HMV's fucked (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 33K
  • Watchers 7
Burritos are deadly.

Chimichanga though..thats the message here.

Also..HMV shops all closed today.

Huh, I love Tower. Great location, nice staff, regular in-stores. Layout makes sense, new releases at the front, records for the anoraks down the back, DVDs upstairs. The cafe is great. And isn't the Irish Independent section bang in the middle of the ground floor. The window usually looks great and I'd have no complaints if some of the posters are cheaply printed, especially as they're often my posters!

I don't think it would take much to up their standard a bit (to please me). It's just tired looking.

What has the been the biggest record store in Ireland? Virgin on Aston Quay? That used to be a nice shop.

My main beef with non-indie record shops is the selection is usually poor, no back catalogs, it's all about the present. A warehouse-sized record store would be pretty cool in Dublin (like Amoeba records).

I like Tower,but really only look at the vinyl. And at that,they really could do with some kind of proper organisation at that. I'm not sure how other sections fare,but there's more punk in the A-Z than there is in the punk section.

I worked in HMV in belfast for a long time,that shop in particular att the time used to pride itself in it's back catalogue. Didn't take long for them to become a chart shop. But then most big shops are all about turnover,so it was coming.

Secret Freebird would be my shop of choice these days though.

I have to wonder what effect the lack of HMV will have on manufacturers though. It's gotta have some impact on that and then how that will effect supply to smaller shops etc,and downlod sales too for that matter.

Also, does anyone want to open up a small record store in my bookshop in Swords? Golden Discs is currently your only competitor in an electoral area of 60,000 bods.

Heard the report on the radio yesterday about HMV. It seems Universal has been paying the rent on a good few of their shops, just to keep them going and to make sure their merch was "on the high-street", also yearly turnover of £1billion.
An interesting point was also made that HMV stores (and other real shops) are what keep back catalogue stuff selling. Makes sense.
Any way, even if a % of that Billion goes digital that's still a lot of money looking for somewhere to be spent.

Heard the report on the radio yesterday about HMV. It seems Universal has been paying the rent on a good few of their shops, just to keep them going and to make sure their merch was "on the high-street", also yearly turnover of £1billion.
An interesting point was also made that HMV stores (and other real shops) are what keep back catalogue stuff selling. Makes sense.
Any way, even if a % of that Billion goes digital that's still a lot of money looking for somewhere to be spent.

I think and I could be wrong, a significant amount of people do like to browse, physically, go out for the day shopping versus online convenience.

However, depending on the margins there might not be enough people who want to do that to sustain stores like HMV as currently constituted. The comments by many that it lost its identity in the scrum for videogame/books/DVD market share etc. seem quite valid too. Browsing in a quality record store is akin to reading a quality newspaper. There'll be articles you would never dream of reading in the paper except that they're there beside things you know you're interested in.

One thing that I always found strange in HMV and other music stores in Britain/Ireland, they've never adopted that barcode scanning listening technology I saw in the US in the '90s. You just scan the back of the CD/vinyl and can listen to snippets or whole tunes from any cd in the store. HMV always had those shitty listening stations with only a limited selection.

Browsing in a quality record store is akin to reading a quality newspaper. There'll be articles you would never dream of reading in the paper except that they're there beside things you know you're interested in.

i've been in hog heaven since i moved closer to wingnut.

is that google doodle about you today?

There are increased fears for the 300 jobs at HMV Ireland following the appointment of receivers this afternoon.
The 16 shops in the Republic will remain closed for the immediate future, while the receivers examine the business and look for a buyer.
A receivership is more serious than the administration process, which is in place in Britain.
Deloitte has been appointed receivers by HMV's lenders.
The receivers said they are assessing the viability of the business and examining costs, including property overheads.
They cannot say when the shops might reopen.
Receivership means customers with vouchers will definitely face a loss.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0116/hmv-vouchers.html

Sad times.

I stopped depending on HMV for new releases many years ago but used to call into the one in Newbridge every couple of weeks and would always buy something. Usually some back catalogue CDs or a DVD.

The Grafton St shop was great for the first few years as was the Virgin Megastore. I started doing the Dublin shopping trip in 1986 - usually three times a year. Would take a full day to do it.

HMV in Limerick staff are having a sit-in because they're owed backpay from Dec/Jan and have been told they won't be getting it.

They won't get jack shit out of that I'm afraid. Friend of mine did that with the Game staff and it was eventually made clear to them that no one wwas going to do anything to back them.

Parallels with Game, they didn't honour the gift vouchers either, and disappeared much like HMV will probably do, it's pretty much theft. Also reminds me of when Chartbusters went bust, the staff were only told at closing time they'd have no jobs the next day.
Makes me admire that father that walked out of HMV without paying for the games he got on vouchers earlier today, righteous.
*Even though he took crap games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back