Films of the year (2 Viewers)

Two Days, One Night would be my movie of the year. The best I've seen from the Dardennes brothers which is really saying something and Marion Cotillard is just superb in the lead role. Disappointed not to see it on any of the lists that are starting to float around. Aside from that We Are the Best, Frank, Blue Ruin, Boyhood, Under the Skin, The Past, Nightcrawler, Inside Llewyn Davies and Interstellar (just for the visual feast of it) would complete a top 10. Still haven't gotten around to 12 Years a Slave.

Yeah 2 Days 1 Night was proper class.
Grand Central was dead fucking good too, real tense film.

VIVE LA FRANCE!

Alright, starting to get my list together.

So far I've got:

Interstellar
Cold In July
Blue Ruin
The Guest
The Babadook
Coherence

(Strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen this last one and loves weird sci-fi to check it out. Don't read anything about it first though)

Alright, starting to get my list together.

So far I've got:

Interstellar
Cold In July
Blue Ruin
The Guest
The Babadook
Coherence

(Strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen this last one and loves weird sci-fi to check it out. Don't read anything about it first though)
wanna check out Coherence.

didn't think The Guest quite lived up to expectations. it was fun but fairly throwaway

wanna check out Coherence.

didn't think The Guest quite lived up to expectations. it was fun but fairly throwaway

Really loved it. Great soundtrack, score by Steve Moore and influenced stylistically and in tone by 90s dark thrillers. Also, influenced in a really interesting way by Carpenter's 90's output.

Really odd tone to the humour too, which is right up my street.

Is it this lad?

9211398188_83a5e4566e_z.jpg
Looks more like Karen Carpenter than Jonah to me but there are certainly worse things than being the spit of Karen

I think I need to revisit Blue Ruin having seen it feature in so many people's Best Of lists. Thought it was ok, but nothing particularly great, I felt. Maybe a second viewing will help.

Also want to give The Babadook a second viewing, but that's purely because I enjoyed it so much first time round!

Exactly,
its a really sad kid thats acting out because he's living with mental illness in his house... it handles it so well. And I love the idea of the monster in the basement thats always going to be in their lives. It was like... unnerving when the boy asked his mom if he'd ever meet the monster, and she was like "you will when you grow up" or whatever. Really eerie. One of the best portrayals of mental illness, depression etc. I've seen in ages.
Not sure if this needs a spoiler but found it quite like The Turn of the Screw/The Innocents in that regard.

So far I've got:

Interstellar
Cold In July
Blue Ruin
The Guest
The Babadook
Coherence

So, adding to my list of best films of the year:

Locke
'71
Frank

Frank has the best depiction of pre show nerves and perfectly captures the horror of being on stage knowing a show is going down like a ton of bricks. When Frank lies down on the stage and the guy asks "What's wrong?" and he answers "Ugh, The music's shit" it made me laugh out loud and gave me chills at the same time.

I've just started downloading coherence.

the torrent file says its from 2013.

wrong year infraction: USER MOST MAKE ALL POSTS AS NEW THREADS REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT

I've just started downloading coherence.

the torrent file says its from 2013.

wrong year infraction: USER MOST MAKE ALL POSTS AS NEW THREADS REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT

I think it's been doing the festival rounds but hasn't had a proper release yet.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it

I think it's been doing the festival rounds but hasn't had a proper release yet.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it

I enjoyed it.

shaky camera effects annoy me and i still like it. I like how it didn't resolve to a happy medium

the cast were a bit like a bunch of people who didn't make the auditions for friends or were body doubles.

Of all the films I have seen in the cinema this year I think I enjoyed 'What We Do in the Shadows' most. I thought 'Starred Up' was fantastic too.

Saw nothing all year and have spent the last two weeks catching up.

the grand budapest hotel. I've watched it three times in a fortnight. I love it.

"you must be the the new death squads.. ..how do you do"

also agatha's unplacable accent

and at the start, where the girl walks into the graveyard, are those the 3 prison breakers sitting on the bench??

blue ruin
tim's vermeer - teller, who'd have thunk it.
i watched all the marvel universe things. i enjoy them but also think they are formulaic chewing gum for the eyes. the rodent in GOTG was just annoying.

still a fair few to watch.

I think Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the best blockbuster ive seen at the cinema since Jurassic Park. It was pure class.

The 3 other new films i saw this year were:

the two faces of january - good saturday afternoon fare. story knocked along, great locations, ive always fancied kirsten dunst and great drunk acting from viggo. solid film.

the grand budapest hotel - i'd say everyone here has seen it. jeff goldblum.

pulp documentary - drivel.

I think Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the best blockbuster ive seen at the cinema since Jurassic Park. It was pure class.

the two faces of january - good saturday afternoon fare. story knocked along, great locations, ive always fancied kirsten dunst and great drunk acting from viggo. solid film.
agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back