Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... (3 Viewers)

jane said:
I'm so with you on this, Kirstie. I was once coerced into watching some movie with her in it, with Nicholas Cage, something about fucking angels (JEEESUS), and when she died near the end, I was thrilled.
City of Angels I think it was. I thought that was OK, actually, except for the end which was just stupid (I'm a sucker for Nic Cage though)
Wings of Desire, the film it was a remake of, was no better

egg_ said:
City of Angels I think it was. I thought that was OK, actually, except for the end which was just stupid (I'm a sucker for Nic Cage though)
Yep, that's the one. I know a lot of people who liked it , but it was just too self-consciously 'poignant' for my tastes. Felt emotionally invaded by it, and I didn't even like it. I used to like Nicholas Cage, but there's something about his puppy-dog eyes that bugs the hell out of me now.

Then again, even I'm somewhat ashamed of how judgemental I am about films. Lately, I've been much better about giving them more of a chance, but there are just some that I can't do.

Yeah so I saw that Eternal Sunshine etc. film. It was alright. At best I'd say it was pretty good. But it sure wasn't brilliant or amazing or anything. Other people said it was hard to follow, but I thought it was easy enough to figure out. Jim Carrey was quite good in it. I am at a loss to see why people would say this film is amazing. I mean, there wasn't one explosion, and Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't even do a cameo. One good thing about the film, Elijah Wood is a bad guy, great, if only someone would smash his face in though.

egg_ said:

Are you kidding???
Wings of Desire is like my favorite movie ever made, along side Paris Texas, both by Wim Wenders... I aint never seen Shity of Angels, and never will...

Ian said:
Shity of Angels, and never will...
thats that u.s. version of something like 'cassiel*' or something? I'm having vague flashbacks to late night channel 4.

* has loo read in it and nick cave does the ceoil?

edit: put dots between the u and s to remove the ambiguity.

kstop said:
Seems to be a chick thing. I still haven't seen the Kill Bills coz my girlf won't go to anything with Uma Thurman in it.

hold on to that one, shes a keeper. listen to her wise ways: uma sucks serious ass.

And ST: The Next Generation was the greatest show ever, after twin peaks, quantum leap, and six feet under (tho i'm at pains to reference anything made in the last 10 years)

jane said:
I know, I know, but I just can't shake it. I mean, I haven't even seen that many Jim Carrey movies (certainly not enough to have such a negative response, anyway), but still, I just ..... can't explain it. I think maybe I'm just angry because he made poop humour look so unfunny, and I don't think I'll ever get over it. Even when he's in something serious, I'm still waiting for him to start pulling faces and jumping around like a fucking idiot. I'll never trust him.

He's like that guy, that friend-of-a-friend, who got into a few drunken fights, or really offended someone to the core, just a couple of times, and maybe it was years ago. But still, every time that friend says, "Yeah, XXX is coming out with us," you just can't enjoy yourself. Maybe he's started being nice, even gone to charm school, but you're just on edge the whole time anyway.
Don't want to give anything away, but this is actually one of the things the film is good at getting across- the way we don't really interact with other people, but with the lazy versions of them we've put together out of a couple of stand-out memories.

Always hated carrey myself, but he's actually good in this (and good meaning "immersed in the part" rather than "constantly drawing attention to how unlike Jim Carrey he's being right now"). Don't know how they did it (lithium, hypnotism, ritalin), but they managed to dredge a great, washed-out, genuinely affecting performance out of the fucker.

Right on Alan, Uma Thurman may be alright looking but she's a shit actress. Kill Bill is overrated as fuck. You wanna watch a Samurai movie, get some fuckin Akira Kurosawa, thats all you need.
Quantum Leap rules beyond all ruleness. Obviously the best episode is the one where he is an Egyptian Archaeologist and he's excavating this lost pyramid in the middle of the desert, and it's got this curse that starts killing the excavation party, one of the best TV series episodes ever.
The Next Generation is good because they said Ireland would be reunited in one episode and that episode was banned from the BBC. Amazing.
Twin Peaks? Six Feet Under? Shite. Although Six Feet Under does have it's moments. Everyone knows 24 is the best current TV series, mainly because it's totally ridiculous. Like the first season was class (anything with Dennis Hopper in it as the badguy is automatically amazing) but it's just getting funny more than anything now. What the fuck am I on about.

Alan Remorse said:
hold on to that one, shes a keeper. listen to her wise ways: uma sucks serious ass.

And ST: The Next Generation was the greatest show ever, after twin peaks, quantum leap, and six feet under (tho i'm at pains to reference anything made in the last 10 years)
Are you sure you're not my girlfriend. If not, the two of you must never meet.

captain anomie said:
thats that u.s. version of something like 'cassiel*' or something? I'm having vague flashbacks to late night channel 4.

* has loo read in it and nick cave does the ceoil?

edit: put dots between the u and s to remove the ambiguity.
Cassiel is the name of bruno gantz's mate angel...
There was 2 films, first wings of Desire (that shity of angels is "based" on), this one features Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds playing From Her To Eternity in a club in Berlin toward the end of the movie

The second is the rather dire Faraway, So Close... this one features Lou Reed and a deadly soundtrack, but a dodgy sequal to say the least... Nick Cave has a song on the soundtrack called Cassiel...

One of us said:
Don't want to give anything away, but this is actually one of the things the film is good at getting across- the way we don't really interact with other people, but with the lazy versions of them we've put together out of a couple of stand-out memories.

Always hated carrey myself, but he's actually good in this (and good meaning "immersed in the part" rather than "constantly drawing attention to how unlike Jim Carrey he's being right now"). Don't know how they did it (lithium, hypnotism, ritalin), but they managed to dredge a great, washed-out, genuinely affecting performance out of the fucker.
The 'look how unlike Ace Ventura I'm being' Jim Carrey is what I was getting at, and I really can't imagine him being good in any sense, but since I haven't seen it, I suppose I should stop bitching about it. Now, maybe I'm beginning to be intrigued.

Cormcolash said:
Right on Alan, Uma Thurman may be alright looking but she's a shit actress. Kill Bill is overrated as fuck. You wanna watch a Samurai movie, get some fuckin Akira Kurosawa, thats all you need.
Quantum Leap rules beyond all ruleness. Obviously the best episode is the one where he is an Egyptian Archaeologist and he's excavating this lost pyramid in the middle of the desert, and it's got this curse that starts killing the excavation party, one of the best TV series episodes ever.
The Next Generation is good because they said Ireland would be reunited in one episode and that episode was banned from the BBC. Amazing.
Twin Peaks? Six Feet Under? Shite. Although Six Feet Under does have it's moments. Everyone knows 24 is the best current TV series, mainly because it's totally ridiculous. Like the first season was class (anything with Dennis Hopper in it as the badguy is automatically amazing) but it's just getting funny more than anything now. What the fuck am I on about.

24 is the worst show ever! its like they wrote the first five episodes and forgot they'd have to make another 19, so they just make it up as they go along to waste time...

"lets see, what can we do to Jack to make him take up another hour... i spose we could give him a flat tyre..."

yeah that episode of quantum leap was class, but my favourite ones are:

the one in vietnam (by far the best)
the one where he's the black guy in the south
the one where hes the guy with no legs
any episode where he's a woman.... the hilarity of scott bakula in a dress never wore thin

And i cant handle Twin Peaks being called shit!!! this does not compute!!!

"Wings Of Desire" is superb.

"Faraway So Close"...oh dear.

Ian said:
Are you kidding???
Wings of Desire is like my favorite movie ever made, along side Paris Texas, both by Wim Wenders... I aint never seen Shity of Angels, and never will...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back