General Election 24th May (2 Viewers)

In fairness, not as much as Cowen would hate giving up even one to the Greens. There's no decent Govt. can come out of that election result.

There was all this talk of a FF/Green/PD/Ind combo earlier today to offer more stability in case one of the groups walked with Harney guarunteed health. If that were that case and I were the greens there's no no way I'd agree to one full cabinet position and a "super" junior minister position when the PD's get arguably the 4th most important job in the cabinet with a third of the Greens seats.

I reckon they might. But I don't think the rank and file would accept it. But then again, they might if they were promised that they'd pull out if they weren't getting satisfaction. Sure, Bertie will promise themwhat they want and renege.

In fairness, not as much as Cowen would hate giving up even one to the Greens. There's no decent Govt. can come out of that election result.
whats your idea of a daycent government so? out of what we have, they are all fairly crap in their own way, there was nobody i really wanted to vote for but i did what i thought would do the least damage

whats your idea of a daycent government so? out of what we have, they are all fairly crap in their own way, there was nobody i really wanted to vote for but i did what i thought would do the least damage
biografia-fidel-castro.jpg

But what I meant was there'd be no stable Govt.
What we have to vote for is always going to be a compromise of principles, at best. They're all shit and have nothing to say for themselves, except, "Can I have your cheque if you're not using it, Trevor?"

Parlon took his fall with a lot of grace I thought, hes fierce good lookin in real life and very pleasant to deal with. I have to say of all the political parties ive met face to face the pds are deffo the most pleasant mannered and daycent, sinn fein and ff press office are a shower of knackers

im not sure, i'll check

i asked my mommy and she said that if there's no agreement, there'll be another one

however, in 1987 i think Haughey was in charge of a minority government until he called another election in 1989 with the hope of getting a majority.

well i'm happy the greens is off. what with the overrun in negotiations, that just wasn't a good sign for the future government that the greens could prevent over runs in a FF/Green government

though it is a big shame that sergeant doesn't look like he'll be an tanaiste for the time being

well i'm happy the greens is off. what with the overrun in negotiations, that just wasn't a good sign for the future government that the greens could prevent over runs in a FF/Green government
I interpreted the overrun and collapse of negotiations as the greens sticking to their guns, which was v positive in my mind. And now, according to LMFM, FF are approaching them again ...

An appeal to the Green Party
SHANNON: TOO BIG A PRICE TO PAY

The Green Party has an honourable record on opposing the use of Shannon by US military on their way to and from Iraq.
John Gormley, Trevor Sargent and Patricia McKenna have spoken on anti-war demonstrations and hundreds of Green Party members have taken part in protests against the use of Shannon by US troops.

Section 13 of the Green Party election manifesto declares that the Green Party is committed to ending the "use of Shannon airport by US military forces involved in the war in Iraq and insist that any aircraft suspected of involvement in illegal movments of prisoners must be searched"

During a recent Dail debate on the Nordic Battle groups (5th April 2007) Trevor Sargent was trenchant in his condemnation of the military use of Shannon by U.S troops. ..' 'Most disgracefully we continue to facilitate more than 1million US troops that have passed through Shannon Airport on the way to what started as an illegal and immoral war. It remains immoral, whatever about the retrospective sanction from the United Nations. It was a war of invasion which we should not have supported.'
Such sentiments should be applauded as one of the most consistent opponents of the Iraqi invasion by the coalition forces.

Pledge

The Green Party position against the use of Shannon reflects a wider opposition to the war across Ireland. 58% of the population is against the use of Shannon by US troops, as the recent independent poll commissioned by PANA to Lansdowne Market Research Survey found.
Some Green candidates who stood in the election have signed a pledge drawn up the Irish Anti-War Movement, Peace and Neutrality Alliance and NGOPA demanding the withdrawal of permission for the US military to fly through Shannon.
The pledge stated that: "We the undersigned give a firm commitment that if elected, we will not participate in any government that allows Shannon airport or other Irish facilities to be used by the United States to conduct war in Iraq or in any other Imperialist war.".
The six Green Party candidates who did sign were:

Patricia McKenna (Dublin Central)
David Healy (Dublin North East)
Bronwen Maher (Dublin North Central)
Niall OBrolchain (Galway West)
David Grey (Kerry North)
John Hickey (Kerry South)
Green Party leader, Trevor Sargent has not signed the pledge, claiming that the Green Party had "no pre-conditions" in negotiations for government, including the use of Shannon.

Ciaran Cuffe referred us to Section 13 of the Green Party 2007 Manifesto which commits the party to ending the use of Shannon Airport by US forces, but did not sign the pledge. Party Chairperson and chief negotiator for government, John Gormley did not sign and referred us to the party's convention which "could not lay down any preconditions on any issue". Notwithstanding, he had not hesitation in assuring us that the issue of Shannon would be "an absolute priority".
Credibility

What credibility would the Green Party have if they engaged in some sort of a trade off over the use of Shannon? Private hospitals, corruption, climate change are very important concerns. But they cannot be exchanged for participating in a war to which practically every Green supporter is opposed.
Such terms of negotiation are simply unacceptable. Of course, Fianna Fail is only too keen to apply the pressure. It desperately needs the support of the Green Party but it is also deeply committed to allowing the US to continue to use Shannon.

Bertie Ahern has flatly rejected ending the United States military's use of Shannon airport as one of the prices of putting together a coalition with Independents, or the Greens. On May 31st he said "I will not change my position on Shannon." Dermot Ahern in a letter to the Irish Anti War movement justifies the use of Shannon declaring that Ireland has been making over-flight and landing facilities available to the US over a long period. However as Green Party member Ed Horgan's case against the government proved, there are no examples of US troops being granted official permission to use Shannon during a war.
Ahern also claimed to us that the UN resolutions approve what he calls "the multinational task force that is making progress in Iraq". The fact is that it is a US led occupation, backed by the UK, and that it has led to the deaths of over 650,000 Iraqis.
Ireland has allowed no less than 500,000 US troops to pass through Shannon airport since March 2003 and therefore is a key player in Bush's war. FF is prepared to do anything to keep the Empire sweet including relinquishing Irish neutrality.

Ireland has no legal obligation in International Law arising from ourmembership of the United Nations to allow US planes to land in Shannon Airport on their way to and from the war in Iraq. The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Switzerland, a member state of the United Nations said that under the Hague Convention of 1907, a cornerstone of International Law, a state which wishes to be regarded as neutral, cannot allow its territory to be used by belligerents in a war which was why no US planes were landing in Zurich Airport. By allowing Shannon Airport to be used the Irish Government and any other Irish political party that does so, is declaring that Ireland is not neutral, but is in legal terms part of a military alliance fighting a war to gain control of the oil in Iraq and to consolidate US/Israeli military domination of the Middle East.

Anything for a seat round the cabinet table?
The Greens could bring integrity and principle to the process of participation in government by insisting that the issue of Shannon is addressed. Too often, the left and independents have been too quick to trade in their principles for a seat in government.

Those that voted for the Greens deserve better. The Green Party needs to send out a message that Shannon will not be bargained away. The lives of Iraqis and the sort of world we want to see depend on it.

John Gormley, Green Party Chairman, statement to the Irish Anti War Movement Press conference (Tuesday May 22nd 2007)
"The Green Party is totally committed to ending the use of Shannon For the illegal war in Iraq and to opposing the abuse of human rights through rendition flights. Our election manifesto states unequivocally:
*End the use of Shannon Airport by US military forces involved in the war in Iraq
*Insist that any aircraft suspected of involvement in illegal movements of prisoners must be searched
"Our Party Convention and our party council took a decision that the Party and its spokepersons cannot lay pre-conditions on any issue.[and] this has prevented our key party spokespersons from directly signing the pledge. But people can be assured that in any negotiation with other parties the issue of Shannon will be an absolute priority".

Ciaran Cuffe, TD letter to Irish Anti war Movement (8th May 2007)
"The Green Party are committed to ending the use of Shannon airport by US Military forces. Section 13 of our recently published 2007 manifesto reads ... End the use of Shannon Airport by US military forces involved in the war in Iraq Insist that any aircraft suspected of involvement in illegal movements of prisoners must be searched"

Issued jointly by
Irish Anti War Movement, Peace and Neutrality Alliance and NGO Peace Alliance
www.irishantiwar.org
www.pana.ie
www.ngopeacealliance.com

i'm not at all optimistic about this one

i walked past the green party offices today, and was tempted to point back up towards merrion square, and shout "there's micheal mcdowell", and nab one of their TV cameras while they were all distracted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0612/election.html

and so

Vigil at Green Party Conference 13:00 21:00
We appeal to all Green Party members to remember the 650,000 dead in Iraq and stand in solidarity with them against the use of Shannon by the US Military.

Wednesday 13th June 2007
PANA/IAWM/NGO Alliance are calling for a mass gathering outside the membership Conference organised by the Green Party in the Mansion House for tomorrow Wednesday 13th June between the hours of 13.00 – 21.00 For further information contact Michael Youlton 086 8159487 or Roger Cole 087 2611597

Thursday 14th June 2007
An anti-war protest will take place to highlight the use of Shannon. The protest will take place at the 2 PM outside the Dail. For more info contact Kieran O'Sullivan [email protected] or after 5pm 087 61 87 680.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back