Dublin Racist Riots (5 Viewers)

Posting this with a caveat that I've barely read beyond a paragraph or two in, but I suspect this will be an interesting read - spicebag on the reaction to the rioting

That’s pretty on the money from my perspective

There is a programme on Tipp FM radio where the format is mostly phone in.
Similar to Liveline there's not much vetting on what is spoken about.
I only ever listen to sport on that station.
But every time I have heard snippets of "Tipp Today" recently some miserable sod was going on about immigrants in their town.
e.g. 74 people new due people in Cashel (pop. 4,800) about 12 days ago. These twits seem to be getting a platform regularly.
The day after the Dublin riots some caller was complaining about the rioters ("gurriers") and was worried about the poor tourists.
Not a lot of self awareness with the callers. They don't seem to join up the dots.

In 2022 folks from several Tipp towns phoned in and complained about gangs of kids being obstreperous.
It turned into full on anti traveler bile.

I don't think this low level broadcasting is unique either. These clueless Irish people just don't get it and won't listen to reason and facts.
They were saying on Brendan this morning that we need to be properly talking about immigration
Like it's okay for people to ask 'are we taking a lot of Ukrainians?' or 'How many can we take?' or whatever
Change is difficult and we need to listen to people and bring them along to the new Ireland with us, much like we did with the grannies on abortion and gay marriage.
Less, "You're a cunt for being afraid of different people and change" and more "I see what you're saying, but this is a better Ireland we're getting"
And being candid about the difficulties.
Get people bought in.
Not talking about the hardcore nutters; they're a lost cause.

The point being, the more you dismiss reasonable people voicing honest fears/concerns, the quicker they retreat into another world and you wake up one morning with Geert Wilders with a plurality in your parliament.
People who don't feel their point of view is valued, will go where they are listened to.

I guess she's famous within a circle, it was shared by someone who's kinda on the outer orbit of people i know and i thought it an interesting counterpoint to the other edge of reality video i shared.
I mean she's away with the fairies but it does go to show that we can all tend to view events through the lens of the things we're already concerned about

Kinda funny that 15-minute cities are a threat to some

They were saying on Brendan this morning that we need to be properly talking about immigration
Like it's okay for people to ask 'are we taking a lot of Ukrainians?' or 'How many can we take?' or whatever
Change is difficult and we need to listen to people and bring them along to the new Ireland with us, much like we did with the grannies on abortion and gay marriage.
Less, "You're a cunt for being afraid of different people and change" and more "I see what you're saying, but this is a better Ireland we're getting"
And being candid about the difficulties.
Get people bought in.
Not talking about the hardcore nutters; they're a lost cause.

The point being, the more you dismiss reasonable people voicing honest fears/concerns, the quicker they retreat into another world and you wake up one morning with Geert Wilders with a plurality in your parliament.
People who don't feel their point of view is valued, will go where they are listened to.
The problem is the Tipp FM presenter doesn't call them out on their poor reasoning. He is 'harmless' - in a bad way. He let's people have their say with little scrutiny and doesn't fall out with anyone.
The on air bullying of the travellers in 2022 that I mentioned involved him reading out anti traveller texts on air without criticism.
It seems overwhelmingly ignorant people get this platform.
I mean 74 people moving into a town of 4,800 people is nothing to complain about - the accommodation is there.
This is Michael Lowry and definitely Mattie McGrath territory (one of the closest TDs to the far right / climate change denier).

This stuff didn't seem on the radio agenda a few years ago.
Something is going badly wrong and this started to get bad long before the Ukraine war.

Maybe this is unusual but in my mind foreign folks are if anything, nicer and more interesting than Irish people. Nothing to be scared of.

H Kelly, Gilroy, GO'D, Waters, Barrett, Blighe are dangerous fools that unfortunately can't be deported.

Decided to listen to Tipp FM call in programme Tipp Today with Fran Murray.
Usually I only ever hear this as background noise on bus, shop, restaurant etc.
First call was about LL Toy Show.

After that it was a retired Garda Christy calling and it turned into a horror show.
He said it was easy to track down lads "busted heads". He talked of hitting a few people with batons in a traveller feud in Birr and other times. Christy "wouldn't be afraid to break rank" when armed with a baton if had been personally insulted.

Riots were purely a law and disorder event to him.
Fran made no criticism of what he said.
"Thank you for your insight Christy".

Next older guy farmer wanted the army brought in. For once Fran said the might make things worse.
The rioters wouldn't be "scumbags" "except for how they were brought up".

Fran mentions people's concerns about immigration and far right
Christy vaguely mentions foreign folks being targeted.
Christy says Helen McEntee would be better off resigning and taking care of her family than putting herself though the stress she is faced with.
Fran politely challenges him on that.

Next guest was a guy from Vincent De Paul. Fran in fairness did ask if Ukrainian community had required help. VdP guy said not really.

10 am news on now. "The deaths" coming next...
I think I am right to be worried.

I suppose we're about to find out just how much influence over young Irish men McGregor still has. Time was he seemed like the template for a type to young lad to aspire to.

Don't think it's a surprise to see him pivot into massive race baiter, he used to regularly say pretty bad things when trying to sell his fights.

We took the kids into Santa in Jervis on Sunday,then went for a walk to the Ilac.

I love the city and have always defended it and tried to put my money back into it. But, it was a pretty grim, short walk up Henry street. The weather didn't help, but shops windows boarded up. People, sadly, living in tents. Lad drinking a bottle of bud roaring his head off.

Kinda funny that 15-minute cities are a threat to some

I'm totally fine with 16 minute cities, some people just go to far. It is a decent enough weather checker on wether someone has slightest idea what they are talking about or have they just assembled a few sentences.

i.e. new radical theory on why something is something
source also is opposed to 15 minute cities, theory is deemed invalid without need for further investigation.

I'm totally fine with 16 minute cities, some people just go to far. It is a decent enough weather checker on wether someone has slightest idea what they are talking about or have they just assembled a few sentences.

i.e. new radical theory on why something is something
source also is opposed to 15 minute cities, theory is deemed invalid without need for further investigation.
What’s a 15 minute city? Is it like Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute dinners?

Identical.

It's a town planning concept that you can reach most of the things you need to live within 15 minutes, as opposed to say 60 minutes on the m50. Basically Dutch / Walkable style stuff, or similar to some medium german cities. It's gaining popularity as a catchphrase in terms of trying to find ways to live that arent driving a car about all the time.

It's an urban planning concept for a town or city where everything you need is within 15 minute's travel, basically a well planned mixed use urban area where you don't have to travel miles and miles to get basic necessities.

It's been latched on to in the past few years by the most cynical culture-warrior fuckers and conflated with various conspiracy theories (and deliberately mixed up with traffic restriction / clear air regulations in places like London) in order to scaremonger people into thinking that they will be restricted by law from travelling outside of small zones, which is absolutely not part of the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

• sleepy
  • Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back