HMV's fucked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 7
New Godspeed record was 35 bucks in Tower. Single vinyl. I said fuck that and downloaded it. Usually don't do that but that price was exorbitant.

does this affect the valletta branch?

30njgi1.jpg

They own 50% of ATP as well, I wonder how will that affect them?

New Godspeed record was 35 bucks in Tower. Single vinyl. I said fuck that and downloaded it. Usually don't do that but that price was exorbitant.
Seen that, went into Elastic Witch and asked Gibby how much the Godspeed album was. He said "around €24, haven't gotten it in yet. I take it you've seen the price Tower are selling it at?" He said he couldn't understand how/why they were charging so much for it.

I used to manage maybe two or three such trips a year when I was a teenager. It was definetly a full days work checking out all the shops when you could only afford about 3 tapes and had to choose carefully.

yeah - think about one every 6 months was about as much as I managed until I moved to dublin. on first such one(95/96) I bought these on sale in comet, all on vinyl.
cover__300cmyk.jpg

soup_blindmelon.jpg

610c6174a896d003777ce7af8ed8b2193872e6b6.JPG

first 3 records(ie vinyl) I ever bought.
ah the nostalgia, kids nowadays etc etc etc

The haven't really been a music shop in years...more of a DVD store that carries a handful of CDs...of mostly ancient back catalogue stuff that you either have already or have zero interest in......... and over in the corner a couple of copies of Howard Marks' book.

This is a bad sign. I really really miss the record shop from my town. Yis'll all be sorry when record shops are gone.
I'm hardly ever in Dublin during the day but sometimes I find myself in some shit mall and I'll go into the HMV (or the like) just for the experience of flicking through stuff and marvel at how cheap the albums are that I already have and usually how expensive the one album I want to buy is.

[video=youtube_share;i28UEoLXVFQ]http://youtu.be/i28UEoLXVFQ[/video]

Well hopefully this helps the likes of Tower, Freebird, Plugd, Elastic Witch etc. Have a lot of good memories queuing outside HMV Grafton st for new releases but better them than any of the aforementioned.

I don't think it will, I couldn't see the average Joe Soap who buys the newest Coldplay album opting for an indie-bed wetting record store.

I popped into Tower over Christmas and the place has gotten really dingy. Window display had cheaply printed posters, couldn't find the 'Irish' (local bands), magazine racks in awful order. They need to dial in the assistance of a Mary 'Queen of Shops'. If your product is nicely organised/faced off, I'm more likely to buy it.

Tower's random pricing might possibly have something to do with them getting single copies of certain titles from one-stop distributors, which usually came with a hefty markup when I worked at HMV in the early 00s.

I haven't seen it mentioned but I bet that supermarkets are also a significant factor in the demise of retailers like HMV. Dunnes, Tesco etc. all sell best selling cds to the very people most likely to buy a cd and not just download or source vinyl. Anyway I say bring back Tape2Tape. I haven't bought all that many cds in HMV over the last number of years. A few ultra-bargain compilations like Motown double CDs for €3 or €4 and the like. If I really need to buy a cd or dvd I'll look in the local Golden Discs first. It's quieter, less blaring music, easier to get around.

I don't think it will, I couldn't see the average Joe Soap who buys the newest Coldplay album opting for an indie-bed wetting record store.

I popped into Tower over Christmas and the place has gotten really dingy. Window display had cheaply printed posters, couldn't find the 'Irish' (local bands), magazine racks in awful order. They need to dial in the assistance of a Mary 'Queen of Shops'. If your product is nicely organised/faced off, I'm more likely to buy it.

Irish releases are now integrated with the main ones I think.

it's a bit mental. what are the high streets going to look like in 10 years?

on a related note, ive only got round to downloading spotify this evening. no more searching for songs on youtube for background browsing tunes. it appears to be the biz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back