General Election 24th May (1 Viewer)

The discussion has taken a very different turn in the past half and hour. Looks like the FF enthusiasm subsiding a little and Pat rabbitte looking depressed at the prospect of govt with FF. He can't say anything yet without disadvantaging Labour in the negotiations, but it looks increasingly likely.

FF/Green comments are just Dermot Ahern, wily fox that he is, playing hard to get with Labour.

I'm slightly relieved that some change will happen in Govt.

Ok - let's start predictions.

I say that neither FF/PD nor FG/Lab/green gets a majority; a handful of independents will back up one or either side to elect a taoiseach. PDs and FF to lose about 8 seats between them; FG and Labour to stay static; gains for SF and Greens.

My predictions weren't too bad.

The irish Times predicts as follows (I think it's overly optimistic about the swing from FF/PD to the opposition):

The estimates, made at various stages in a roller-coaster campaign, would put Fianna Fáil at 67 seats, down from 79 in the current Dáil, with the PDs and Independents also having dramatic falls in support - the PDs at three (from eight) and the Independents at eight (from 14).
Fine Gael is predicted to do well, boosting its number of seats to 47 from 32, while Labour just about holds its own on 22 (up one). The Greens and Sinn Féin each gain four, to 10 and nine, respectively.

Irish Times wasn't bad either.

Don't think anyone guessed that FF would hold support and that SF and Greens would stay static.

My predictions weren't too bad.
congratulations Ronan.
here,
have a piece of my cake
shit_cake.jpg

McD lost by 390 votes. Spoiled votes 510. Just goes to show that voting, but spoiling your vote, can actually affect the result.

???

How does that work exactly? A spoilt vote wouldn't have acted as a vote for anyone else, and would only have had an effect if the person was trying to vote for him and not understanding how to work the pen.

???

How does that work exactly? A spoilt vote wouldn't have acted as a vote for anyone else, and would only have had an effect if the person was trying to vote for him and not understanding how to work the pen.

Yeah, it probably wasn't a very strong point. I forget what i was trying to say. Am posting too much on this thread.

i've sent an e-mail asking whether they can or not
re using oireachtas envelopes; i think the situation is that they can, but they must count them at the same price as normal envelopes when declaring expenses, and possibly reimburse the cost.

From RTE:

Election 2007: First wheelchair user TD
Friday, 25 May 2007 22:53
Sean Connick of Fianna Fail has become Ireland's first TD who is a wheelchair user.

OMFG! For Real? A TD in a wheelchair? Ah bless.

what fucking year are RTE living in?

pat rabbitte looks like all his worst fears are coming through..it'll be so interesting to see where he goes with it..his suggestion of the rainbow-est of coalitions seems more than slightly insane..at least tony gregory admits he has a price:)

pat rabbitte looks like all his worst fears are coming through..it'll be so interesting to see where he goes with it..his suggestion of the rainbow-est of coalitions seems more than slightly insane..at least tony gregory admits he has a price:)
Enda Kenny hasn't capitulated yet, and the FG strategist on the show there has outlined a way FG / Lab could form a government.... It's unlikely, but as yet not entirely out of the question.

I suspect he'll step down and Howlin will take over as party leader.

it'll be interesting to see if it could go as far as either sides being able to take it depending on how they get onside..

the american guy is annoying..

Rabbitte won't resign. He's sell his mother to get into power and his arse in a merc, never mind the helicopter. He's already said he's going to be party leader. It would have been easier for him to say he's going into government to keep the shinners out, but I'm sure he'll come up with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back