 'who gets to call people on their dangerous bullshit' code.

There seems to be many more with Myers than agin'.
Perhaps this is an indication of the Indo's readership. He's preaching to the converted.

Hi guys.

Can I just remind you all that we are talking about a guy who wants to fuck a mouse?

It helps me through the tough times.

And as for the 'never see Jane and K-Rock Myers in the same room', sadly, this is not true. This has occurred. Fo' real. Let's hope it never happens again.

Hi guys.

Can I just remind you all that we are talking about a guy who wants to fuck a mouse?

It helps me through the tough times.

And as for the 'never see Jane and K-Rock Myers in the same room', sadly, this is not true. This has occurred. Fo' real. Let's hope it never happens again.

erm...this isn't long enough Jane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back