Euro 2008 (1 Viewer)

I dont think anyone is criticising the lads in the studio. They are so far ahead of the game they can barely make out Gary Lineker's paedo smile. It's the co-commentators - Ray Houghton in particular - that make RTE very difficult viewing. And it's a real shame because the analysis is such compelling viewing at times.

Yeah fair enough.
I think yer man Dara what's his name is good though. And Hamilton's good to laugh at for being so ridiculous.
But yeah the co-commentators are all pretty bollocks, Cunningham is probably the best they have and he talks like a robot. Houghton is my personal favourite because he's always liable to come out with some complete nonsense.

The comparison though, again, is watching the BBC and having co-commentating from Mark fucking Lawrenson. I don't know any other commentator who sounds as smarmy and conceited as that prick. I fucking HATE him! And he totally goes along with the whole "England are great" shit as well.
Like I clearly remember one of the many times England had just gone behind in an important match, the commentary went something like this:

Barry Davies: "Well, what do you have to say about that Mark?"
Mark Lawrenson: "Well what can you say?"

Yeah Mark, real fucking insightful, you cock!

Yeah fair enough.
I think yer man Dara what's his name is good though. And Hamilton's good to laugh at for being so ridiculous.
But yeah the co-commentators are all pretty bollocks, Cunningham is probably the best they have and he talks like a robot. Houghton is my personal favourite because he's always liable to come out with some complete nonsense.

The comparison though, again, is watching the BBC and having co-commentating from Mark fucking Lawrenson. I don't know any other commentator who sounds as smarmy and conceited as that prick. I fucking HATE him! And he totally goes along with the whole "England are great" shit as well.
Like I clearly remember one of the many times England had just gone behind in an important match, the commentary went something like this:

Barry Davies: "Well, what do you have to say about that Mark?"
Mark Lawrenson: "Well what can you say?"

Yeah Mark, real fucking insightful, you cock!

this guys your real fave though isnt he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Fullerton

Of course. Bilic is a terrific coach though.
also rather blessed that neither england nor germany turned up to play him. have we forgotten the austria game already?? and the sheer brazen randomness of the goal that won it?

There seems to be a huge amount of not-giving-credit going around in these Euro's - every time a goal is conceded in turns out that the team in question are "rubbish at the back."

As for Germany "not turning up" Croatia completely outplayed them. Germany have no creative genius to pull something out of nothing - Loew freely admitted that, they're just a pretty straightforward, strong, good technical team.

I've been terribly disappointed with Mario Gomez... he belies his big Budesliga rep by being a clumsy passenger and Podolski (who I struggle to believe is actually a Bundesliga leper) actually shows he has the appetite for the big stage every time.

A much better example of a team "not turning up" is the Russian second half performance, where once they realised they probably wouldn't win, they constantly slowed up counter attack possession, wandered around with their heads down and passed the ball to players who weren't there, then gave up - thats what "not turning up" is. Not just getting beaten by a better team who have tactically out-mentalled you.

There seems to be a huge amount of not-giving-credit going around in these Euro's - every time a goal is conceded in turns out that the team in question are "rubbish at the back."

Agreed. This is the Giles virus. Also, no game of football is a satisfactorily good game unless one or both of the teams are deemed to be 'great', which is never.

As for Germany "not turning up" Croatia completely outplayed them. Germany have no creative genius to pull something out of nothing - Loew freely admitted that, they're just a pretty straightforward, strong, good technical team.

I've been terribly disappointed with Mario Gomez... he belies his big Budesliga rep by being a clumsy passenger and Podolski (who I struggle to believe is actually a Bundesliga leper) actually shows he has the appetite for the big stage every time.
why is low playing podolski on the left? is it cos he had such a wretched season as a striker, low doesn't want to look like a tit for picking him over gomez? they were daft down the left last night, and snra destroyed the, lucas always going inside, jansen just not there. croatia played well, and all, but germany got lost. it's as if they decided, fuck it, we can beat austia.... and then portugal. i'd love that, germany versus portual.

Loew was playing Podolski on the left cos he hasn't really got into the Bayern team ahead of Klose and Toni. That was kind of what I was suprised about - why is he such a leper for Bayern? I can certainly see why Gomez was picked ahead of him to start but you'd have to think Podolski has to be given a go up front now. Gomez hasn't shone at all.

I certainly think he's capable of being a very good striker at club level, just that things haven't gone his way at all with injuries and Bayern's terrible (by their own standards) performance in the season before last. Last season I was hoping Liverpool would go in for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back