Foggy Notions Presents...Atlas Sound, Whelan's, Nov 21 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions Presents…

Atlas Sound

+ Hulk

Whelan’s, Saturday Nov 21, Doors 8pm

Tickets €13.50 plus booking fee from WAV Box-Office (Lo-Call 1890 200 078), Tickets.ie, City Discs, Road records, Sound Cellar, and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“…another affecting dispatch from a corner of indie music that is increasingly starting to seem like one Cox pretty much owns.” – Pitchfork 8.2

“What makes Bradford's projects successful, no matter how much hype he receives or how much he opens up about what he's doing, is that his songs contain a certain listen-to-me-again mystery.” – Stereogum

Getting rave reviews all over, Atlas Sound brings his new album Logos to Whelan’s on Nov 21.

Atlas Sound is the solo project of Bradford Cox , the striking and eccentric vocalist for Athens, G.A experimental indie rock act Deerhunter. Cox was born in 1982 in Athens, a town whose burgeoning music scene greatly influenced the singer. He identified with the B-52's while growing up, particularly the late Ricky Wilson, and co-founded Deerhunter with drummer/keyboardist Moses Archuleta in 2001.

When Deerhunter took a break in 2007, Cox then shifted his focus to Atlas Sound, having already issued a split 12" vinyl and a pair of EPs under the same name. Molding his sound from a wide range of influences - including doo wop, electronica, and Elvis Presley, Cox set to work on Atlas Sound's full-length debut, Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel. (Kranky)

The album appeared in early 2008 and received strong reviews, fueling Cox’s decision to quickly begin work on a second album. Later that year, however, an unfinished copy of the intended second album was leaked from Cox's MediaFire account, causing the exasperated singer to consider abandoning the project altogether. He eventually returned to the material, polished its rough edges, and has just released the finished product, now titled Logos (Kranky). Animal Collective's Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) and Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier are featured guests on the album.

www.myspace.com/bradfordcox
deerhuntertheband.blogspot.com

Hulk

"Gorgeous atmospherics and melodic sounds" - Smallfish

"Silver Thread Of Ghosts is a remarkable piece of work" - Angry Ape

"...gently contemplative and quietly moving music-making" - The WIRE

"An elegant, delicate walk through a deserted citadel" - PLAN B Magazine

Hulk is Thomas Haugh. He has produced two albums for OSAKA records (Silver thread of ghosts – 2005 and Rise of a Mystery Tide – 2008) as well as producing materials for labels such as Melodic, Static Caravan and Expanding Records. He has also remixed works by other artists, most notable Efterklang from their most recent album. He will be performing with a live band for this show.

www.myspace.com/hulkmusic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

About the only upside to my past disastrous week of travel and scuppered plans is that I'll be able to go to this.

Anyone know if Atlas Sound at the moment is just Bradford or does he have a band like when he was here with Animal Collective (or was it Low)?

About the only upside to my past disastrous week of travel and scuppered plans is that I'll be able to go to this.

Anyone know if Atlas Sound at the moment is just Bradford or does he have a band like when he was here with Animal Collective (or was it Low)?

I obviously have that backwards, he was solo when Atlas Sound was here before.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting in terms of arrangements, never would have thought that he'd come out with an acoustic guitar and harmonica but I think that it's kind of cool that Atlas Sound can be whatever Cox wants it to be on any particular night, be it how it was last night or as a full band or doing the laptop/sampler thing. I thought that it was excellent at times but a little meandering (taking 30 minutes to get through a 2 song encore is a bit much), the version of the song with Noah Lennox from the album was super.

As ever, hearing Bradford talk to the crowd is like watching someone walk a VERY high tightrope with no net.

i arrived about 20 mins into Atlas Sound and as i walked in, a guy came up to me and just said "Complete Wank"

i thought it was decent, may have meandered here and there at times though

Was pretty surprised by this gig. Wasn't expecting the "no samplers" buzz. Some nice re-arranging of the songs though. Yeah, he was off his tits, and it was a bit sloppy at the start, but I thought it got way better as it progressed. I'd rather see him play a sloppy but fun set than play a set like he played with Deerhunter last time in Whelans i.e Bad mood, auto-pilot playing, no buzz. Some great use of guitar pedals last night too!

he wasn't off his tits. doesn't even drink. it's kind of the way he is

Was pretty surprised by this gig. Wasn't expecting the "no samplers" buzz. Some nice re-arranging of the songs though. Yeah, he was off his tits, and it was a bit sloppy at the start, but I thought it got way better as it progressed. I'd rather see him play a sloppy but fun set than play a set like he played with Deerhunter last time in Whelans i.e Bad mood, auto-pilot playing, no buzz. Some great use of guitar pedals last night too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back