Film chat (2 Viewers)

I reckon Friedkin might be my favourite American film director. It was Lynch before but Lynch appears to have given up on film altogether whereas Friedkin is making great movies well into his 70s and is showing no sign of slowing down.
Might use a version of this at the after party

I reckon Friedkin might be my favourite American film director. It was Lynch before but Lynch appears to have given up on film altogether whereas Friedkin is making great movies well into his 70s and is showing no sign of slowing down.

Bug is one of my favourite movies

The French Connection, The Exorcist and Sorcerer are simply three of the best films of the 70s. His 80s work is underrated – Cruising and To Live and Die in LA are terrific, and Rampage is a good serial killer thriller in the vein of Manhunter. The less said about his 90s films the better but you could say that about a lot of the movie brats ( although, technically he wasn’t part of the “movie brats” movement because he cut his teeth in TV and didn’t go to film school). His last two films, Bug and Killer Joe, have been an amazing return to form and I’d consider them modern classics. I love his work. His autobiography is terrifically entertaining as well. I would love to meet him.

The French Connection, The Exorcist and Sorcerer are simply three of the best films of the 70s. His 80s work is underrated – Cruising and To Live and Die in LA are terrific, and Rampage is a good serial killer thriller in the vein of Manhunter. The less said about his 90s films the better but you could say that about a lot of the movie brats ( although, technically he wasn’t part of the “movie brats” movement because he cut his teeth in TV and didn’t go to film school). His last two films, Bug and Killer Joe, have been an amazing return to form and I’d consider them modern classics. I love his work. His autobiography is terrifically entertaining as well. I would love to meet him.

This was a great night.
He did a half hour introduction - the man is quite literally hilarious. Energetic, sharp as a goddamn tack and smart as all get out.
The movie was shown on DCP which he was very excited about, and it looked and sounded great.
A standing O for the man when he came in after.
He did over an hour of Q&A and again, he killed. He could get into the absolute minutiae of the film-making process and then jump back out to stories Billy Wilder had told him about hanging with Ernst Lubitsch that had people in stitches.
He went on about Proust, Buster Keaton, Welles, Fitzgerald, Rembrandt, Beethoven, MGM musicals, Costa-Gavras and more; always keeping his train of thought, and always engaging.
He loves the digital medium, has no real love for 35mm, but doesn't appreciate 'spandex movies'.
A few gay lads of a certain age that had their life changed by Boys In The Band and Cruising were nearly in tears asking him questions.
He also went off on a pure rant about Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst that near brought the house down.
I generally hate Q&As and usually bug out from them before the lights go up. This, I could have stayed all night for. It had it all.

And I'd never have gone, if you hadn't started this thread. So, thanks.

He's there again tonight for Killer Joe. I wasn't planning on going, but I just might.

He knew this lad's Ma from years back.

wf.jpg

This was a great night.
He did a half hour introduction - the man is quite literally hilarious. Energetic, sharp as a goddamn tack and smart as all get out.
The movie was shown on DCP which he was very excited about, and it looked and sounded great.
He did over an hour of Q&A and again, he killed. He could get into the absolute minutiae of the film-making process and then jump back out to stories Billy Wilder had told him about hanging with Ernst Lubitsch that had people in stitches.
He went on about Proust, Buster Keaton, Welles, Fitzgerald, Rembrandt, Beethoven, MGM musicals, Costa-Gavras and more; always keeping his train of thought, and always engaging.
He loves the digital medium, has no real love for 35mm, but doesn't appreciate 'spandex movies'.
A few gay lads of a certain age that had their life changed by Boys In The Band and Cruising were nearly in tears asking him questions.
He also went off on a pure rant about Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst that near brought the house down.
I generally hate Q&As and usually bug out from them before the lights go up. This, I could have stayed all night for. It had it all.

He's there again tonight for Killer Joe. I wasn't planning on going, but I just might.
This makes me happy : )

This was a great night.

View attachment 9250
What did you think of the movie?

I wrote to Jdiff to tell them how gangbusters he was.

She says they have already been in touch with him.

Maybe think of a trip home in March.

This was a great night.

View attachment 9250

Sounds amazing. His Q and A's and interviews on Youtube are amazing.

Ok back to film chat topics:
Has anybody read Easy Riders Raging Bulls?

I'm considering it but not sure I want to read a book about how cunty all those 70's directors were. Or maybe I do. What are all your opinions on it?

I'm considering it but not sure I want to read a book about how cunty all those 70's directors were. Or maybe I do. What are all your opinions on it?
Yes and It's a great read. You can dip in and out of it, which is what I did. But it's brilliant on all the behind the scenes and business end shit of that period.

It’s great. Thoroughly researched. Biskind pulls no punches but I enjoy reading about young, talented assholes acting like complete reprobates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back