Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... (1 Viewer)

it's not donnie darko

although there is a bunch of shitty american emo bands with song titles like 'Meet me in Montauk'. ugh, wrecking it
donnie darko didn't have em, thank god, it was all killer, no filler. killing moon? head over heels? notorious? i rest my case.

navel gazing. a movie for goths. tish.

no, this is a movie for goths....

elviraposter.gif

I thought I liked this. And then I saw it again last night. And the character Kate Winslet played is intensily annoying.
And when Jim Carey is doing serious roles, he just looks like he has a cold.

But what really struck me about this film is that if you are in a serious relationship, it's kind of physically impossible to remove your other half through simply getting rid of possessions that will remind you of them. Basically everything will remind you of them.

But it's a good movie. Just that the couple still have a way to go - if you know what I mean.

best thing Kaufmann did IMHO

I love adaptation too.. which is strange as normally that horse faced ham merchant nicholas cage messes things up. The bit where yer orchid thief is in the crash is one of the most moving scenes I've ever seen, and it just comes outta nowhere.

LOVED eternal sunshine too.. who knew jim carrey could act restrained rather than require it. Is the point not that you CAN'T erase someone tho - otherwise you end up just back at the beginning not having learned anything?

I remember all the reviews at the time were about how Charlie Kaufman finally nailed an ending.

Yeah, it was great. And definitely his best, but I loved Being John Malkovich and Adaptation too. Thought the endings were great.

But it's the hard romance of Eternal Sunshine that won me over. It's not particurlarly glamorous or weepy but it's a real kicker. Gets you right where it's supposed to.

And people make mistakes. But they forgive each other, cos that's what you do when you're in love.

I think it was the best pic of that year.

I think even Kirsten Dunst was good in it. Cos you get to see her in knickers. Again.

Romance....

I Is the point not that you CAN'T erase someone tho - otherwise you end up just back at the beginning not having learned anything?

I like to think that it also says that if you are meant to be with someone then you will be, just the time has to be right. Think Jim Carrey is excellent in this, don't care what anyone says, he is a fantastic straight actor - just look at the Truman Show, that was a hell of a performance.

I think it's great. Loved it. It's both romantic and miserable.. all the characters are deeply unhappy and yet have stunning moments of happiness because of the person they love. The way their memories are erased reminds me of how I imagine when you step off a bridge to your death you might think.. "hmmm.. actually maybe it wasn't all bad." To be reminded of the greatest moments last before they're all gone is such a kick in the face.

I loved how Winslet must've gone through the exact same experience and how they both told the other to meet out at the beach. So rosemantic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back