General Election 2025 (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 230
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 2
I always liked him. Like he had good qualities as a person. Fully-fledged doctor, handled coming out and living as a gay political leader when that had never been done before.
Just wrong-headed on so much stuff.

A lot of hard charger A-types can't comprehend that not everyone is like them. All that people who get up early stuff, and the campaigns against dole scroungers etc. You have to be Taoiseach for everyone, not just the people you identify with.

It’s not that I dislike him because he’s not like me,
It’s because he comes across as a smug privileged/ classist, narcissistic neoliberalist cunt that I’ll be glad to see the back of.

Sincerely fuck that guy

I always liked him. Like he had good qualities as a person. Fully-fledged doctor, handled coming out and living as a gay political leader when that had never been done before.

A lot of hard charger A-types can't comprehend that not everyone is like them. All that people who get up early stuff, and the campaigns against dole scroungers etc. You have to be Taoiseach for everyone, not just the people you identify with.
I liked him too - none of your political posturing like Micheál, just spoke his mind as far as I could see. I heard he used to drive his PR people mad. Didn't agree with him politically a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean he's a bad person 🤷‍♂️

(I should add that I've never voted Fine Gael)

The "people who get up early" thing irritated me, until John-out-of-Stoat says "I get up early! You get up early! Do you actually know any grown-up who doesn't get up early? What's the problem?". The only person I know who gets up late is my retired Da, and he hates Leo, so I guess it all makes sense

The "people who get up early" thing irritated me, until John-out-of-Stoat says "I get up early! You get up early! Do you actually know any grown-up who doesn't get up early? What's the problem?". The only person I know who gets up late is my retired Da, and he hates Leo, so I guess it all makes sense
Yeah, I think he sold that wrong.
He could easily have made it more inclusive, like said he meant nurses and plumbers and delivery guys and the people that open up the Centras.
In my mind, I think he meant, the type of office professional who is up at 5am to get a workout in and 'own the day'. I think that's where his head is at. But that's all projection on my part.

You mean people like you? I think you're the only Irish person I know who does this kind of shit
I meant more like Patrick Bateman types. And finance bros and the people who have boxes at the Aviva. Career overachievers in general.

I do this stuff too, but like in a good way.

That whole dole scroungers thing was purely for the FG party at the time of a leadership contest. Sort of "look how much of a prick I am, I'd be a great leader, ignore the gay stuff".
In a way it worked. In a way it backfired.

my wife actually met paschal yesterday.
cut from the same cloth as varadkar but with the sense to not actually act like he's just pretending to be a human.
the sort of lad who'll run the country along the lines of what the lads with the MBAs and the nice ties say we should do; the more you pay someone for an opinion, the more trustworthy that opinion is.

I guess my idea of what a political earthquake would be and what this turned out to be are fairly different. I thought it was going to be news that the country was completely broke again or we were joining the UK or something.

Varadkar is some fuckin cunt, and always has been.

Also, seems pretty clear to me that the reason he's stepping down now is that he's just got over the threshold for the full Taoiseach's pension and doesn't give a shit apart from that. That's the only reason FG did the rotating Taoiseach deal with FF in the first place.

I'm really surprised people don't know what the "People who get up early" thing was aimed at – it was really obviously clearly Varadkar saying "Anyone not getting social welfare; anyone getting social welfare can go and fuck themselves"
There was nothing about it trying to appeal to certain kinds of people who work – it was 100% just saying "I hate the lazy dole scabbers just like you"

I'm really surprised people don't know what the "People who get up early" thing was aimed at – it was really obviously clearly Varadkar saying "Anyone not getting social welfare; anyone getting social welfare can go and fuck themselves"
There was nothing about it trying to appeal to certain kinds of people who work – it was 100% just saying "I hate the lazy dole scabbers just like you"
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I really thought it was directed at the strivers
His own lot
Like even in our office there's the people who get up early and are here hard-charging early doors
And also the people who stroll in at 9am

Not saying he doesn't have great antipathy to doleys also

I think it might be an eye of the beholder thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back