Diggin' the crates - a record buying thread (1 Viewer)

Dude is from Sligo
https://www.facebook.com/faughts.ireland?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Photos from the page
1157632_10151601121601087_2143274131_n.jpg

Hi All, Brian Comet aka Irish Record Fairs ( & Irish Record Fairs | Facebook ) here. Faughts Record Fairs & Record Fairs Ireland are the same person, Paddy from Sligo, I think.
You can get most fair listings around the country by checking www . irishrecordfairs . com

Next fair is this Saturday in Galway Nov 2nd at the Electric Garden from 11 - 5pm and the next Filmbase fair is Friday - Sunday November 8th - 10th it's a full house with 45 tables! Filmbase Nov2013.jpg

Last edited:
The flea market in Newmarket in D8 on the last Sunday of every month has some decent cheap vinyl.

DUBLIN FLEA MARKET: The Last Sunday Of Every Month

Agree, I've got some nice stuff there. Don't like the 11.00am starting time though. When I voiced this with a friend I got the following response

"Start earlier?! It's a hipster market. They're doing well to be out of bed and have their stall up by 11.00"

I usually get a load of stuff at the flea market. Got some records I'd been looking for for ages at it too.

Going to try and get to the record fair in film base and the one in Dun Laoghaire next weekend.

With second hand vinyl I'm looking for VG+ and upwards. I hate noisey records.
i'm happy to take shabby old records as long as they're between 50 pence and £1.
edinburgh's good for secondhand vinyl although with a LOT of shit to sift through, billy connolly records and bagpipe marching bands come up a lot.

then there's this crazy place (backbeat records) which i've only been to once because you can't actually look through the stock, you have to ask the guy to find a specific record for you...even thinking about the place is raising my blood pressure, i want to organise the lad some feckin' shelves

Picture073.jpg

has anyone on that vgplus site done a chazzer challenge for edinburgh @nlgbbbblth?

edit: doesn't seem so but i did find a reference to wanting to bomb backbeat records

Last edited:
I'm an optimistic fellow and so I ventured into Backbeat again last year, thinking it couldn't possibly be as bad as a. everyone here says b. my own memory informs me.

I looked at about 30 records while the chap stood silently right behind my left shoulder watching my every move, then I had to make a break for it.
It's so unsettling it should feature on the ghost tours.
Lee heard a story recently about how an old classmate of his and record collector has stopped going to the store because he noticed he'd armed himself with a blade...
eek.png

It's been said before and it will be again, he's undoubtedly got some nice records in his shop.

But......... he's not getting a visit from me due to his less than acceptable social skills. I've already seen him chase customers down the street, it's only a short step to zombie slasher record shop owner apocalypse
frown.png
my last visit several years ago was probably less than 2 minutes, just long enough for him to accuse me of trying to nick reggae 45s
mad.png
frown.png

The bloke has got progressively loopier over the years - back in the day he was more than happy to root out his new stock for me but even then his made up stories of digging trips to Jamaica, South America which he'd just come back from (obviously forgetting I'd been in every Saturday for the past month or so). The shop gradually filled up with overpriced stock and his social skills deteriated - chasing people out the shop, shouting at punters, going mental when someone other than him bought a private collection etc.

It is a shame as there are certainly nice records in there and the best stuff does not go onto eBay - I eventually got his user name off him and it was run of the mill chuff. You cant go in the shop anymore, you have to ask him for what you want and he'll try and find it for you - Nae fun for the likes of us. I personally think he is building a big record nest to die in.

Last edited:
i'm happy to take shabby old records as long as they're between 50 pence and £1.
edinburgh's good for secondhand vinyl although with a LOT of shit to sift through, billy connolly records and bagpipe marching bands come up a lot.

then there's this crazy place (backbeat records) which i've only been to once because you can't actually look through the stock, you have to ask the guy to find a specific record for you...even thinking about the place is raising my blood pressure, i want to organise the lad some feckin' shelves

Picture073.jpg
look at that! "prosperous" (chrisy moore)! don't see that one very often...

i've come to the conclusion that many record shop guys actually hate music and want to keep people away from it

i found one in the end, by that LDJB guy, he only did one of about 6 good charity shop areas that i'm aware of though

i registered yesterday but i'm still in a queue for approval by a moderator or something

i found one in the end, by that LDJB guy, he only did one of about 6 good charity shop areas that i'm aware of though

i registered yesterday but i'm still in a queue for approval by a moderator or something

Of course - forgot Lee was in Edinburgh. I met him at the Utrecht record fair a couple of years ago. Gave me some great tips for Euro 45s.

I just found out today that there is a market where the flea market is pretty much every sunday. There was a record stall there too,at about 4:30.

There's a new 2nd hand record shop in Exchequer St, in the premises of Sub City Comics (they still sell a small collection of comics). Stocks mainly vinyl with CD's and DVD's.
Good selection of vinyl, not too badly priced, though some are a little overpriced imo. Worth a gander though.
A mate told me it was run by yer man who used to do the Guinness Advert, with the Guinness Dance?

There's a new 2nd hand record shop in Exchequer St, in the premises of Sub City Comics (they still sell a small collection of comics). Stocks mainly vinyl with CD's and DVD's.
Good selection of vinyl, not too badly priced, though some are a little overpriced imo. Worth a gander though.
A mate told me it was run by yer man who used to do the Guinness Advert, with the Guinness Dance?

I saw this on Saturday but didn't get a chance to head in. It's called Zenith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back