Film chat (3 Viewers)

It’s great. Thoroughly researched. Biskind pulls no punches but I enjoy reading about young, talented assholes acting like complete reprobates.

I heard our collective friend Billy Friedkin doesn't come off too well. Although either does anyone supposedly.

I heard our collective friend Billy Friedkin doesn't come off too well. Although either does anyone supposedly.
Well, he comes across better than Dennis Hopper and the countless other wife beating drug addicts that populate the book! It’s been years since I read it but he’s portrayed as being a bit ruthless and a bastard to actors. Friedkin’s addresses this stuff in his autobiography and he’s really honest about the shitty decisions he made which almost ruined his career. He doesn’t really play the blame game.

Well, he comes across better than Dennis Hopper and the countless other wife beating drug addicts that populate the book! It’s been years since I read it but he’s portrayed as being a bit ruthless and a bastard to actors. Friedkin’s addresses this stuff in his autobiography and he’s really honest about the shitty decisions he made which almost ruined his career. He doesn’t really play the blame game.

His autobiography is in my Amazon basket. I'll pick it up at some point.

Another recommendation for the book, it's been about 8 years since I read it but I thought it was great

Cool well I just ordered it from Awesomebooks.
Of course that opened a window which lead to me ordering 5 other books as well. And the stack keeps growing......

Ok back to film chat topics:
Has anybody read Easy Riders Raging Bulls?

I'm considering it but not sure I want to read a book about how cunty all those 70's directors were. Or maybe I do. What are all your opinions on it?

Good book some real eye openers and characters in there. You get too see sides of directors like Speilberg, Coppolla and Altman that are less than flattering. He looks at movies like Jaws and Star Wars as the first blockbusters and their impact on cinema. Check out Bring on the Empty Horses by David Niven. David Niven was a magnificent raconteu and writer ,that book is choc full of splendid anecdotes from Hollywood's golden era of the 30's and 40's. Also try and get hold of Steven Bach's riveting, Final Cut: Art, Money and EGO in the Making of "Heaven's Gate", the Film That Sank United Artists. It is not nearly as daunting as the title might suggest. Bach was the head honcho at United Artists when Michael Cimino was given the green light for Heaven's Gate on the back of the runaway success of The Deerhunter. Cimino just went spend-crazy and no-one had the nerve to pull him up before it was too late and the studio that was started by Chaplin and Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks to give artistic freedom away from the stultifying power of the big studios went bust. I guarantee you will love it.

Last edited:
The French Connection, The Exorcist and Sorcerer are simply three of the best films of the 70s. His 80s work is underrated – Cruising and To Live and Die in LA are terrific, and Rampage is a good serial killer thriller in the vein of Manhunter. The less said about his 90s films the better but you could say that about a lot of the movie brats ( although, technically he wasn’t part of the “movie brats” movement because he cut his teeth in TV and didn’t go to film school). His last two films, Bug and Killer Joe, have been an amazing return to form and I’d consider them modern classics. I love his work. His autobiography is terrifically entertaining as well. I would love to meet him.

Oh please..relax will you. How long have you been watching movies ffs? I loved TFC, Exorcist and Sorcerer but that was his peak (and I can think of another dozen movies that were better from that decade) - most of his stuff after that was mediocre and you are having a laugh if you think Killer Joe is a modern classic.... unless of course giving chicken drumsticks blow jobs is your idea of cutting edge cinema. Have you seen the The Hunt, Cruising and The Guardian? Cruising almost managed to destroy Pacino's legacy and The Guardian was one of the worst turkeys ever committed to celluloid.

Oh please..relax will you. How long have you been watching movies ffs? I loved TFC, Exorcist and Sorcerer but that was his peak (and I can think of another dozen movies that were better from that decade) - most of his stuff after that was mediocre and you are having a laugh if you think Killer Joe is a modern classic.... unless of course giving chicken drumsticks blow jobs is your idea of cutting edge cinema. Have you seen the The Hunt, Cruising and The Guardian? Cruising almost managed to destroy Pacino's legacy and The Guardian was one of the worst turkeys ever committed to celluloid.

Cruising is a quality movie that people have changed their opinion of over time.

Cruising is a quality movie that people have changed their opinion of over time.

Pray, tell..who exactly?
I caught it again a couple of years ago and switched it off after half an hour. It is one big pile of gratuitous, nasty gick.

Ok back to film chat topics:
Has anybody read Easy Riders Raging Bulls?

I'm considering it but not sure I want to read a book about how cunty all those 70's directors were. Or maybe I do. What are all your opinions on it?

A most over rated book, Biskind promulgates the myth that the only decent movies ever made were in the 70's...well that's how it came across to me. The book bored me silly, way too political and up it's own ass for my liking. If you looking for gossip, its thin on the ground and not nearly as juicy as you want it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back