Films of the year (1 Viewer)

My big problem with Yawn of the Planet of the Apes was that there were no lads getting in the faces of people and whooping like apes when I went to see it

Remember this...

tumblr_n90101qCwZ1qdrqi5o1_400.gif

My main problem with the new apes films & most blockbusters in general....too much CGI.

Hopefully Afternoon of the planet of the apes won't have as much.

My main problem with the new apes films & most blockbusters in general....too much CGI.

Hopefully Afternoon of the planet of the apes won't have as much.
it's used pretty sparingly in DOTPOTA and mostly it's state of the art motion capture which looks terrific. it's hardly The Scorpion King.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do have a problem with CGI gunfire and blood splatter. That's just cheating.

Adding The Drop to my films of the year. Great, old fashioned crime thriller with a terrific cast.

Foxcatcher didn't do much for me. Good performances but I didn't really get what it was trying to say other than "look at this freak"

@7 - No tomorrow, what did you think of Foxcatcher. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw but I didn't enjoy watching it at the time. It felt creepily voyeuristic or something.

I loved it. Three very strong performances, Ruffalo's probably the most affecting.
Really liked the pace of it, slow and deliberate. And just all the interplay of jealousies, how they all want something from each other and the family interactions.
I thought it worked well how the murder was something they almost just used to tie up the third act. I want to say that another filmmaker would have shown you the murder and then cut to .... Three Years Earlier or something.
It was a murder story where the murder was almost the least important thing. If that makes sense.

In fairness, I had been interested in the story since it happened, so I was well-disposed to like this. Still, I think they did a bang-up job.

I rewatched True Detective over the weekend and I think it deserves recognition as one of the films of the year.

I'm a big fan of Ambrose Bierce, Arthur Machen and Robert Chambers and it was amazing to see a film with ideas from their weird fiction.

Also, in certain ways I'd consider it a modern companion piece to The Exorcist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back