General election 2020 (2 Viewers)

FWIW "perfect is the enemy of good" is a truism in the software world, and has saved many's the project I've worked on
Good grief man I wasn't talking about programming.

Perfect is the enemy of the good is a banal truism that can be applied to each and every situation to shut down the argument, which is what it is always used to do. From here on in I vow to use it every day to win every argument on thumped.

applied to each and every situation to shut down the argument
um, if you say so.
just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they're being underhanded. people don't reach opposing viewpoints to you simply because they're somehow deficient.
in fact, if anyone is trying to shut down debate with overblown accusations or language, it's you.

a banal truism that can be applied to each and every situation to shut down the argument
Shutting down the argument, wha? Here's another banal truism for you

God said:
first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye

um, if you say so.
just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they're being underhanded. people don't reach opposing viewpoints to you simply because they're somehow deficient.
in fact, if anyone is trying to shut down debate with overblown accusations or language, it's you.
Shutting down the argument, wha? Here's another banal truism for you
What's the debate again? As far as I can tell we largely agree. And if we disagree on minor points that's ok because the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Ah yeah, we're just being triggered by one anothers choice of words. That's what debate is nowadays, right?
That's true, I admit that phrase, along with "now is not the time", "purity tests" etc. are totally triggers for me at this point.

Must be on ignore. Cool.

giphy.gif

I think there is a valid point to the ‘perfection is the enemy of the good’.

You’re never going to agree on someone 100% with very like-minded people

And waiting for that / forcing too many lefty alternatives in the interim is the very reason regressive backwards toe-headed absolute fuckwits like Ronan Mullens get elected as a senator
Hi ernesto, I see it mainly as a truism to the point of meaninglessness, it's on the same level as the successwin hope memes people share on facebook and linkedin. It may as well come with an image of Elon Musk attached.

Of course no one will ever agree about everything, and compromises have to be made, but who are you making compromises with? In what way? "The perfect is the enemy of the good" can be used to do a lot of lifting in these situations. I lose the rag like an eejit when someone says it, such is life.

Would never put you on ignore, I think Black Grape might be the only person i've ever put on ignore here.

Hi ernesto, I see it mainly as a truism to the point of meaninglessness, it's on the same level as the successwin hope memes people share on facebook and linkedin. It may as well come with an image of Elon Musk attached.

Of course no one will ever agree about everything, and compromises have to be made, but who are you making compromises with? In what way? "The perfect is the enemy of the good" can be used to do a lot of lifting in these situations. I lose the rag like an eejit when someone says it, such is life

Would never put you on ignore, I think Black Grape might be the only person i've ever put on ignore here.

Firstly,
I do not understand your first paragraph. I do not know what those things mean, only the name Elon Musk.

Secondly, I think it must be a phrase that is very relevant to particular thing or works one way BUT its used all Over the shop misappropriatley and perhaps that is what grinds your gears?

Thirdly. Thanks. Same goes

Firstly,
I do not understand your first paragraph. I do not know what those things mean, only the name Elon Musk.

Secondly, I think it must be a phrase that is very relevant to particular thing or works one way BUT its used all Over the shop misappropriatley and perhaps that is what grinds your gears?

Thirdly. Thanks. Same goes
I knew there was episode of Citations Needed about this, linked to the wrong one earlier. Podcast is US-based and things aren't nearly as bad here as over there but worth a listen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

worth noting that many of the economists on the list also have qualifications outside economics, in environmental areas in many cases. not many in a sense that would make me think they'd be a 'fuck the size of the national herd' economists though.

oh, of course. a quick scan shows (at least) two of the economists do have what i'd consider decent credentials, but it does come across as a talking shop for like minded people to a large extent.
but i suspect it's the sort of committee that would be hamstrung by whatever scope its given. they're there to engineer the existing situation, not to try to dream up a new one - cf. the councillor's comments on EVs. we should be looking at reducing the cars on the road, not a like for like replacement with battery powered ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back