Electric Picnic 2013 (1 Viewer)

this is the shittest Electric Picnic crowd ever. No one there gives a flying fuck about the music. Sneak in a load of cans and sit by the main stage no matter what bollox is on there.

Every tent is practically empty for every act playing in them (apart from Black Rebel Motorcycle club for some reason).

I was at Merchandise last night and I was actually fearful that people would leave because, take 2 or 3 away from the 20 or so that were there and the place starts to feel even more empty than it already was.

The EP organisers could have had 50% less bands than are on the bill and 70% of the pricks there;

a) wouldn't notice
b) wouldn't care if they did.

Highlight of my yesterday was standing within 2 feet of David Byrne at Matthew E White. He left before the end, probably because I was staring at him all the time.

another highlight was staring at this lady for a half an hour

DSC8637.jpg

this is the shittest Electric Picnic crowd ever. No one there gives a flying fuck about the music. Sneak in a load of cans and sit by the main stage no matter what bollox is on there.

Every tent is practically empty for every act playing in them (apart from Black Rebel Motorcycle club for some reason).

I was at Merchandise last night and I was actually fearful that people would leave because, take 2 or 3 away from the 20 or so that were there and the place starts to feel even more empty than it already was.

The EP organisers could have had 50% less bands than are on the bill and 70% of the pricks there;

a) wouldn't notice

Highlight of my yesterday was standing within 2 feet of David Byrne at Matthew E White. He left before the end, probably because I was staring at him all the time.

VINDICATION

a) wouldn't notice

This is the main reason I don't go to festivals anymore. That and I have a job so therefore can't afford to go to Primavera.

some interesting final words here

Electric Picnic Draws To A Close

Electric Picnic gets Better and Better..!

Firstly a big shout out to all the picnickers, artists and performers who all contributed to making this the best Picnic ever and helping us celebrate the 10th Picnic, which sold out for the first time in five years. The rain stayed away and the sun shone as 35, 000 picnickers arrived in Stradbally to celebrate Ireland’s National treasure. Festival goers enjoyed a spectacular fireworks display on Friday night and could pick up a piece of birthday cake from the lovely ladies of the local Stradbally Churches over the weekend. Thank You!

Headliners over the 3 day festival included Fatboy Slim, a storming set from Irish act Two Door Cinema Club and Sunday night main stagers Artic Monkeys.

Electric Picnic would like to pay special tribute to the unsung heros of the festival, who have contributed this year and the last ten years in making this this best way to spend a weekend in Ireland. In particular specials thanks goes to the paramedics who battled hard to prevent what could have resulted in significant casualties, from a batch of harmful drugs which have been doing the rounds of European festivals.*

The fifth Tour de Picnic has its most successful year to date with 1,000 cyclists and runners raising more than 200,000 euro for charity.

Laois Hospice was handed a cheque for 100,000 euro by organisers of the event, which saw 600 cyclists and 400 runners make the journey to Stradbally.

Funds were also raised for the Laura Lynn House and Thank You Crumlin, Love Mia.

The cyclists peddled 80km from City West on Friday, with the runners joining for the last 10km of the journey from Athy.

Brian McDermott of Give2Go said: “We are really pleased the fifth Tour de Picnic was so successful. This was out biggest year yet and will benefit three great charities.

“Adding the run for the first time opened the event up to a new group of participants who we hope join us next year.”

Mary Delaney, secretary of the Laois Hospice said who was presented with the cheque said: ‘ordinarily it would take us a full year to raise this amount, the money raised here today is an enormous contribution to the running of the Laois Hospice which is totally home focussed. Care in the home to people who are palliative, and are end of life and who wish to live out their final days at home, surrounded by their loved ones. The Laois Hospice foundation ensures, that those families get care and support for that critical period of their lives.

Organiser Melvin Benn said I am very happy how this year’s event has gone, Gardai ran a fantastic traffic management plan there were hardly any traffic jams. We are very happy with all the elements of organisation. I think there is room to get bigger for certain. I will be talking with Laois County Council about the possibility of increasing capacity by perhaps another 5,000 here. I am delighted with how everything went, it really is a fantastic event.

I fear for this festival though. Commercially it looks like it will more than survive, but the organisers can't have failed to have noticed the same things I did about the crowds. They could have saved a pot of cash by booking less acts and no one would have cared. They could possibly even get rid of one tent.

They are relying on the people drawn by the headline acts (whether consciously or not) to fill up the other tents. Or at least thats how I see it. I'm not sure what the breakdown of attendees was in terms of why people went. The single biggest draw was undoubtedly Arctic Monkeys who are massive among a generation who were in nappies when they started out. They crowd that went to see them probably also went to BRMC and 2-door cinema club and the 1975s and Ellie Goulding and whatever other teenie-bopper-indie stuff was on.

That crowd isn't into taking a chance on something on in the Cosby tent at 3pm on a sunday being decent. They're way too busy drinking vodka from a ribena bottle for that.

Bjork is a big name and was well attended, but wasn't a big draw in terms of ticket sales, I would suggest. The next biggest single draw was probably David Byrne. Maybe I'm wrong but he was, to the older indie boyos, what AM were to the teenie-boppers.

I don't know how they solve the problem. I reckon they should do it like parking validation. You pay 400 for your ticket but have to get a stamp every time you see a band (full set) play. You need 8 in the weekend and you get 200 quid back. If you don't then bye-bye money.

I popped into Indians yesterday. I counted the people there. 8. Everyone at the back of the tent. I walked up the front and few people followed me. I don't know how that is for him up there. He gets his money, sure, but to play for 8 people? That must be soul destroying for him. And he was kind of quiet-ish, and that Little Big Tent is next to that fucking blow-up wedding church thing that blares out some awful shite music the whole time. I would suggest the EP organisers need to apologise to that lad. Also, when it looked like he was going to finish up 5 mins early, the lad in charge of the tent ran over to him and told him he had to play til 5 o'clock. To 8 fucking people. I didn't even really like him that much but fucked if I was leaving.

Maybe I'm too sensitive and he didn't give a shite, but I doubt it.

Some stages work well. Body and Soul always have a captive-ish audience, especially on a sunday when everyone is fucked. I was there twice yesterday, once for Jennifer Evans at the start of the day when nothing else was on, and again later for Tiranniesaur who were, yet again, one of the highlights of the entire festival.

(my festival highlight was @das nugs amp blowing and Ian and Ruan having to improvise for 5 mins or so til they got the amp replaced).

The main stage is the same. People hang out in that area and will watch whatever is on. The tents are different. They're a little out of the way and require a bit of effort to haul yer ass to. The type of crowd there wasn't interested in making that effort for bands they didn't already know they liked.

I enjoyed the weekend overall. It was more about checking out bands I didn't know or barely know. By in large they were quite poor, but I still enjoy the experience of it all.

But, next year and the year after and the year after, I can see less and less of that type of band (the slightly more obscure type) on the bill. And that will be a disaster.

The free cake was great, but too big. I couldn't finish mine.

I popped into Indians yesterday. I counted the people there. 8. Everyone at the back of the tent. I walked up the front and few people followed me. I don't know how that is for him up there. He gets his money, sure, but to play for 8 people? That must be soul destroying for him.

Maybe I'm too sensitive and he didn't give a shite, but I doubt it.

I was at Electric Picnic once, in 2005, with about 10-15 friends. None of them had any interest in seeing any music except the headliners, Fatboy Slim, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips etc. I saw a good few bands (usually alone or with someone I had corralled to accompany me) playing during the daytime in tents to crowds that were barely in double-digits. So that's not a new phenomenon. Most people go to EP to drink, see a few bands, maybe take drugs, and have a laugh. Seems a waste, but there you go.

Trim the number of bands big time and make it cheaper. I'd probably go then.

Jim Carroll at his very best (meaning at his most hateful)

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/ocean-colour-scene-the-day-they-missed-the-train-1.1512243

That review was in the Ticket that they distributed at the festival yesterday. Nearly wet myself when I read it.
Shit, derivative music trumps shit journalism every single day of the week. I'd rather be stuck in a lift listening to Ocean Blue Something than standing next to Jim Carroll. Let's not even get into the inherent irony contained within.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back