Guitarists talking about their gear (1 Viewer)

i love watching these type of videos, but i'm always amused by way they frequently start by saying that they have a very simple setup, then go on to detail pre-amp + power amp + power conditioner + isocab + drawers of pedals + midi control thingy.

I was going to do a "gear" piece to welcome all our new facebook likers (up nearly 50% in a day) but I started this instead.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that 1959 les paul would fetch around $200k on the open markey now. mad.

The more I look at the posts on this thread the more I wish I knew what the hell I was doing when it comes to guitar and stuff

Harmony Central just posted a 6 part interview with Ty Tabor. Here's the part where he talks tone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Whats to know?

Serious Question.

agreed.

like, there are extremes, like ty tabor who went to the trouble of rack mounting particular guitar pickups to get the tone he wanted! i dunno how that would even work! on the other extreme a friend of mine was working on a tour with m ward last year. m ward always seems to have a great guitar tone, but my friend was saying that he's show up at a gig, plug into whatever rented fender twin amp was there and change nothing! it got so my mate who was doing monitors, or the front of house guy, would set up the amp for him. he just knows fuck all about amps and tones.

Whats to know?

Serious Question.

I'm just jelaous of the in depth knowledge people have about these things- if I knew more I might experiment a bit more. I might be able to get sounds from my amp that I hadn't considered--simple things like Eddie Cocrhan putting a P90 at the neck pickup-- i'd never have thought of that..I might be able to do my own modifications and repairs

all that sort of stuff

I was reading someplace recently an article by yer man Jack Encino maybe,cant recall now..anyway..he has an anecdote about this lad he knows(a rich bloke with a massive collection of gear)who could never get the "tone" he was after...one night thers a party in yer mans gaf and a jam inevtibley breaks out and some session lad from Detriot was there(a bloke renowned for his tone)..and he just picked up yermans guitar and voila..there was the tone!

I mean thats an extreme example but it says a lot...Like yer man from Big Sandies band..That lad would get that sound outta any auld shitbox I reckon...

mind you..and as you know I'm only a recent convert...but TUBES are the most impoertant element to a decent sound IMHO..

Fuck swapping out yer pickups and all that malarky..just get some kinda tube amp and a tone that WORKS for YOU and don't be fucking worrying about trying to get a sound thats like something else...because due to the infinite variables in sound reproduction its COMPLETELY a fools errand...and is pointless anyway..you've more chance of turning people on with something they WON't have heard before..which is totally doable.

and sure,and I don't mean to be condescending Johnny..but you will doubtless be using a gee load of reverb if I'm not mistaken...thats almost like putting distortion
on....

I don't use reverb at all really - slapback echo and maybe bigger echo for solos

and sometimes tremelo

I have a Tube screamer too that I must start using

I'm happy enough with the sounds I get from my gear but it's a bit like my car..I'd like to know more about what is going on under the bonnet..

I meant to say slap back..apologies dude..I fucking love your guitar tone man...

I'm the opposite about this stuff.I don't give a monkeys whats going on under the bonnet of me car as long as I can get to Tesco's in it.

Which reminds me,I need to get me car looked at...

I hear those tube screamers are fucking deadly..I wanna get one

speaking of which, my car is in the garage right now-- they haven't a clue how to fix it cos thre are no electronics

pfft!

here, I never got thet VHS tape back off you

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back