Diggin' the crates - a record buying thread (1 Viewer)

Wheels

Website
www.delicious9.com
I haven't gone record buying in a long time. Like, YEARS. I pretty much stopped about 4 years ago before I moved abroad, and have been reaquainting myself with my collection since I got back.

However, it's time to start getting back into the grooves and I'm looking for places to get reasonably priced vinyl. Charity shops, record stores that have decent second hand stock etc;. I'll be moving to Phibsboro in a few weeks but am hoping to do an old fashioned trawl around town this Saturday. Any suggestions people have would be most appreciated.

this is a good question. All the shops seem to me mad dear when it comes to vinyl. It probably is worth having a root around in tower. Mostly very overpriced but you might find the odd gem.

Does anywhere even do 2nd hand vinyl anymore?

Also, there seemed to be a lot of record fairs over the last year or so. I haven't seen any advertised the past while but maybe thats because of the time of year. Maybe they'll start up again soon.

Then theres trying the car boot sale thing and hoping you get lucky. I'd expect the chances to be quite small.

Where does @nlgbbbblth get his vinyl? Also, I've seen people mention on here and on twitter about places like Oxfam, etc, and finding some cool stuff there. But again, thats all down to blind luck.

Vinyl has got amazingly expensive. I thought at first this was down to bands releasing a limited number on this format as there wasn't a huge market for it . But now that its taken off in a big way I expected the price to drop...which hasn't happened. Combine that with US postage costs and it gets ridiculous

And someone should tell Oxfam that not every old 12" is a valuable collector's item

I'm back buying Vinyl as well after buying CDs exclusively for about...18 years.

Elastic witch I like alot, but he dosen't have a huge selection & it's very much modern indie/electronic sub genres that he stocks. Lots of irish releases as well. He dosen't do secondhand vinyl.

Freebird has a good general stock of CDs and vinyl. The selection of sechondhand vinyl could be better. Same goes for Spin Dizzy.

R.A.G.E (where road used to be) has a big selection of s/hand vinyl, especially downstairs but I find them to be too pricey considering the questionable quality of some of the records. With second hand vinyl I'm looking for VG+ and upwards. I hate noisey records.

If you fancy a bit of a drive, beat that records in Arklow town is a good shop.
I've gotten quiet a few records there.

spindizzy and freebird are the only places i hit these days - worth keeping an eye on the new arrivals section in spindizzy, most of the good stuff goes pretty quickly.

I haven't gone record buying in a long time. Like, YEARS. I pretty much stopped about 4 years ago before I moved abroad, and have been reaquainting myself with my collection since I got back.

However, it's time to start getting back into the grooves and I'm looking for places to get reasonably priced vinyl. Charity shops, record stores that have decent second hand stock etc;. I'll be moving to Phibsboro in a few weeks but am hoping to do an old fashioned trawl around town this Saturday. Any suggestions people have would be most appreciated.

Really not much help (yet) but

http://thumped.com/bbs/hotspots/

R.A.G.E (where road used to be) has a big selection of s/hand vinyl, especially downstairs but I find them to be too pricey considering the questionable quality of some of the records. With second hand vinyl I'm looking for VG+ and upwards. I hate noisey records.

Yeah, don't get their pricing strategy at all. Some stuff might be worth the prices they are asking but only if they were in much better nick. Loads of jazz I would buy if it was cheaper but definitely not worth it at those prices or in that condition.

There's a fair bit of vinyl in that charity shop (oxfam?) on georges st, near waltons.

Irish Liquidators in Tallaght have loads of vinyl. Again most are in rag order and the average price is 8-12 eura. Some of these places seem to think that every old piece of shit record is worth money.

Last edited:
Irish Liquidators in Tallaght have loads of vinyl. Again most are in rag order and the average price is 8-12 eura. Some of these places seem to think that every old piece of shit record is worth money.

I saw that place when cycling to work the other day, meant to pop out when I had the car but keep forgetting. What kind of selection have they got?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jump to 02:30 for the records. They're upstairs.
I didn't find anything, maybe I didn't look hard enough. I did see an old rick wakeman album but is was €12 and the record looked ropey. If it looks like a load of snap, crackle and pop, I don't want it.

I buy most of my new records online.
Second hand - car boot sales, charity shops, the usual suspects in Dublin that have already been mentioned.

Have a look at these. Words and pictures of my trawl around the city's charity shops during the summers of 2009 and 2010.

Phibsboro is included in the 2009 one.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php/23553-nlgbbbblth-and-the-charity-shop-challenge-2009

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php/27760-nlgbbbblth-and-the-charity-shop-challenge-2010

Finding records in charity shops seems to be becoming a less and less common occurrence,but it does still occasionally happen. I find I buy more cd's in charity shops than vinyl these days. Cd's are getting cheaper and cheaper in charity shops too.

Still,the golden rule of never passing one without a look always applies. It's the only way to find things.

The same applies to car boot sales,but they need a little more of an effort to go to. The kids like the cheap dvd's at car boot sales though,so at least they can come along if the weather is ok.

I can't afford to buy new records these days,so I rarely go to record shops.

I buy most of my new records online.
Second hand - car boot sales, charity shops, the usual suspects in Dublin that have already been mentioned.

Have a look at these. Words and pictures of my trawl around the city's charity shops during the summers of 2009 and 2010.

A lot of leg work there P.

Wheels, if there's no joy in the shops, maybe try adverts.ie http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/dvd-cd-movies/vinyl/244/

Whelans are opening a record shop in a few weeks, according to their facebook page
-------------------

https://www.facebook.com/whelanslive?hc_location=stream

Whelanslive shared a link.
11 minutes ago
Some tasty news coming up!

We are working on plans to open our very own record shop right next to Whelan's... with the emphasis on good deals on great albums from abroad and, more importantly perhaps, at home....If it all works out we may even have a human jukebox.... More in the next few weeks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back