Euro 2008 (1 Viewer)

Fair dues to Turkey. I thought with their depleted team situation they'd just put 11 guys behind the ball and make an ugly war of attrition out of it, instead it was a damn entertaining match and they played the better football. Pity they were leaving so many holes at the back (and had Rustu showing why he's their 2nd choice keeper now), you always got the feeling that Germany only needed one decent move to score in spite of their poor passing and general sluggishness. Altintop has to be one of the players of the tournament, ran the midfield very effectively again today.

Don't know if anyone else on Thumped experienced the TV blackout of the match or the weird timing of match/commentary/other people's viewings, but a guy from the Guardian website (in otherwise slightly annoying "Amn't-I-funny!" commentary) sums it up pretty good:

58 min: My TV freezes - as do all the TVs on the desk. Not great news for MBM purposes. The Beeb are pumping the Five Live commentary through. Apparently Hamit as lamped a free-kick miles over the bar. But I can't be sure. Cos I can't see anything.

63 min: TV pictures are down in Montreal and Rome too. And France. And Germany. It's a global meltdown, people!

64 min: Buenos Aires also lost their feed. Blimey! We're back on now, though. Nic Clifton is in Switzerland and he didn't lose his picture. So what happened, Nic? "Apparently the players know the TV is not working, they aren't doing a lot ..." :)rolleyes:)

76 min: Ah nuts. We've lost picture again. Apparently there's a thunder storm affecting the power supply. Ho hum.

GOAL! Germany 2-1 Turkey (Klose 78): Goal! And I didn't see it! Rustu comes for a cross, makes a right pig's ear of it, and Klose heads home. So I'm told.

79 min: Pictures are back here. Though I'm stuck with radio commentary.

80 min: The commentary is about half a second ahead of the action, which is really freaking me out. It's like Alan Green is a soothsayer.
:)))

What a night! Five goals, another late Turkey comeback, an even later German comeback, and a global TV meltdown.

The last word goes to Ravi Hiranand. "Here's how the game ended on TV in Hong Kong," writes Ravi. "Five guys in a studio listening in on a phone call between one of the presenters and someone sitting in the stands attempting to describe what's happened over the noise of the crowd and an awful mobile phone connection. Of course, it's all in Cantonese. Brilliant."

My mate says he heard Bill O' saying at half time: "The two German central defenders have been called the Twin Towers. And they were destroyed too."

:)

Fair dues to the Turks. I'm convinced that if they'd had Nihat, Tuncay, Servet and the goalie back they'd have won. Emre too.

Altintop was class. Aurelio was impressive at times too. Kazim has the makings of an excellent player.

Anyway, another great game in Euro2008. Roll on 7:45 (pm).

Don't know if anyone else on Thumped experienced the TV blackout of the match or the weird timing of match/commentary/other people's viewings, but a guy from the Guardian website (in otherwise slightly annoying "Amn't-I-funny!" commentary) sums it up pretty good:

58 min: My TV freezes - as do all the TVs on the desk. Not great news for MBM purposes. The Beeb are pumping the Five Live commentary through. Apparently Hamit as lamped a free-kick miles over the bar. But I can't be sure. Cos I can't see anything.

63 min: TV pictures are down in Montreal and Rome too. And France. And Germany. It's a global meltdown, people!

64 min: Buenos Aires also lost their feed. Blimey! We're back on now, though. Nic Clifton is in Switzerland and he didn't lose his picture. So what happened, Nic? "Apparently the players know the TV is not working, they aren't doing a lot ..." :)rolleyes:)

76 min: Ah nuts. We've lost picture again. Apparently there's a thunder storm affecting the power supply. Ho hum.

GOAL! Germany 2-1 Turkey (Klose 78): Goal! And I didn't see it! Rustu comes for a cross, makes a right pig's ear of it, and Klose heads home. So I'm told.

79 min: Pictures are back here. Though I'm stuck with radio commentary.

80 min: The commentary is about half a second ahead of the action, which is really freaking me out. It's like Alan Green is a soothsayer.
:)))

What a night! Five goals, another late Turkey comeback, an even later German comeback, and a global TV meltdown.

The last word goes to Ravi Hiranand. "Here's how the game ended on TV in Hong Kong," writes Ravi. "Five guys in a studio listening in on a phone call between one of the presenters and someone sitting in the stands attempting to describe what's happened over the noise of the crowd and an awful mobile phone connection. Of course, it's all in Cantonese. Brilliant."
c'mere, you didn't venture out into the street did ya? bit curious to see if the apocalyptic hyperbole of most people i've been talkin to the last few days synced with the buzz about town

not curious enough to go out meself, mind :rolleyes:

I had the misfortune of having to watch this on BBC and forgot how irritating Linekar and his puns are "Frings can only get better" and "Turkey were silenced by the Lahm" !zed

I have to say, I thought Apres Match was pretty funny last night...

It can be cringeworthy though, the sort of guff your Dad laughs at :confused:

the bit were the Apres Match Gilesy says "well I'd agree with myself there, Bill" :) :) :)

I thought they missed a lot of golden opportunities on Apres Match, the actual panel was funnier.

Bill: "You'll have to commentate yourselves there now lads, as experts, ha!"
Liam: "Germany is winning.....Germany is winning.......Bill, Germany is winning"
Bill: "Oh my goodness!"

I thought they missed a lot of golden opportunities on Apres Match, the actual panel was funnier.

Bill: "You'll have to commentate yourselves there now lads, as experts, ha!"
Liam: "Germany is winning.....Germany is winning.......Bill, Germany is winning"
Bill: "Oh my goodness!"

I enjoyed the four lads commentating on the end of the game far more then any of the other commentating I've heard all tournament !!

so who is starting the arseshavin big game bottler thread ?

Does one shit game make him shit in the same way one good game makes him great?

I'm still backing him. Russia were poxy tonight for whatever reason - a total let down.

Fabregas is even better when he isn't under pressure to run the entire game like he does for Arsenal - that was an excellent performance from the bench.

Still fancy Ze Germanz unfortunately.

Poor old Torres. Had a real Luca Toni night. Russia were extremely poor. Didn't seem to think they could win. The weather seemed to effect the play hugely, but Spain really adapted second half. Lovely goals the lot of them.

Was his second man of the match performance from the bench and he always handles the pressure for us btw.....

No doubt he's good for Arsenal but its like Wenger wants to make him run the whole show rather than let him do a couple of things really really well - the same way Gerrard wans to run the whole show but really would be better off just banging in shots and setting up Torres.

He didn't handle the pressure at this season when there was pressure on from the other big teams - his outstanding form from the start of the season disappeared and he didn't score a goal for ages whilst Arsenals challenges wilted in each competition after February - but its silly to blame him. If he had more help from the likes of sick-note Rosicky and Hleb especially (whos fear of shooting keeps him from being really good) rather than just Flamini, then Fabregas would be even better.

But I agree - man of the match shit tonight and in general his displays in this tournament have been of a really high standard, the best of his play. He's playing without any burdens it looks like.

Actually, did anyone witness when they cut back to the studio Dunphy was making angry threatening gestures to someone off camera? It was fucking amazing! I need to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back