Is it okay to eat meat? (1 Viewer)

Is is okay to eat meat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Human attitude toward food reminds me of Homer in the land of Chocolate.
everything that can be eaten, will be eaten.

my major issue is more with the food industry than simply people eating meat. I dont think its wrong, its just not for me. what I do think is wrong, is the mass production and the mass waste of meat products. and largely, the animal diseases that are cropping up are due to the fucked up cost cutting within the industry - feeding crushed eggshells and dead chickens to live chickens etc. I mean, for fuck sake.

For many a year now I have been wah wah wah my vegetarianism and blah blah blah inherently wrong blah blah bioeconomics yadda yadda digestion wibble wobble I have no idea what I'm talking about meh meh.
I think the answer to the question is 'cock', personally.

Sorry egg_, While modern factory farming is particularly appalling, (Fast food nation etc) there is a serious ethical issue involved simply in the killing of, and widely accepted practice of abuse towards other living beings. Methinks that human ethical concern should encompass all beings who suffer and have interests, no matter what their species. Fair, no? The fact is that no meat or other animal products are necessary in our diet or for our survival, and i think this further strengthens this ethical claim.

cassette/tape said:
there is a serious ethical issue involved simply in the killing of, and widely accepted practice of abuse towards other living beings.
Why? Serious question.

eat shit, vegans
Human faeces can contain significant B12. A study has shown that a group of Iranian vegans obtained adequate B12 from unwashed vegetables which had been fertilised with human manure. Faecal contamination of vegetables and other plant foods can make a significant contribution to dietary needs, particularly in areas where hygiene standards may be low. This may be responsible for the lack of aneamia due to B12 deficiency in vegan communities in developing countries.
Good sources of vitamin B12 for vegetarians are dairy products or free-range eggs. ½ pint of milk (full fat or semi skimmed) contains 1.2 µg. A slice of vegetarian cheddar cheese (40g) contains 0.5 µg. A boiled egg contains 0.7 µg. Fermentation in the manufacture of yoghurt destroys much of the B12 present. Boiling milk can also destroy much of the B12.

Gong Farmer said:
The Inuits pretty much only eat meat as there's hardly any edible vegetation in a tundra climate.
I saw a documentary on the Sami people of Finland a few years back and one of the village/tribe elders hadn't eaten a vegetable until he was 45 or something. Apparently reindeer meat is very high in vitamins and minerals.

cassette/tape said:
there is a serious ethical issue involved simply in the killing of, and widely accepted practice of abuse towards other living beings.
I don't think it has been conclusively shown (and probably never will be) that it is possible to live well (as opposed to just surviving) without eating any animal products ... but then again, maybe the burden of proof should be on the other side.

Either way, I see your philsophical point ... however I'm not sure I agree with it. Is it even possible to debate this sort of thing? Can you tell me why I shouldn't kill and eat a chicken, for instance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back