General election 2020 (9 Viewers)

Because that's what they are, for the government? It's almost as if they're going to have Leo on the late late show tonight.
To be fair, Mary Lou MacDonald was on last week wasn't it?

RTE news just referred to Catherine Murphy as the deputy leader of the Green Party

Nuclear is unlikely to be a solution for us. Because we are starting from scratch. To build the plants, get them approved and then fully operational would take too long. But we could import more. Especially from France.

Nuclear is unlikely to be a solution for us. Because we are starting from scratch. To build the plants, get them approved and then fully operational would take too long. But we could import more. Especially from France.

Actually a plant could be built and running in 3 or 4 years probably, like you say using imported materials etc. It would cost a load of money though, and imported skills too. Could save a load more money in the long run, but in the long run you'd want to be running off stuff like wind and solar instead anyway.
My only real point about nuclear is that there's fuck all wrong with it, it's safe as fuck nowadays, long-term cheap, much cleaner than fossil fuels, etc.

i think what i'm talking about might be a molten salt reactor, of which there seems only to have been one (and did generate some issues many years after shutdown):

but there seem to be many reasons to think it's worth a try again:

• LFTRs are cleaner: as a fully recycling system, the discharge wastes from a LFTR are predominantly fission products, most of which (83%) have relatively short half lives in hours or days[63] compared to longer-lived actinide wastes of conventional nuclear power plants.[57] This results in a significant reduction in the needed waste containment period in a geologic repository. The remaining 17% of waste products require only 300 years until reaching background levels.[63] The radiotoxicity of the thorium fuel cycle waste is about 10,000 times less than that of one through uranium fuel.[8]

LFTR is just another kind of nuclear though, with the big drawback of safety. The reason modern nuclear plants are so safe is because of the ones that have gone wrong in the past; modern plants are built to make sure that for instance another Chernobyl can't happen.
LFTR is a totally different kind of reactor, so if they do build it and get it running, potentially there could be some safety system that's been overlooked, or some unlikely series of events coming together at once that could cause a disaster, which is what happened at Chernobyl.

The downside to nuclear is becoming a source of uranium and opening up a shannonesque relationship with nuclear superpowers and black market relationships with less than superpowers and the likes of micheal martin being in charge of that.

If we started using nuclear energy and Sinn Fein were in power I guarantee the USA would Iraq-war us.

The mantra I've always heard, probably from people on this site, is "No nuclear power plant has ever been delivered on time or on budget". I don't know if that's still true. But seems to me that Ireland would only need one or two plants, and they'd be a massive gamble. That seems a reasonable enough reason to not try it. But I don't know.

Its not fun or popular but the actual solution is not permabinging on on energy. This is a lot more aimed at stuff like the aluminum plant in limerick which essentially has its own private power station, but people too, they need to cop on. all energy turns into heat at some point, and I'm pretty sure heat is kinda the exact problem.

LFTR is a totally different kind of reactor, so if they do build it and get it running, potentially there could be some safety system that's been overlooked, or some unlikely series of events coming together at once that could cause a disaster, which is what happened at Chernobyl.
so i guess what you're saying is that... we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good enough?

so i guess what you're saying is that... we shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good enough?

Haha no what I'm saying is that the safety argument that some people regularly bring up with regard to nuclear actually could apply to a totally new kind of reactor, whereas it's not an argument that applies to reactors that have already been improved upon for 70 years.

What does 'keen' mean? I am keen on the idea of running a marathon in 32 counties in 32 days, but I need to learn how to run first.

What does 'keen' mean? I am keen on the idea of running a marathon in 32 counties in 32 days, but I need to learn how to run first.

You can have 6 days off if you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back