HMV's fucked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 7
hopefully it won't be a repeat of when Game went into administration and they just closed the irish branches

Fuckdem.I feel bad for the workers..

There'll be more room for the indies outta this though.

Fuckdem.I feel bad for the workers..

There'll be more room for the indies outta this though.

But they haven't actually closed anything down yet - as of right now they're still trading, although for how long is another matter.

Their shop in Blanch is always busy... was completely mental in there just before Christmas.

Blanch is a notorious tech blackspot.

Only torrents they get around there are torrents of bath salts

I really really pity employees in Cruises Street who have to spend the next month explaining to every scobe in Limerick why the gift card they got from Uncle Johnsie won't work, and then have to explain again to Uncle Johnsie when he comes in to "sort it the fuck out like"...all the while knowing that a shitty redundancy payment sits at the end of it all.

I really really pity employees in Cruises Street who have to spend the next month explaining to every scobe in Limerick why the gift card they got from Uncle Johnsie won't work, and then have to explain again to Uncle Johnsie when he comes in to "sort it the fuck out like"...all the while knowing that a shitty redundancy payment sits at the end of it all.

They're not entitled to repudiate gift cards / vouchers in Ireland - not that it'll stop them.

http://www.cearta.ie/2013/01/i-cant...-administration-fails-then-hmv-might-go-away/

They're not entitled to repudiate gift cards / vouchers in Ireland - not that it'll stop them.

http://www.cearta.ie/2013/01/i-cant...-administration-fails-then-hmv-might-go-away/

That may be the case legally but if the staff at the till have been told not to take them then they won't. Should have known something was up when I went in twice in the past 2 weeks looking to get Assasin's Creed 3 with my voucher and they didn't have it in stock. Supplier may have put a stop on them, which was an early indicator when Game were about to go under.

feel bad for the workers alright. 300+.

its gas, when I was a young lad we used to come up to dublin on a sat and spend the whole day going from one record shop to another. soon enough you'll be able to do them all in an hour and a half.

one of the lads here was speculating that whatever security company they use probably won't be sending staff in, for fear of not being paid. and that the staff will be too dispirited to tackle any shoplifting, so stock will probably start to disappear.

Shops that lack any sort of personality, useless staff who probably don't listen to music, over-priced on non-promotion stuff. Fuck 'em, good riddance.

one of the lads here was speculating that whatever security company they use probably won't be sending staff in, for fear of not being paid. and that the staff will be too dispirited to tackle any shoplifting, so stock will probably start to disappear.

haha your friend is an idiot!

its gas, when I was a young lad we used to come up to dublin on a sat and spend the whole day going from one record shop to another. soon enough you'll be able to do them all in an hour and a half.

I'm normally able to do all the northside shops on me half hour lunch break these days.

I don't know if the independents will do much better out of this, from what I could see HMV weren't selling vinyl anyways

Well hopefully this helps the likes of Tower, Freebird, Plugd, Elastic Witch etc. Have a lot of good memories queuing outside HMV Grafton st for new releases but better them than any of the aforementioned.

Aye, true.
Although having said that, I popped into Tower yesterday and was shocked at how much a lot of the metal stuff cost. Over €20 for kvelartak's album. Sweet Jesus

735115_490267637689977_2128212844_n.jpg

I used to manage maybe two or three such trips a year when I was a teenager. It was definetly a full days work checking out all the shops when you could only afford about 3 tapes and had to choose carefully.

I read not long ago that HMV had come up with a new plan - to start selling lots of vinyl. Recently it was hard to know what you might expect to find in it - some music, some gadgets, dvds, the odd book and magazine. If you wanted any of those things you'd probably find a better selection at another shop.

The prices in tower are a bit all over the place. You can pick up some records for €16, there are doubles with the cd included for about €20, then there are other single albums that cost €26 or €30. Makes me think that pricing is probably not all up to them. I really wish they would alphabetise their vinyl a bit better and put in seperators with band names like they have in the cds, I hate wading through those big unsorted boxes. I'm rarely inclined to impulse purchases of cds now but vinyl might still tempt me if it wasn't so offputting to browse them.

haven't gotten into collecting vinyl. I know I won't. Don't have the space for it. Or a record player. Or the space for a record player

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back