If I owned a pub I would... (2 Viewers)

I'm overweight and own a cowboy shirt...this could work. If only I had a hat

Try and get someone local to host a table quiz on a non-sport-on-telly night.

See if the local ICA group would hold any meetings/coffee mornings in the pub.

Host the local's 18th/21st birthdays which are a big thing down the country (which mystifies me).

The idea being just to get as many bums on seats.

Are you allowed to sell non food-stuffs? You come across bookshop-pubs and the likes across Europe but never in Ireland. Not that this would really make a lot of sense in that area, you could barely open one up in a heavily populated area these days, but just wondering...

The pub I would consider my "local" (even though I don't live anywhere near it these days) is The Club in Dalkey. The place is highly profitable because it has a "bar" area away from the lounge for serious drinking, they get the Dalkey Players drama society in after their rehearsals at least once a week (who spend a fortune on wine) and you can pop in there on a Thursday lunchtime and not be able to find a seat except at the bar as they get all the old folks up from the Sue Ryder Foundation retirement community which is just down the road. Serious money there.
When the time comes when you can serve meals you can let an independent group do it and pay you a percentage. You might not make as much as you would if you did it all yourself but I'd imagine there's a lot less hassle involved.

In the country it's diversify or die. Even the local Centra shop up the road from my parents in Wexford started doing full Sunday roast dinners to take away at the hot food counter for all the bachelor farmers who wouldn't have the wherewithal to cook one themselves. I thought that was very clever.
Anyway, there's a ton of great advice in this thread. I think a few more of us should be clubbing together to open a Thumped establishment in every county.

Also, watch the last few episodes of At Your Service on RTE on the RTE Player. John and Francis Brennan know the score.

I'm going to go stay in there hotel just to meet Francis.

Impeccably clean classes - as in polished not just run through the washer and left to develop water stains

Spotless toilets - without the "sanitised by swisher" mark of skank everywhere

Learn to pull a pint of Guinness - Hold the fucking glass, pull the handle down slowly, don't fuck the glass on the slop tray and flick the handle then walk off elsewhere. The goal is zero bubbles. Don't top off until the pint is actually ready. When topping off hold the pint vertical, use the back tap and place the tip under the head. Know when it's full - there will be a second surge - don't ever give someone a pint with the head flowing down the side.

you better go out and do some coaching

"no - you've fucked that up again, hand that over to me and try again"

When the time comes when you can serve meals you can let an independent group do it and pay you a percentage. You might not make as much as you would if you did it all yourself but I'd imagine there's a lot less hassle involved.

In the country it's diversify or die. .

Yeah, the 'leasing' out of food has been discussed for the future or something along those lines. I have no problem doing toasties and soup at the bar now but this is a lifestyle change for me as much as a career change and restaurants are hassle. A hassle I don't want but food brings people, that's a simple fact. I'm not a foodie. I'm allergic or need to avoid so much stuff that I can't even be bothered to be interested in food. I have a few ideas that could work and take the stress off me and I plan to try them out. I'm also having a bit renovation (and a lot of sprucing) done on the pub to section it off a bit more to make it more cosy. I even found out how to maximise the fire so the heat doesn't go up the chimney and actually heats the room. It's a one women show to start because it's extremely rural. It's my home with a possible business. So it will be more of... make it the best country pub it can be and test the waters slowly with ideas to see if they work in the future. I figure after about six months, I will know what avenues to explore off my very long list of ideas.

Sell Guinness. The only craft beers you should consider are Beamish or Murphys.
The only food you need is vegetable soup and toasties.
Keep the wireless in the bar on Radio Eireann.

Sell Guinness. The only craft beers you should consider are Beamish or Murphys.
The only food you need is vegetable soup and toasties.
Keep the wireless in the bar on Radio Eireann.
Exactly.
Well, White Gypsy Blond might work (Tipperary and all) but most places are finding it hard to keep in stock. Or so I was told.

It has been mentioned already but a pub that allows dogs would be great

The Welcome Inn was the only pub that would allow us to bring our dog in (he'd get a small glass of guinness and an ashtray of water)

Is this now illegal or has it just fallen out of favour?

I loved the fact dogs were allowed in the pubs I went to in England

Also, instead of the national anthem you should play this at closing time

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back