How are Road getting on? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 154
  • Views 19K
  • Watchers 13

i'm thinkning of buying an airline guitar. what do you think about that?

i like road. they're lovely people. i go in fairly often and i know what you mean about leaving empty handed. i usually pick up at least a cheap 7" or something.

I usually just ask them to put something behind the counter for me and I pick it up the next day. They've never seemed to mind that. Pretty much the same thing really.
i usually do that in that i e-mail them and i collect them the next time i'm in Dublin

i did phone them one friday as their was a vinyl record in that i really wanted and knew i'd be in dublin on the monday which was a good thing as they hadn't any of it left when i got their on the monday

Personally, I have always found them aloof and unapproachable. Not rude or anything but they always act a bit "too cool for school". That said, everyone should support their local independent record store IMHO.

i'm not a people person generally but i find them extremely likeable and approachable

if i percieve myself as being cool enough for their store, anyone is cool enough

anyway i might be heading to dublin on saturday so i'll drop into road then. it's been the end of august that i was last up

i usually do that in that i e-mail them and i collect them the next time i'm in Dublin

i did phone them one friday as their was a vinyl record in that i really wanted and knew i'd be in dublin on the monday which was a good thing as they hadn't any of it left when i got their on the monday

i'm not a people person generally but i find them extremely likeable and approachable

if i percieve myself as being cool enough for their store, anyone is cool enough

anyway i might be heading to dublin on saturday so i'll drop into road then. it's been the end of august that i was last up

So I've done some thinking and I feel City Discs is the same way. Maybe this is just how Indie record stores are in Dublin?

At any rate, Jim at Plugd was such a nice fella that maybe I am spoiled now... who knows.

Maybe Road Records is just not the record store for me. That doesn't mean Road Records is bad or anything. It just comes down to personal preference. I'm not slaging it and I think it's great that it's there. The more indie record stores the better!

Some people like some a store one way, other's another. We all have different preferences.

It's not my intention to offend anyone, I am just stating my opinion in an open forum. Apparently it's not shared or appreciated so I'll say no more and will leave the thread. Good evening all :)

So I've done some thinking and I feel City Discs is the same way. Maybe this is just how Indie record stores are in Dublin?

At any rate, Jim at Plugd was such a nice fella that maybe I am spoiled now... who knows.

Maybe Road Records is just not the record store for me. That doesn't mean Road Records is bad or anything. It just comes down to personal preference. I'm not slaging it and I think it's great that it's there. The more indie record stores the better!

Some people like some a store one way, other's another. We all have different preferences.

It's not my intention to offend anyone, I am just stating my opinion in an open forum. Apparently it's not shared or appreciated so I'll say no more and will leave the thread. Good evening all :)

Just saying, try freebird in temple bar. I find yer man there easy to talk to. I know what you mean to an extent - it's good to have a rapport with your local record store. Some people rub each other up the wrong way. Life's rich pagent etc.

i'm thinkning of buying an airline guitar. what do you think about that?

i like road. they're lovely people. i go in fairly often and i know what you mean about leaving empty handed. i usually pick up at least a cheap 7" or something.

yeah I like to buy something everytime I'm in there too, I haven't been in for the last 3 weeks for that reason, with the whole job situation I just haven't had the disposable income for records.

I've always found the Road staff to be very friendly, approachable and helpful when I've needed to order something and never felt it was a "too cool for school" place, in fact quite the opposite. They have always been encouraging of Irish musicians too and people should keep getting behind it!!.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

Me too!

Last few things I have bought in there are latest from..Yo La Tengo, Mum, Blue Roses and...... Brian Cullens Love Bullets :)

I leave Tower for old stuff, magazine reading and waiting for friends who are always late...

I was in HMV for 5 seconds on Saturday and had to get the hell out.

Me too!

Last few things I have bought in there are latest from..Yo La Tengo, Mum, Blue Roses and...... Brian Cullens Love Bullets :)

I leave Tower for old stuff, magazine reading and waiting for friends who are always late...

I was in HMV for 5 seconds on Saturday and had to get the hell out.

Awwww...thanks Jim. I'm gonna go in tmrw and get something nice...a really want some new records.

Ive never ever understood the idea of somewhere being "too cool". It doesnt make the least bit of sense to me - it always struck as a very insecure position to take. Although that could be just because Im so fucking cool.

I have been in there several times and the impression I got was that I wasn't cool enough to be in their store. Like he thought he was doing me a favour taking my dosh.

Ahh there grand in Road. I've only been in there a few times but taught they were fine. I think all record shops are like this anyway a bit. Go in to any piercing or tattoo shop in DUblin if you want some hardcore cooler-then-thou vibes!

Try getting a classic Saab 900 fixed at CD Motors and you'll know all about someone trying to make you feel small.

Livewire - could it be the layout of Road that's a problem for you? You can't hide behind the shelves like you can in a bigger shop, so if you were of a paranoid disposition you might feel like you were being watched

I'm the same as CPR, been buying 1 or 2 cds/records everytime I go in. Lots of Irish too. We decided to only stock our EP in Road and City Discs too to support the small independents.

As someone mentioned, Tower also take in records from Irish bands but take a huge cut (I think its €4 of a €5 sale!) or something prohibively high. Road are much fairer with the split...

As someone mentioned, Tower also take in records from Irish bands but take a huge cut (I think its €4 of a €5 sale!) or something prohibively high. Road are much fairer with the split...

That's absolutely not the case dude. On a €5 sale it's a 50/50 split. That's not to say that Road dont do a slightly better split but they are a slightly smaller shop with slightly smaller overheads. It's business innit guv'nor.

I go to Tower if I want to browse around, pick up 2 or 3 CDs that seem interesting on the spot.
I go to Road if there's a particular new release that I want, as they'll usually have it and that's the chance to support them. It's not a place for browsing for CDs really. I'm not into talking to people in shops so that doesn't concern me.

everyone should lay off the Bob Marleys

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If something doesnt give soon there wont be any record shops left in the city in 18 months. City centre retail is on it's knees and Dublin music retail is on it's belly with it's arms and legs tied behind its back while the internet fucks it in the ear laughing and squealing like a pig on its birthday. Bee bop a lula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back