Diggin' the crates - a record buying thread (1 Viewer)

The few shops that I had a look through were wall to wall bargain bin records priced between 20 to 40 euro
That's the way it is, and anything half decent but not collectable is +40. But then I got Galaxie 500 - On Fire for €4 cos it had a nick on it but was otherwise excellent.

Unsorted vinyl sucks. I went to a few second hand and charity shops hoping to find records of Dupré's organ works but found nothing. None of the shops seem to bother keeping any classical except for the charity shops and they're not much use. Is there a good spot to find classical stuff? There are some excellent shops in Vienna wedged with records, loads and loads of classical which I know nothing about.

14344.jpg

I love when I see a lined or plastic inner sleeves. The chances those records will be nice and clean sounding is definitely better.

ALERT !! DALEKS!! KLAXONS!!

Vinyl Alert to anybody who collects Classical music....Oxfam on Parliament Street has just been donated a vast ammount of Dublin City Library's Vinyl Collection, everything, including box sets going for 2 Euro...and they are mostly in pristine condition. A huge range of stuff there.

https://www.facebook.com/billy.hanluain/posts/10151847224718469
RED ALERT LADS
RED ALERT LADS

IMAG0139.jpg IMAG0140.jpg IMAG0138.jpg IMAG0141.jpg IMAG0142.jpg IMAG0143.jpg IMAG0144.jpg

I did my first ever crate digging today. There was a small box of records in SVP in Blanch village. The lad working there was sound as fuck, showed me records he'd picked out to buy himself but said if there were any I really wanted he'd let me have them. He'd picked out a rake of Cat Stevens albums. Anyway I got these for €10. Honestly haven't a clue if that's a good price but fuck it. They all seem to have belonged to one John Doyle. Thanks John.

What's really put me off buying from the R.A.G.E (or Trout Records in George's Arcade, owned by the same guy) is the fact that they now stock those dodgy looking Beatles, Led Zepplin, Neil Young etc bootlegs/pirates. Whatever about them ripping people off who don't know better by overcharging for records in poor condition (I think it's still possible to pick up something cheap(er) that they've overlooked), I have a problem with doing the same with those pirates.

Freebird and Spin Dizzy are great for making sure the 2nd hand stock is in good condition and reasonably priced, Freebird in particular can be very generous in terms of price.

Is there a good spot to find classical stuff?

Spin Dizzy have a small section of 2nd hand beneath the 2nd hand cds but the quality of the selection would probably be similar to that of a charity shop.

What's really put me off buying from the R.A.G.E (or Trout Records in George's Arcade, owned by the same guy) is the fact that they now stock those dodgy looking Beatles, Led Zepplin, Neil Young etc bootlegs/pirates.

They are not the only shop in dublin to stock them.

Is it wrong to leave records with scratches on them into charity shops?

I have two grace jones albums I was going give to a charity shop but I was going to leave a note with each record telling the potential buyer what to expect.

Is it wrong to leave records with scratches on them into charity shops?

I have two grace jones albums I was going give to a charity shop but I was going to leave a note with each record telling the potential buyer what to expect.

Is it stupid to buy a used record without checking the condition?

What's really put me off buying from the R.A.G.E (or Trout Records in George's Arcade, owned by the same guy) is the fact that they now stock those dodgy looking Beatles, Led Zepplin, Neil Young etc bootlegs/pirates. Whatever about them ripping people off who don't know better by overcharging for records in poor condition (I think it's still possible to pick up something cheap(er) that they've overlooked), I have a problem with doing the same with those pirates.

Freebird and Spin Dizzy are great for making sure the 2nd hand stock is in good condition and reasonably priced, Freebird in particular can be very generous in terms of price.

The Nick Cave stuff is also pirated in case anyone is tempted to buy it.

There's a new shop in Wexford. South East Records. Run by a guy called Steve who puts on the "Soundz Promising" record fairs. They seem to be rivals of Brian Comet who may be Record Fairs Ireland.

There's a third one call Faughts Record Fairs.

We don't need three promoters.

Anyway I am sure South East will have a lot of Steve's stock that he brings to fairs. Somewhat overpriced but generally well-graded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back