General Election 2011 (1 Viewer)

Adams' election was to be expected surely?
Almost as annoying as gerry was the herald's daily mail-esque campaign against him/sinn fein generally.i'm no fan of the man/party but the absolute hysterical nonsense the herald was coming out with was astounding.
more fool me for buying the it i suppose,bring back the evening press for a bit of competition in the evening news market.

I find it confusing. I'm a lefty 32 country Republican*, most of my family are from the north, but I dislike Sinn Féin. I think a couple of 'em like your man Pearse Doherty are a decent, intelligent sort but I think we're not far enough past blood for me to feel comfortable voting for them. Maybe when I'm 50 I'll be ok with it. Having said that I detest Sindo/Daily Mail/Herald hysteria bullshit about them even more. I think papers should declare for a party grand but not be muckraking, shitstirring about other parties.

*maybe nationalist would fit the bill better.

Gerry Adams got in on a landslide. :(

He may not be the worst candidate elected in Louth.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Though if elected Fitzpatrick would fill the void created by Staunton's departure from the public eye.

"Tonight Luke 'Ming' Flanagan was elected as a TD in the 31st Dáil, taking the first seat in Roscommon South Leitrim with 12,149 votes on the fourth count."

A complete lack of mercy won it for him the end

I gotta say regardless of people views on Adams he really was the only one that came round every house in drogheda/Louth and listened to our grievances etc. Where as any other candidate didn't bother their arses coming to the door, most party manifestos were delivered with the post or by the lads delivering the drogheda leader, that's the main reason adams got in, that and he promised what the people wanted to hear knowing he wouldn't have to deliver it cause sinn fein would never have got majority of overall votes.

pissed off with myself,got up early to go and get QOTSA tickets (and failed miserably)
planned to vote after work,went for one and then ended up on the lash for the night
pissed off with myself :(

I gotta say regardless of people views on Adams he really was the only one that came round every house in drogheda/Louth and listened to our grievances etc. Where as any other candidate didn't bother their arses coming to the door, most party manifestos were delivered with the post or by the lads delivering the drogheda leader, that's the main reason adams got in, that and he promised what the people wanted to hear knowing he wouldn't have to deliver it cause sinn fein would never have got majority of overall votes.

It's just such proactivity that allowed him and his pals to commit indiscriminate murder, theft, and assault etc. You're right though, SF engage at the grassroots level far more than pretty much any other party. It's the same in the areas of Dublin that they have TDs in.

gerry adams through the years:

gerry-adams-uk_374.jpg

3445285422_964c840abd.jpg

Gerry-Adams.jpg

3445282742_7ec8e7fa80.jpg

Worked didnt it,
There was already a safe Sinn Fein seat vacated by Arthur Morgan. So they really could have put anyone up and retained the seat. Gerry's celebrity just made it a sure thing. I heard rumours that people were unhappy with him being parachuted in, but this was just wishful thinking.

In fairness to Sinn Fein they do ground work in areas of Louth other politicians have neglected. But then they can afford to do it and staff offices where other parties can't. Still, he's not the most depressing TD in Louth, that goes to the Cabbage linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back