HMV's fucked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 33K
  • Watchers 7
Parallels with Game, they didn't honour the gift vouchers either, and disappeared much like HMV will probably do, it's pretty much theft.
problem for a shop like this is that if they stop selling vouchers, it's basically advertising that they're about to go to the wall, but without explicitly saying it. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

problem for a shop like this is that if they stop selling vouchers, it's basically advertising that they're about to go to the wall, but without explicitly saying it. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The shittiest thing game did in a related way was that in the weeks leading up to closing they told staff to push really hard to get people to trade in their games, not even against new purchases, just to put the credit on their game cards.

In effect they were stealing their customers' games.

The shittiest thing game did in a related way was that in the weeks leading up to closing they told staff to push really hard to get people to trade in their games, not even against new purchases, just to put the credit on their game cards.

In effect they were stealing their customers' games.

that was a shitty move - wasnt aware of that. since the recession the'res been a real private sector good/public sector bad lark going one which really misses the point that most retail chains achieve chainhood by being utter fuckers to as many of their staff suppliers and customers as
possible.

theres a great quote in the first chapter of the grapes of wrath I must dig out ...

its not the entrepreneurs who will save the republic, but the indie bedwetters.

If i worked in HMV and they owed me money I'd be out the door with everything that wasn't nailed down, then I'd get a nail bar and go for the other stuff. Then leave them a receipt.

...which is probably why the staff were only told after closing on the last day.

Screenshot2013-01-17at161238_zps69e5c604.png

nice gesture...but!
why am i so cynical about this..snap out of it Bonsai...

i was looking hard for a point to be cynical. i think its 'help me help you'.

golden discs get positive viral advertising
golden disc get increased footfall at a low markup (i'm guessing with the 20%)
golden disc pay charity some cash instead of taxman
people get something back for their money.

seems like a good move all round.

yea but the offer is a bit shit though. You have to spend €8 to use a €10 voucher.
If they were offering to honor HMV vouchers I'd be impressed.

actually i was thinking along the lines of the vouchers never being honoured.

if hmv are forced to honour them by the NCA, then its a windfall for golden discs, from the corpses of their rivals.

20c on the euro is more than they'll get through the other method. Did I read correctly earlier that some restaurants were offering €1 on the €1 meals and drinks?

i was looking hard for a point to be cynical. i think its 'help me help you'.

golden discs get positive viral advertising
golden disc get increased footfall at a low markup (i'm guessing with the 20%)
golden disc pay charity some cash instead of taxman
people get something back for their money.

seems like a good move all round.

it's similar to the tape exchange that golden discs did a couple of months ago http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2012/0824/1224322852750.html

it's actually pretty much the same offer.

it's a way of golden discs to get more people in their shops and the cost involved for them is less than the mark up they receive while for the people with hmv vouchers, they're better off than the worthless pieces of paper they have now with the hmv logo on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back