Dublin (1 Viewer)

Pantone247 (05 Sep, 2001 04:42 p.m.):
speaking of Caffs who turned the Wed Wose Cafe into a pounce house?? its awful!! I had a really nice savoury ommlette in Alpha a while back, you've reminded me how nice that place is.... it hasn't be ponceafied yet has it???

No, but it had a narrow escape - it was bought by a couple of Morrocan guys who wre going to turn it into a Morrocan restaurant before they realsied what an institution it is. So they've just opened the Morrocan place on the floor above, and kept the Alpha as it is (except, bizarrely enough, they sell middle Eastern desserts along with the fry-ups). Hurrah! There was an epsidoe of Mono about it.

Pantone247 (05 Sep, 2001 04:42 p.m.):Anyway even the nice posh caffs are kinda o.k. (except for the Wed Wose....unforgivable) esspecially when you copare it to tother cities who have just row after row of Starbucks and Costa Cafe rather then anything remotly greasy or spoonshaped.

I can only compare it to London, New York and Paris who all have plenty of old school caffs left, although the Starbucks plague is slowly creeping through NY...

Lollo Rosso (05 Sep, 2001 04:55 p.m.):

No, but it had a narrow escape - it was bought by a couple of Morrocan guys who wre going to turn it into a Morrocan restaurant before they realsied what an institution it is. So they've just opened the Morrocan place on the floor above, and kept the Alpha as it is (except, bizarrely enough, they sell middle Eastern desserts along with the fry-ups). Hurrah! There was an epsidoe of Mono about it.

went in there for my dishlishcious saturday morning curry chips an' a can a coke last week.
the stairwell is all newly tiled and painted cos of the morroccan restaurant (which looks yum by the way) and then you step into The World Of Crud That Is More Commonly Known As The Alpha.
some things never change....

joss (05 Sep, 2001 04:55 p.m.):
Glasgow isn't dissimilar to Dublin but has been recently Starbuckised.
Pain in the hole.

as has Edinburger.... a crappy starbucks leek and chesse scone is a poor poor substitute for a greasy bastard breakfast roll. Very annoying. The only place one could get a fry up was BHS.....not very greasy spoon at all, at all.....

I think I was in Alpha when the Moroccan guys were in, they seemed very nice. I remember thinking the contradiction of setting and staff was quite odd...

wasn't it run by two old ladys who used to glare a lot before them.

its not that hard a choice and they're are plaenty of fab non-super pubs around.

???? name one good pub!

The Dean Swift on Francis Street is great. It's slightly scary but they do a lock in till 3 or four in the morning and serve cans at ungodly hours. Pints are only £1.20 or something.

Not nearly enough places to get veggie stout.
They sell it in Temple Bar. Unk.
The Palace is usually packed.
The Porterhouse gets so full you can't move and is obnoxious.

I wish the Lord Edward sold it.

The Lord Edward qualifies as a worthy pub for the faux mock tudor effect upstairs. Love it.

The Lord Edward
The Sackville Inn
The Palace Bar
The Long Hall
Grogans
The Stags Head
Kehoes
The Welcome Inn
Mulligans

..and countless others. Dublin is dying but there's still life in it. Which will come first: economic crash or an irreversible slide towards the fatuous. Probably both. I still like Dublin tho'. it's my home.

joss (05 Sep, 2001 05:27 p.m.):
Not nearly enough places to get veggie stout.
They sell it in Temple Bar. Unk.
The Palace is usually packed.
The Porterhouse gets so full you can't move and is obnoxious.

I wish the Lord Edward sold it.

aaahhh Joss, you can't give out about Dublin being pretentious and then ask for veggie stout. :p

whats wrong with our own pints of Goodness that makes it not veggie??

how about a nice can of veggie dutch gold??

Pantone247 (05 Sep, 2001 05:36 p.m.):

aaahhh Joss, you can't give out about Dublin being pretentious and then ask for veggie stout. :p

whats wrong with our own pints of Goodness that makes it not veggie??

Filtered through fish stomach matter. Gross, eh?

I don't equate veggieness with pretentiousness. The ponciness increase in Dublin has not produced an equivalent increase in all-veggie food emporiums, for instance.

how about a nice can of veggie dutch gold??

Actually Joss, Dudley tells me you're *the* authority on which beers are veggie. Please tell me Dutch Gold is?

but you forget young hag if one looks at things thru the eyes of a gay, one will think all is gay.

eh, you big ruddy spa.

r.e. veggie booze, nah I was only joking ala veggie pretentiousness. Is guinness really filtered thru fish guts?? they didn't mention that on the storehouse tour....

Blimey! When I saw I had 30 or so mails from you I expected dogs abuse. You've given me a warm glow(!)

I'll just reiterate that I did like the city and will be back (trying to set up a tour of the emerald isle). And, finish by concurring with Peepee: Pubs ARE great.

Five things that make Dublin good right now:
1) everyone is putting out there own records (and each one looks nicer and sounds better than the next).
2) you can actually skip(dumpster dive, get for free) food (something everyone that ever went and stayed in a squat and came back tried but could never do before)
3) Critical Mass (fuck yea!)
4) All the vegan places to eat and great health food stores and the best, the Dublin Food co-op
5) Certain people (without which I wouldn't be here)

Pantone247 (05 Sep, 2001 06:25 p.m.):
but you forget young hag if one looks at things thru the eyes of a gay, one will think all is gay.
eh, you big ruddy spa.
yeah? and?

the wed wose cafe is a perfect example of the new dublin. it was purchased by mr. vincent hart who had visions of turning the place into dublin's premiere gay/lesbian cafe. unfortunately he didn't quite manage it, the food was shit and unbelieveably overpriced. the service was terrible too because he employed people like me for 4.20 an hour!!! he was trying to do trend on the cheap and only managed to fuck up a deadly cafe.
i've just come from a summer in a really progressive and un-american town in america. now i see dublin as a complete shithole! the people are bastards, the atmosphere is shit and the fucking cars are a nightmare.
and the welcome inn has changed too. it's also become quite trendy. i remember when nobody ever went in there except underage kids and the pat ingoldsby bloke who sits at the bar and talks to john. i was in there tuesday week ago and it's full of fucking "alternative" types, crusties and people who look like they go to jimmy cake gigs. oh and john asks for i.d. now, cos they got raided by the pigs. and there's new bar staff to keep up with all the new people who drink there. see, it's all changing! nothing stays the same...it all goes to shit!

Monkey (05 Sep, 2001 06:04 p.m.):
If you don't like Dublin then just fuck off to somewhere else

And who's to say I won't hate that too?

Actually, I don't hate Dublin.
I'm just not convinced that all change is for the better.
Sulkypants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back