HELP THE DOGS!!!!!!!! (3 Viewers)

my leg was badly savaged by a sheepdog a few years ago - a typically gentle breed.

Thats surprisingly untrue, sheepdogs are quite domineering and like to be the boss. I was reading about some testing that they did on breeds. It gauges the respose and aggression of dogs. collies and sheepdogs ranked quite low on it. Terriers and labradors were even lower.

tour_2004.jpg

in that case, deal with the human, exterminating the animal is not the option!!
How? Force some old lady to go on a dog training course, and make sure that she keeps her dog on a leash at all times in the future? How in the name o god are you going to do that?

my leg was badly savaged by a sheepdog a few years ago - a typically gentle breed. But i dont blame the dog, i blame the bitch who kept her and trained her to act in such a way.
You mean a collie? They're not gentle dude, ask any country dweller

a boat can't:

- sniff for drugs
- be a blind person's eyes
- catch a frisbee/stick/ball
- sniff for cancer
- be a loyal companion
- let you dress it up in silly clothes

in fairness, all a boat does is float on water

Must spread rep...

Seriously though, whatever happened to dog licences? When was that done away with? Maybe if it was a little bit harder to get a dog people would look after them more?

A fella from the council was on Ireland AM this morning, basically said that this law is aimed at the scumbags, we know who they are, we're not going to take away some grannie's much-loved pet.

Which, from a rule of law point of view is pretty reprehensible, and unworkable I would have thought.

How? Force some old lady to go on a dog training course, and make sure that she keeps her dog on a leash at all times in the future? How in the name o god are you going to do that?

egg, read pantone's post again. who was the asshole - the dog who ran up to them barking, or the owner who had trained/encouraged/seen the dog behave that way, failing to teach them otherwise over a period of time sitting back and saying "ah i knew he's go after the little one"

sorry but i dont think putting down a dog is fair when thei human fucked them up. this is not a solution, it's a scapegoat. maybe there needs to be a place built to take care of dogs of this nature, have the dogs taken away from the owner and the owner fined. i dont know. but what the coucil proposed is ludicrous

Can you drive 100 plus cars on to a dog and sail it to Fishgaurd? Can you?

Case Closed.

yeah, that's a pretty important use allright... but at the end of the day, all the boat does is float on water.
you could train the dog to sail the boat. can you train a boat to sniff for drugs?

case closed

egg, read pantone's post again. who was the asshole - the dog who ran up to them barking, or the owner who had trained/encouraged/seen the dog behave that way, failing to teach them otherwise over a period of time sitting back and saying "ah i knew he's go after the little one"
Doesn't matter who the asshole is, La La. What's to be done about it is what matters ...
maybe there needs to be a place built to take care of dogs of this nature, have the dogs taken away from the owner and the owner fined.
Some sort of dog mental hospital, paid for by the taxpayer? I don't think that's very likely to happen

My brother called up Adrian Kennedy or someone years ago on this subject, and someone made the same suggestion you make above, to which my brother replied "you're trying to create a DOG CIVILISATION!". Made me laugh

Y'know dude, it doesn't really matter whether the dog or the human is at fault, the net result is the same ... if a) a dog is vicious and the dog is at fault the dog gets put down while if b) a dog is vicious and the owner is at fault the dog gets taken off the owner and put in the dog pound and 2 weeks later gets put down

These owners shouldn't get the dogs in the first place. It's an idiotic idea that's gonna upset a lot of people. It's been written up purely out of laziness and knowing that it will have the support of people who don't know anything about dogs, and people who are worried about their childs safety. The whole thing is flawed. I don’t like flawed legislation. I don’t like the idea that it’ll happen not because it’s right but because it’s got poorly informed public support. That is just plain bullshit.

Why is it inconceivable that some breeds are more likely to be dangerous than others? They look different, why wouldn't they have different personalities?

Some might say that's racist.
So, dog lovers, what would you do about scary dogs? Obviously the best solution from a dog-owner and public safety point of view would be to license dog owners in the same way drivers are licensed ... but that's not going to happen, so what's the next best thing. Keep things the way they are?

Scary dogs can be retrained. I've seen it done. That's not always practical, we have more dogs than we know what to do with. So, that means that a lot of them are going to be put to sleep. Dogs getting killed isn't my big problem with this. That happens every day. It's "let's just kill certain dogs who live with the Corpo. In Dublin. It's fine because we can get away with it."

Dog owners need training courses. There's not a lot in dog psychology though. It's common sense. If you're spending big €€€€€'s on a dog then it makes sense.
Animal neutering and spaying should probably be free.

Raising a dog to kill is no different than walking around with a big machete in your hand. It should be treated as such.
Being unable to raise a dog and letting it run wild is no different than reckless driving. It should be treated as such.

can you train a boat to sniff for drugs?

okay you can keep the drug sniffing dogs

but all the rest of them are all going on the fire, okay?

case.

closed.

(imagine DCC just decided to save money and have a big bonfire down the docklands for all the dogs, people had to bring their own dogs or face a heavy fine. People would freak the fuck out, it'd be hilarious! The smell would be rank though.)

Some might say that's racist.

you HAVE to be taking the piss

Anyhow I think what's always interesting about stuff like this is how I wager most folks defending dogs here grew up with dogs and are incapable of seeing how weird and odd it is to people who didn't grow up with dogs that dog owners have such a real and visceral emotional attachment to something that just wants food and to be let outside to poo now again and beyond on that doesn't give a hoot about the people around it.

Anyhow I think what's always interesting about stuff like this is how I wager most folks defending dogs here grew up with dogs and are incapable of seeing how weird and odd it is to people who didn't grow up with dogs that dog owners have such a real and visceral emotional attachment to something that just wants food and to be let outside to poo now again and beyond on that doesn't give a hoot about the people around it.

What about Lassie?

lads, leave the fucking boats out of this. my granddad has a boat, and it's a good boat. if the government start taking boats, what next?

such a real and visceral emotional attachment to something that just wants food and to be let outside to poo now again and beyond on that doesn't give a hoot about the people around it.

You're describing cats there...

Dogs need to be part of a pack, and a human owner/family fulfills that role for them. They have a strong attachment to the people around them

Why?

Dogs do care as much as their brains allow. They are pack animals. They will care for the members of their pack. They do make a connection. It will try to protect the pack, to heal members of the pack when they're sick, to keep the pack happy. It won't try to feed you because you're the pack leader and that's your job. That’s how its brain is wired.

When you get wild dogs, like the one you met in the park, it’s because the owner doesn’t behave like a pack leader, so the dog takes that role. The dog feels it has to or else the pack will be fecked. And, since dogs aren’t usually very bright, it runs amock*.

Cats on the other hand are more solitary. What you’re saying applies more to cats. But that doesn’t mean they can’t show affection within the context of their brain-wiring.

*Dogs bred to fight or attack are a little different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back