Dj's, I just don't get it (4 Viewers)

beetleonitsback said:
gold teeth thief is rubbish. i hate when producers put pointless ragga samples into breakcore tracks. if you're not from jamaica or wherever, what is the point of putting a sample of some dude shouting over the top of your otherwise-perfectly-serviceable track? i nearly sent it back to warpmart, seriously. there's about two decent tracks on it.

fair enough, but i should point out he was playing dancehall tracks over other tunes, not sampling them exactly.

Any of you monkeys heard gimix by the avalanches? now that's some goodness, as is their cornerstone mix.

Napalm said:
jasus , that hurt...but then again I don't like punk, more of Weller man myself but oh wait

Well it's applicable to weller aswell, it's called "having different tastes from other people". It's usually a good thing.

magnetize said:
agreed, best mix cd ive heard.

Second best for me, after the Coldcut one. And since Blechsdottir was mixed by DJ Food (I think), there's even a connection...

magnetize said:
i like the v2 soulwax one too.

It always came off a bit too irony-laden for my tastes, but it's reasonably good mindless fun.

Paul

Napalm said:
point being like, how much of this stuff would stand up without a gobfull of pills?
Yeah, sure techno isn't even real music. It's all just made using software, how can it be real music if it isn't made using guitars?

Raiding The 20th century by DJ Food is one of my favourite mixes of recent times(mainly due to my nerdy obsession with cut 'n' paste records). It's pretty easy to find on the internerd. www.djfood.org is a good place to start.

photon said:
I think /rupture kind of does that. Yeah, he can chop, cut and slice with the best of 'em, but anyone who drops an utterly irredeemable track like Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly" into a set is automatically suspect in my book. Throwing in a mad, fucked-up sample just to show that you can counts for very little.

oh, i adore roberta flack, and that song. curse the fugees for mutilating it though.

I think he showed this failing rather obviously on his Special Gunpowder album of last year, which I think is pretty awful. The production, as you'd expect, is fine, but the songs ain't any damn good. I never thought I'd ever say that he was boring, but after listening to that album, I've come to really question his musical judgement.

yeah, i didn't like that album at all. listened to it once and not since. very bland and boring.

Nothing he's ever done DJ-wise has approached someone like Coldcut at their best. Play Minesweeper Suite and 70 Minutes of Madness (still the best DJ mix CD I've ever heard) back-to-back and judge for yourself.

i have and love that Coldcut mix album. in fact, i just love Coldcut. they did a track called "hey kids what time is it" which is wonderful, as is "beats and pieces" but i digress. personally i far prefer minesweeper to 70 minutes, they are both superb, but /r's one does it much more for me.

surgeon is amazing also.

idea for a dj show: mike up a frying pan, get a couple of goons to dress up in clown outfits to pound baseball bats against the floor while wicked eye jim (the famous scratch dude who i just made up) scratches his records using all manner of hardware tools....!ninjaaaa

it's all about entertaining the punters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude no.7 said:
idea for a dj show: mike up a frying pan, get a couple of goons to dress up in clown outfits to pound baseball bats against the floor while wicked eye jim (the famous scratch dude who i just made up) scratches his records using all manner of hardware tools....!ninjaaaa

I'd imagine it's been done.

Zeelander said:
Word to that sister. I appreciate everything better when I'm not mashed out of my face like a slobbering lunatic that just thinks everything and everyone is deadly.

"ecstacy" with repeated use does turn people into zombies with zero critical faculties. everything sounds brilliant, from paul okenfold to a dog pissing on an electric fence.

Dude no.7 said:

Actually I'd probably pay to see that alright!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back