I'm so sick of my job - anyone got any career advice? (1 Viewer)

I'm been a programmer for 11 years now, nearly, and I'm so fucking tired of it. I'm good at it, and I need the money, so I can't really afford to retrain

Anyone got any suggestions?

Join the back of the queue?

Sell the house. Buy a bus. Put together a gang of eccentrics. Buy four video cameras. Drive bus full of eccentrics to india. Film everything. Sell it to MTV. Laugh heartily.

I'm been a programmer for 11 years now, nearly, and I'm so fucking tired of it. I'm good at it, and I need the money, so I can't really afford to retrain

Go freelance

doctoreggrt5.jpg

Did that for 2 years, had to give it up cos our income was too unpredictable (Mrs. egg_ is self-employed too). Anyway it's still programming isn't it?

Fair enough... Just thought if you were good at it, a new perspective would change things, and working for yourself gives you a special feeling... But you've already done that...
How 'bout savin up and going back to collage for a bit?
'sides... Do you know what you'd like to do?
(and here, it's never too late)

http://grou.ps/jobs.do

JOBS - Open Positions
All job applications should be directed to [email protected] with the title: JOB APPLICATION

PHP Engineer (ref #001)

$q1 = Are you a master PHP Ninja?
$q2 = Excel at object oriented PHP, MVC pattern, Smarty template engine, caching practices and PEAR?
$q3 = Familiar with CSS, Javascript, XHTML, MySQL?
$q4 = Experienced with Zend Studio, Subversion, wikis?
$q5 = Love open source? Aware of RSS, XML-RPC, web services, memcached and all other geeky stuff?
$q6 = Keen to learn much more?
$q7 = Ready to move to Silicon Valley?

if ( $q1 && $q2 && $q3 && $q4 && $q5 && $q6 ) {
echo "YOU SHOULD <strong>JOIN</strong> US! drop your resume to [email protected] <br />";
echo "please include some php and javascript code snippets or refer us to an open source project you've";
echo "already made. tell us our coding mistakes in this call and let us know what you know about";
echo "the new javascript 1.7, mysql 5.2 and php 6. thanx,";
exit;
}
else {
die("maybe next time...");
}

what do you think you might like to do?
Something fucking creative. I'm not a natural geek, y'know, the only thing that interests me about coding, really, is starting a project and trying to solve it in some creative way ... and that takes up about 5% of my time at work. Been thinking about setting up on my own again, and working on product development rather than client-based stuff, there'd be more creativity involved and I wouldn't be wearing myself out trying to keep up with client's demands

And also I'd like to do something worthwhile, y'know? And something that doesn't tire me out as this job does

I've never managed to buy into a job, it's always been just a job, it's depressing spending so much time every day on something you don't care about purely to make money.

Whinge whinge whinge. I'm spoiled by the kick I get out of music, I guess, there ain't no job going to provide that

Learn Actionscript 3 - it's more like a proper language than AS2 was so you would pick it up pretty fast if you know PHP. Then you can do multimedia stuff with your programming. Just don't rob any of my jobs.

One of my jobs wants me to learn PHP as the bloke who set up the database is leaving. Guess what I said?

I am just about to completely change career after 10 years in webdesign, can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back