I'm so sick of my job - anyone got any career advice? (3 Viewers)

start your own restaurant, egg!

or something food related - you know those guys who do the gourmet food service, what's it called? Supper's Ready. Something like that. You could do it part time at first.

doing web design for a living is a bore. unless you get sweet design jobs where you have a lot of control and can do stuff that's different. I recently quit due to 2 years of mostly corporate horror sites etc.

the only time I find I enjoy design now is when I'm doing it for myself.

so maybe if you set up a few web business ideas - stuff that's both creative and has potential for €€€. those bastards who set up daft.ie were 15 at the time and now are minted.

but yeah, it's pretty difficult to make a career change. good luck!!! :)

so maybe if you set up a few web business ideas - stuff that's both creative and has potential for €€€. those bastards who set up daft.ie were 15 at the time and now are minted.
Man, all the ideas for websites that i never got round to that eventually became huge money spinners for someone else - i had an idea in 2001 for a sort of online bookmarks thing that you could go online and check out other people's favourites - http://del.icio.us/ went online a year later. I coulda been a contender!

doing web design for a living is a bore. unless you get sweet design jobs where you have a lot of control and can do stuff that's different. I recently quit due to 2 years of mostly corporate horror sites etc.

the only time I find I enjoy design now is when I'm doing it for myself.

but yeah, it's pretty difficult to make a career change. good luck!!! :)

There's a lot that could be done to daft.ie to make it a lot better. There's niches in the market _Egg!

Ro becomes too intense by having to express himself for a living. Ro takes ten lessons in Fiat Punto and drives off the end of a pier. Tide is out, so instead of drowning Ro cuts his shin on rusty door handle, gets lockjaw and dies from birds nesting in his mouth.

egg - there is still a lot of potential in blogging, especially in Ireland. Might be something to think about.

By the way, the world has enough deadline-immune, flakey, stuck-up, prima donna web designers thank you very much.

(Not saying egg would be like this - it's just a general hate-filled generalisation.)

I project manage 8 websites for a government agency - so it's kind of civil service but the programme is a bit 'special' in that it is based in education and mostly aimed at 10-17 year olds. I manage the developers (i'm not too techy) and write and edit a good bit of the content and what have you. We meet folk that have set themselves up as consultants in areas like web strategy, online communications, media management etc. and they charge mad money cos they basically said..."i'm an expert in this field and i can say that because i've done x, y and z." Once one semi-state agency takes you on you'll pretty much get passed around and recommended if you are good. There's a wealth of work for someone that can talk the talk but still come up with the goods.

I project manage 8 websites for a government agency - so it's kind of civil service but the programme is a bit 'special' in that it is based in education and mostly aimed at 10-17 year olds. I manage the developers (i'm not too techy) and write and edit a good bit of the content and what have you. We meet folk that have set themselves up as consultants in areas like web strategy, online communications, media management etc. and they charge mad money cos they basically said..."i'm an expert in this field and i can say that because i've done x, y and z." Once one semi-state agency takes you on you'll pretty much get passed around and recommended if you are good. There's a wealth of work for someone that can talk the talk but still come up with the goods.
can i work for you?
i smell goooooooooooooooood*

*lie

egg - there is still a lot of potential in blogging, especially in Ireland. Might be something to think about.

Blogging, Podcasting, Moodles etc. are big news for the education sector now. Basically there's a massive problem in getting teachers (and the dept. of ed) to embrace innovative teching using technology. It's an area that can be really creative.

Blogging, Podcasting, Moodles etc. are big news for the education sector now. Basically there's a massive problem in getting teachers (and the dept. of ed) to embrace innovative teching using technology. It's an area that can be really creative.

yup, I work for educational clients too, and blogging is one thing we're pushing more and more. most unversities use moodle or something similar at this point too.

yup, I work for educational clients too, and blogging is one thing we're pushing more and more. most unversities use moodle or something similar at this point too.

Especially for the Transition Year age-group. Basically think of the usual heap of projects and crap they have to do... give them an online work space where they can talk to each other, swap ideas, present their work etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back