HMV's fucked (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 33K
  • Watchers 7
feel bad for the workers alright. 300+.

its gas, when I was a young lad we used to come up to dublin on a sat and spend the whole day going from one record shop to another. soon enough you'll be able to do them all in an hour and a half.
yeah, road records, city discs, borderline, abbey discs all gone and now hmv, just tower and freebird left now

Screenshot2013-01-17at161238_zps69e5c604.png

I've a HMV gift card but with nothing left on it, would I be right in saying Golden Discs have no way of checking this.

If so at least a little good has come out of this HMV closure !!

HMV in Ireland is to close for good with the loss of 300 jobs, the receiver has announced.

Deloitte Ireland partner David Carson was appointed as receiver to the entertainment retail chain in the middle of January with the stated aim of carrying out an "assessment of the viability of the company and its cost structure, including property occupational costs".

However, Mr Carson has today confirmed that HMV's 16 stores will not reopen and all 300 staff, previously placed on temporary lay-off, will now be made redundant.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0212/breaking33.html

wonder what will happen to the stock?

there was a popup music shop on dame st last year - i strongly suspect it got a lot of its stock from fire sales after other shops closing down

I suspect a lot of it would be going back to distributors because they're probably owed a fortune already.

I suspect a lot of it would be going back to distributors because they're probably owed a fortune already.

it would really depend on the terms of the sale of the stock to hmv.

some distributors would have included in their terms of sale a retention of title until the stock is paid for by the purchaser (hmv) and in this case, it should still belong to them.

however, if the retention of title is not there, then the stock is an asset of the company and thus would belong to whoever has a floating charge over the current assets (fixed assets would be subject to a fixed charge as they would be permanent). if the value of the stock is greater than the liabilities of the floating charge relates then they go to the creditors in order of seniority which is a standard based on company legislation.

yeah, what i said.

the stock has more value if stays with the HMV brand. apparently none of hmv irelands landlords would lower rent and that killed the company. a rebought hmv in smaller premises with the same stock could be a solid business for 2-3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back