Diggin' the crates - a record buying thread (1 Viewer)

Soultrader looks like a nice set up.

1001640_465028680258712_819950505_n.jpg

The Carlow place does have prices on the records. All of them are tagged with little coloured stickers. Each colour corresponds to a price e.g. green is 5, red is 8, etc, whatever.

I was passing through a month or two back and didn't really have time to look properly or buy anything, but it looked really good.

Went to Soultrader yesterday. Well worth a look for the vinyl heads. Records out front are in really good condition and prices range from €5 - €25. There's a room near the back crammed full of Vinyl & CDs, ungraded. You would need a bit of time in there. They also have CD's, DVDs, Comics, & some books. I got 4 LPs at a fiver each & 1 for a tenner. All sound great with minimal surface noise. Cool. I'll have another look sometime.

Do you get the impression places like Soul Trader are doing well?

It's kinda interesting because you would presume that more records would get sold in places like Dublin/Cork and there wouldn't be such a big market somewhere like Carlow,and yet there's a (as I keep hearing ) killer shop in Carlow. Do people travel there specifically to buy records? Do they do a lot of mailorder(ebay/discogs etc) or is the rent that much cheaper?

@Gary

I don't how long they are open or how they do in general but there was people in and out when I was there. Re: record shops in small town: I thought the same with beat that in Arklow, but I think people will travel if its a good shop, not all the time, a few times a year. Carlow is less than an hour's drive from me.

A lot of that list is pure shit to be fair.

For many, Tower Records was the place to discover music. Tower shuttered in 2006 after 46 years of existence — that is, everywhere except Tokyo!

Fact check, people.

Japan is known for its incredible record stock, so I can only assume its Tower Records is one of the best to ever exist. Like, ever.

It is not.

Irish Record Fairs heads West this weekend to Galway , where we will hold a Fair on Saturday, August 24th at the Electric Garden on Middle Abbeygate Street, just off Shop Street, so you can attend at least one Electric event this weekend if you don�t make it to the Picnic!

Admission is, of course, free and we expect to have 15 -20 tables of vinyl , cds & dvds for your delectation.� Hours are noon until 6pm.

We have a brand new Facebook page for the Galway Fairs available here:

https://www.facebook.com/galwayrecordfair

Why not drop by there, like it and ask us to bring down whatever you particularly are interested in?

There is a break until the regular monthly fair Upstairs at Sweeneys Mongrel Bar on Dame St., Dublin on Saturday, September 7th which runs from noon until 5.30pm. �Again, free.

Saturday, 14th of September is the monthly Kilkenny Record Fair at Billy Byrne�s Bar on John Street. This runs from noon until 5pm and is free in.

Saturday Sept 21st we are planning a Ska, Mod, Sixties, Beat Record Fair, at THE� PINT BAR & VENUE, Eden Quay, Dublin 1. This will run from 12 until 6pm and is free admission. Other types of music will be on sale, too, but we will be concentrating on Ska, Beat and Reggae of all descriptions.

Saturday, Sept 28th is the Belfast Record Fair �https://www.facebook.com/belfastrecordfair?fref=ts which is run at the Oh Yeah Music Centre, 15-21 Gordon Street, Belfast , BT1 2LG Check their Facebook page for further details.

Sunday, Sept 29th is the Limerick Record Fair at the Blind Pig on Foxes Bowe in the city centre. As it is Jazz Week in Limerick, we will bring a good selection of same to the event. But we will also have plenty of indie and metal, and other genres on the day. On from 11 am until 6pm and free in.

Of course, there are other fairs on around the country during the month that we won�t be at, and therefore are not mentioned here, you can get a listing of them , plus a list of record shops around Ireland on our website here: www.irishrecordfairs.com� or on our Facebook page you can get free admission to the next big fairs or ask for items� or post your wants :
https://www.facebook.com/irishrecordfairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back