General Election 24th May (3 Viewers)

according to the times, this is the deal:

Iraq-bound United States military flights will continue to use Shannon airport and that all new roads planned by the outgoing Government will go ahead.

Dáil approval will be required before any non-United Nations mandated military flight will be allowed to land, but this will not interfere with the Americans' current use of the airport, since they now operate on a UN mandate.

Harney offered Foreign Affairs, but refused, and will continue as Health Minster

M3 to go ahead

No concessions on corporate donations

Carbon tax to be introduced over the next five years

Proposed FF tax cuts to go ahead

Extra €50 million to be spent on education

Greens have demanded two senior cabinet posts, but have been offered one cabinet ministry, one minister of state and one 'super junior'

Greens have asked for Transport and Environment, but these portfolios have yet to be assigned
the spineless pricks.
they'll be crucified at the next election.

I'd say they will ratify it but it might be a close run thing.

I hope they don't. The Sinners are saying they won't support any govt. with Harney as Health Minister, but they will. I assume that's why they offered her Foreign Affairs. She's a fool for not taking that one.

talking about it in here, one colleague reckons that the party hierarchy only went along with this to oust sargent, given his pre-election claims. and that the party hierarchy never expected it to be passed by the party.

This news doesn't make me feel as hopeful as I thought it would.

Btw, my predictions for the next government were right. Oh yeah.

If this goes ahead it means they've sold out every position that people actually voted for.

Interesting comments from Roger Garland:
The founder of the Green Party and its first TD, Roger Garland, has said he feels betrayed by the decision of the party to agree a programme for Government with Fianna Fáil. He said if reports of what the deal contains are true, it was 'unbelievably bad'.

He added that he believes the last thing voters had in mind when they voted Green was returning Fianna Fáil to power.
Mr Garland said he feared for the future of the party if delegates at this afternoon's special conference approved the deal.

from the indo -

"Sources within the Green Party have revealed the first details of the programme for government agreed with Fianna Fail.
The party's membership is meeting in Dublin today to decide whether to ratify the agreement.
The deal includes a commitment to form a climate change commission, reform of environmental legislation, a Dublin Bay task force and a new residential noise bill.
The Greens also say they have secured €100m in grants for attic and wall insulation for private houses and commitments on support for offshore wind farms.
The party has admitted that it has been disappointed on some issues, including the controversial plan to allow private health facilities on the grounds of public hospitals.
That project will go ahead under the FF-Green deal, but will be restricted to the six projects already being planned pending a review of the scheme in five years' time."

Looks like Finian McGrath has sold out too.

RTE News said:
Meanwhile, Independent TDs, Finian McGrath and Michael Lowry have both confirmed they will vote for Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach when the Dáil meets tomorrow. Independent TD Jackie Healy-Rea has also concluded a deal with Mr Ahern.

So much for

“We the undersigned give a firm commitment that if elected, we will not participate in any government that allows Shannon airport or other Irish facilities to be used by the United States to conduct war in Iraq or in any other Imperialist war.”

Mary Harney's constituents voted for Mary Harney. She's meant to be a very good local representative.

I’m amazed she kept on Health. Some balls on her. Wouldn’t like to see her doing Foreign Affairs though. Or maybe she just didn’t want to spend time away from home, that’s why she gave up leadership of the PD’s isn’t it?

thats a different thing than getting back as minister for health. if she does then its pretty clear that ff want a scapegoat for 'angola'

you might have a point there

just in, the meeting between trevor sargent and bertie ahern:

BA: right, you can have health if you want
TS: i thinbk we'll pass
BA: you sure?
TS: pretty much.
BA: now, don't feel as if you can't take it. come on now, Trev, my friend, we really want your party to have health
TS: nah, give it to cowen or dermot ahern
BA: nah, come on Gormy or yourself would make a great minsiter for health. truly first clas
TS: i've got to say no
BA: you sure?
TS: yes, very much so
BA: ok i'll see if mary want's it
TS: why not give it to a Fianna Fail
BA: *looks suspicous* no reason

Has trev resigned yet? Like he said he'd do? rather than go into government with fianna fail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back