Films of the year (1 Viewer)

The bit where

the little boy was like "I love you mom, I know you don't love me" (paraphrased from bad memory) actually broke my heart.

The bit where
the little boy was like "I love you mom, I know you don't love me" (paraphrased from bad memory) actually broke my heart.

Also
I found the part where he was playing with all his dad's stuff in the cellar really sad. I love how they create this picture of a really difficult child and then the perspective completely switches half way through. It's one of the best 180 turns I've seen in a film.

Also
I found the part where he was playing with all his dad's stuff in the cellar really sad. I love how they create this picture of a really difficult child and then the perspective completely switches half way through. It's one of the best 180 turns I've seen in a film.

Exactly,
its a really sad kid thats acting out because he's living with mental illness in his house... it handles it so well. And I love the idea of the monster in the basement thats always going to be in their lives. It was like... unnerving when the boy asked his mom if he'd ever meet the monster, and she was like "you will when you grow up" or whatever. Really eerie. One of the best portrayals of mental illness, depression etc. I've seen in ages.

I liked it so much, partly because the story hit close to home for me and stopped being a horror film and instead was this nuanced, complex, and really... sensitive for want of a better, word, story. I loved the kid, despite everyone else being annoyed by him, I thought he was such a great depiction of that kid with that mom. Actually made me cry.

At almost the very end of the Hobbit last night, Martin Freeman hangs a portrait on the wall. It totally looked like you.
But now I'm thinking it might be more your avatar.

At almost the very end of the Hobbit last night, Martin Freeman hangs a portrait on the wall. It totally looked like you.
But now I'm thinking it might be more your avatar.

really? i want to see this now! i haven't seen it and i dont know what to google to find it. the first hobit movie?

I liked it so much, partly because the story hit close to home for me and stopped being a horror film and instead was this nuanced, complex, and really... sensitive for want of a better, word, story. I loved the kid, despite everyone else being annoyed by him, I thought he was such a great depiction of that kid with that mom. Actually made me cry.

The kid was perfect. So was the mother.

Yes he was annoying, but people, especially kids, with learning difficulties tend to be 'challenging'. I thought the film dealt with the love/frustration balance very well.

The film wasn't perfect but the relationship between the mother and son was amazing and very well done.

the 'mental illness as externalised horror' was a nice idea reminiscent of The Shining

And I want this

Exactly,
its a really sad kid thats acting out because he's living with mental illness in his house... it handles it so well. And I love the idea of the monster in the basement thats always going to be in their lives. It was like... unnerving when the boy asked his mom if he'd ever meet the monster, and she was like "you will when you grow up" or whatever. Really eerie. One of the best portrayals of mental illness, depression etc. I've seen in ages.

Agree with that 100%

or like when the kid tells his mother "you can't get rid of the babadook" and she faces up to it to save both of them. at the same time realising that it will never go away, but it's not as bad when you learn to deal with it. just brilliant [/spolier]

really? i want to see this now! i haven't seen it and i dont know what to google to find it. the first hobit movie?

The new one. It opens next week. I was at an early screening yoke.

There's two portraits of ladies over the fireplace and one has been knocked down. Then he puts it back up, and I'm thinking "Jonah!"

The new one. It opens next week. I was at an early screening yoke.

There's two portraits of ladies over the fireplace and one has been knocked down. Then he puts it back up, and I'm thinking "Jonah!"

I will look out for my possible doppleganger! Who is the portrait of anywho, or waits the significance?

I will look out for my possible doppleganger! Who is the portrait of anywho, or waits the significance?

You know what, I have no idea. But the fact that they did it, probably means that it's super significant. A nod to something or other.
They are all like one movie to me. All six of them. So I can't really remember individual little things.
I imagine there were probably a few people in the audience stroking their chins though.

Is it this lad?

9211398188_83a5e4566e_z.jpg

What's the verdict?

Barnbusting opening, and a tight tense film. He hit all his marks. The massive canvas battle scenes are good, but maybe have lost a little freshness? Still state of the art though.
He doesn't put a foot wrong really. And thankfully didn't drag the end out.

In disclosure, I am not a huge fan. I liked the first trilogy, but was bemused by its rabid popularity.

Shit I liked!

Interstellar
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
Dawn Of The Apes
Blue Ruin

Stuff that I probably need to see again as it was OK
Under THe SKin
The Rover

Stinkers!
Godstinker (Zilla)

Probably saw many more new movies this year that I'm forgetting!

Are we counting Oscar movies that they hold off releasing here till January? What was in that list? 12 Years a Slave etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back