IRELAND VS ESTONIA!!!!! (3 Viewers)

Something like 'THIS MESSAGE IS NOT FOR WASHINGCATTLE, WHICH SHOULDN'T NEED EXPLAINING AS HE WASN'T THE LAST POSTER BUT HE SEEMS TO NEED IT' followed by post?

Walters up front on his own Fahey as an extra midfielder.

And yes I know this won't happen. Still Walters does look our most direct attacking threat. He's big and fucking strong enough anyway.

While we're talking Fantasy manager here, why three deep lying midfielders against Estonia? Why not Hoolihan or McCarthy if you're thinking 4-5-1?

I'd defo play 2 up front against Estonia away. No question.

Keane is supposed to be recovering quicker than expected anway, I'd expect to see Keane\Cox or Keane\Walters in the first leg and Keane\Doyle in the 2nd.

Apparently there was some stupid mix up in the Armenia game and the ref booked Andrews for a foul McGeady committed, which means Andrews and Whelan are both a booking away from missing a game now. We're still so thin on the ground with centre mids, no sign of Gibson making a comeback and McCarthy would hardly get the nod with so little experience, I suppose it'd be Fahey in there if it came down to it.

I'm going for more of a 4-2-3-1 actually

Coleman Fahey and Duff Behind Cox with Whelan and Andrews doing what they always do sitting twenty yards behind every attack strolling forward looking disinterested.

I'm going for more of a 4-2-3-1 actually

Coleman Fahey and Duff Behind Cox with Whelan and Andrews doing what they always do sitting twenty yards behind every attack strolling forward looking disinterested.

OK, but I still don't see the logic. Why Fahey in a forward role when he's a defensive midfielder and you have the likes of Hoolihan, McCarthy and even Walters to deploy as attacking midfielders?
And why play Whelan and/or Andrews at all?!

Shit Sorry I said Cox, I meant Walters.

Kieth Fahey isn't a defensive midfielder. He's played most of his career as a winger. It's just recently he's been drafted into the center of midfield for the national team. He can pass a ball well and has decent pace.

I only left Whelan and Andrews in because it's inevitable that they will play anyway. Basically we finished up against Armenia with something close enough to this, a sort of 4-2-2-1 (except Hunt was on the right and Doyle had been sent off) But during that period of the game It seemed that.

A. Fahey can get the ball in midfield and go forward with it
B. Walters can play up front on his own.

The problem hasn't really been up front anyway, I mean we did score 15 goals in the 10 matches so far, It's not great but it's okay considering how poor the midfield is. The problem's been getting the ball forward without just lumping it 50 yards I'm putting an extra man in midfield to make sure we do that. Lawerence probably could do the job too but he's a bit too slow Haven't seen enough of McCarthy or Hoolihan to say they deserve their place. I have seen enough of Fahey and Coleman to say that they do. Simple.

Listen it doesn't matter

A. Trap's going to put out the same team he always does with a few alterations that he has to make.

B. I'm never going to get a shot at managing Ireland because of back room politics in the FAI.

I think you're mixing things up Cattle. I said 'seen as we're playing Fantasy manager' as clearly he's not going to play 4-5-1 with Fahey, meaning you pick the first eleven of your choice. That's why I queried your Andrews-Whelan selection.
I would see Fahey as a deep lying midfielder (that's what I meant by defensive), not someone to sit behind the striker, which is what you need in a 4-5-1.

I don't really agree, I see Fahey Duff and Coleman all playing behind the lone striker I'd also give my full backs license to get forward.

My best recent example of this is the way Drenthe, Coleman and Cahill did supporting Saha for the last 20 minutes against Fulham on sunday plus Baines and Hibbert were de-facto midfielders for much of this.

Fahey seems to be struggling to hold down a place in a Championship side, by the way. When you have Premiership options that start every week, do you ignore that?

I don't really agree, I see Fahey Duff and Coleman all playing behind the lone striker I'd also give my full backs license to get forward.

My best recent example of this is the way Drenthe, Coleman and Cahill did supporting Saha for the last 20 minutes against Fulham on sunday plus Baines and Hibbert were de-facto midfielders for much of this.

Surely getting the full backs forward at this stage of the campaign would just leave us open to all sorts of crazy counter attacking? I like the idea of playing Coleman instead of McGeady. Heck I'd play Coleman in central midfield. He's miles beyong the present two in terms of quality.

Fahey seems to be struggling to hold down a place in a Championship side, by the way. When you have Premiership options that start every week, do you ignore that?

I don't know where Keith Andrews plays but he is mega limited on the ball. Fahey instead of him is the right call. Fahey doesn't mind have the ball sometimes. Not petrified by it as Andrews often is.

Would personally like to see Robbie and Walters, or Cox and Walters if Robbie isn't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back