How are Road getting on? (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 154
  • Views 19K
  • Watchers 13
I think they only open on Sundays near christmas and I think this has always been the case.
Anyway, popped in on Saturday for a bit of catch up purchasing...

good to see they set up that personal shopper service. I hate their website and was placing orders by e-mail. I got the impression they got a little bit annoyed with me for doing so though (actually, I'm pretty sure they did), which was a little offputting, so I stopped.

Now it seems they're welcoming ordering in that manner.

good to see they set up that personal shopper service. I hate their website and was placing orders by e-mail. I got the impression they got a little bit annoyed with me for doing so though (actually, I'm pretty sure they did), which was a little offputting, so I stopped.

Now it seems they're welcoming ordering in that manner.

I usually just ask them to put something behind the counter for me and I pick it up the next day. They've never seemed to mind that. Pretty much the same thing really.

It was something to do with the difference in how they manage orders via their website and those through e-mail. Its easier for them if its via the website, whereas e-mail orders are probably difficult enough for them to track if they have to order a title for you.

I'd rather call in personally but I'm almost never in town. I'll set up the personal shopper thing and resume buying from them. I haven't bought anything there since early July at this stage.

Personally, I have always found them aloof and unapproachable. Not rude or anything but they always act a bit "too cool for school". That said, everyone should support their local independent record store IMHO.

That's the only time i've ever seen anyone say such about Road and staff. Very odd.

Yeah every time I go there, sincerely. You never get greeted, but that's not unusual, however, not even being acknowledged is a bit off putting. If you're looking for something and you ask, they don't get ratty or anything but they don't do much to help you. They don't even offer to order something in for you and from a business perspective this isn't a good policy I would think.

I even tried being super friendly in an effort to get them to warm up a little bit (it's good to have a good relationship with your local independent record store) and I got nowhere.

I got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that the guy working the counter couldn't wait for me to leave so he could go back to surfing the net.

I went in last Friday afternoon and it was the same story.

However, I am only speaking for myself and my experience. Like I said you should always support your local independent record store. When I lived in Cork I did all my shopping at Plugd just because Jim was such a nice and helpful feen.

My experience of the store on the rare occasions I have called in in person have been nothing but positive.

They are helpful way above and beyond what was required. It makes me regret that I can't call in more.

My stopping buying stuff there for the last few months was more to do with my thinking I was annoying them. Not anything they did or said to me.

And with the personal shopper service I shall resume buying there straight away.

I have nothing but good to say about Road.

Yeah every time I go there, sincerely. You never get greeted, but that's not unusual, however, not even being acknowledged is a bit off putting. If you're looking for something and you ask, they don't get ratty or anything but they don't do much to help you. They don't even offer to order something in for you and from a business perspective this isn't a good policy I would think.

I even tried being super friendly in an effort to get them to warm up a little bit (it's good to have a good relationship with your local independent record store) and I got nowhere.

I got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that the guy working the counter couldn't wait for me to leave so he could go back to surfing the net.

you sure you're not talking about the secret book and record store?
;)

Whereas I find the staff very nice at Road during any verbal interaction, I do understand the comments about feeling an uncomfortable vibe in there. The few times where I have ordered things over the last couple of years there has never been a clear understanding of the process. Do they let you know when it's in or do you just need to stop by and check? Or maybe it's me just being awkward trying not to come off as a pushy American? "Where is my CD?!" I don't want to pester anyone so by the time I actually get the cd it's been out for ages in other places. Each time I go in I try to find something to buy but usually there is nothing that I don't already own or nothing I want. I always check there first, so I try to support but in most cases end up buying at other places who have what I'm looking for. Perhaps if I collected vinyl I'd have better luck in Road but I don't have a record player here.

That said, they are nice people but I just wish they had more I wanted to buy from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back