Graphic novel recommendations (1 Viewer)

Frank Miller's Hard Boiled is fantastic. The story is good, even though it's all kinda Blade Runner-y, but Geoff Darrow's illustrations are incredible. Loads of little things to pick out.

Miller fans should check this out. Really hard-boiled crime stuff. With superheroes.

0785118055.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0919359086.01.LZZZZZZZ

Be careful about getting into Cerebus. you have to hate women for a start.
also its long.... real long..... as long as any graphic novel has ever been.... ever.

I is John said:
Be careful about getting into Cerebus. you have to hate women for a start.

Cheers. :rolleyes:

I've only read the first two and they're both great. Really inventive, smart and funny. Apparently Sim has turned into a bit of a raving nutter though, hence the rampant misogyny in later volumes (so I'm told). Still though, writing a comic about a talking aardvark for twenty years might just do that to you. :D

that ding dong code was secret. traitors all.

great suggestions, also:

1.jpg

jeff smith's BONE.

don't let the disneyish characters put you off, it's fantastic. very addictive.

it's been a while since i read it but i'd recommend "judgement on gotham" too.

Happy Noodle Boy said:
hence the rampant misogyny in later volumes (so I'm told).
At one point Cerebus becomes pope, and being infallible and all, declares he is married to another character and rapes her. Dave Sim's point being along the lines of "if she's married to him it isn't really rape".

Dave Sim's essays are fucking scary.

Also, I don't know how I forgot Bone. I have this amazing one volume collection of it. It's expensive and all, but it's so fucking epic.

Read Transmetropolitan: Back on the streets last night. Very cool.

Then read most of the Saga of the Swamp Thing. Aces.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
n

Phil said:
At one point Cerebus becomes pope, and being infallible and all, declares he is married to another character and rapes her. Dave Sim's point being along the lines of "if she's married to him it isn't really rape".

Dave Sim's essays are fucking scary.

I think he was pointing out the sexism there, that was back when he was still happily married and seen as the comic book writer that appeals to women as well as men.

as far as i know its somewhere around issue 200 where he states that women should never have got the vote and his readership halved overnight, and all the women working with him quit.

he said himself that Cerebus's story pretty much ends at issue 200 and the last 100 issues are more his musings on hating women and life in general.

his essays are scary cos they're so convincing.

hmm, just finished reading a friends copy of gorazde by joe sacco.(havent scanned this whole thread..this is prob mentioned)best comic ive read in a long while. the author is in bosnia (specifically gorazde) and the book is made up of peoples recollections of the war. certainly the first journalistic comic ive ever read... what struck me was how much "reality" was packed into the panels of the comic, far more than any cnn report would be able tyo impart... i think he wrote a graf novel called Palestine as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back