Dublin (2 Viewers)

doesn't everywhere have good and bad points and don't those depend on the person? WHERE IS THE LOVE???

Stephen (05 Sep, 2001 06:46 p.m.):
Five things that make Dublin good right now:
1) everyone is putting out there own records (and each one looks nicer and sounds better than the next).
Yup, this is a good thing.

2) you can actually skip(dumpster dive, get for free) food (something everyone that ever went and stayed in a squat and came back tried but could never do before)

Really?! Not that I actually need to, but I diodn't know it was possible. Must confess to doing it in New York when I was really broke.

4) All the vegan places to eat

I must be missing out here, but there don't seem to be that many (Juice, Govindas, Escape, Cornucopia)? Although it is way easier to get veggie and vegan food in ordinary restaurants than it used to be.

Some of the greatest pubs in Dublin, and reasons why:

- Slattery's (Grand Canal St.)
Run and populated by real live human beings. Also, very gorgeous.

- The Stag's Head (Dame Lane)
Salt of the earth boozer of the old skool. Some complain about the Trinity students that frequent it but we older types are gradually outnumbering the squeaky-voiced twerps.

- Kehoes (South Anne St.)
Not all parts of Kehoe's are equally pleasant, but you can't beat that "I'm in an old bloke's sitting-room" feel of the front room upstairs.

- Walsh's (Stoneybatter)
An old-fashioned bar for young alcos next to a lounge for aspiring dipsos: it's college right next to secondary school. Also, attentive barmen who don't make you feel like they're doing you a favour by taking your money.

- The Lord Edward (Lord Edward St.)
Quiet. Maybe, maybe too quiet sometimes. But always nice. Also, the barman acts like an English "landlord" - wears a suit, collects glasses, is a gentleman. You get a weird mixture of folk in here - from choristers to corpo workers. Keep it under your hat, though.

- The Hut (Phibsboro)
Occasionally fills up with fat-headed coppers throwing shapes across the room from flocks of prison guards. If the coast is clear, though, you've got yourself one of the cosiest places on the northside. Especially if you support Bohs.

Pubs enough for ya?

rocktopus (05 Sep, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
its not that hard a choice and they're are plaenty of fab non-super pubs around.

???? name one good pub!

there is also a gem of a pub beside Tara street station called Kennedys.
This is not the cesspit below Tara street now, but just before the dart station on the corner...

i usd to venture in there for a porter and for to watch corry street, before it became a comedy.

Anne O'Malley (06 Sep, 2001 03:35 p.m.)
You're not thinking of Kennedy's on Westland Row?

no...it's the one that faces Butt Bridge. It's on the corner just before Tara Street station.

joss (06 Sep, 2001 03:03 p.m.):
Surely Escape doesn't count since it's in Bray.

Veggie Beers
Safe and delicious beers

hurrah Carlsberg Special Brew is veggie!!

"Gentle men of the Streets" in every doorway will be delighted.

no mention of the Dutch wonder though........ I hear that Dutch Gold is filtered only thru the finest of juciy lean Fillet Steaks. mmmmm

Have you tried No.1 Brew, its from Kilkenny, I think and is well nice, similar buzz to the Maeves.

wow looking at that list it seems i too am a beer vegitarian. i never knew i cared so much.

it's back to veal juice for me, so.

i was tunred on to chaplins beside the screen cinema recently. it's the best pub in dublin and that is my opinion.

Pantone247 (06 Sep, 2001 02:56 p.m.):

2) you can actually skip(dumpster dive, get for free) food (something everyone that ever went and stayed in a squat and came back tried but could never do before)

what does this mean???

This means you can live off the waste food in dublin. Glorious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back