David Grubbs (1 Viewer)

If you only buy one David Grubbs LP, make it Bastro's Sing The Troubled Beast. If you buy two, also include Gastr's Crookt, Crackt or Fly.

On the solo front The Thicket is certainly the place to start.

The Jim O'Rourke gig was terrible - MazzaCane was the highlight for me. A true original, somewhere between Fahey and Jandek. O'Rourke seemed to be playing his improv straight and singing his songs in a flaky, roundabout way - caught between rock and a shard place. If you gig Gastr/JO'R, check out Matthew De Gennaro too.

Lastly, don't judge Grubbs on his most recent show which was not only undermined by a bad performance by Archer Prewitt but took place in the afternoon - never a good thing. His two previous shows (Funnel, June 1998 and Whelans, December 2000) were much better, with the Whelans one being the highlight.

Justin Toner said:
The Jim O'Rourke gig was terrible - MazzaCane was the highlight for me. A true original, somewhere between Fahey and Jandek. O'Rourke seemed to be playing his improv straight and singing his songs in a flaky, roundabout way - caught between rock and a shard place. If you gig Gastr/JO'R, check out Matthew De Gennaro too.

I thought he was great, not mad about O'Connors... *shrug*
Thought his improve with Ross was good and loved his songs.
But I was a bit of a starry eyed fan boy.

It was more like 4 years ago

and I got drunk and shook his hand and talked shite to him

nice man

:cool:

Jim O rourke don't sing too much on his tunes - he usually get some sea and cake boys to vocalise right? He's a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none.....and he hates Rachel's so he's a fool! :mad: :eek:

Got that David Grubbs album... I think it's the Spectrum one... check it out if you're into Jim O'Rourke... it's well nice

billygannon said:
Got that David Grubbs album... I think it's the Spectrum one... check it out if you're into Jim O'Rourke... it's well nice

Also for Jim O'Rourke fans... rent out Love Liza.
Tis only brillant and the soundtrack consists of half wat to a three way, eurika and variations of tracks from both.

Is that soundtrack available? I had a hellofapaininthearse trying to find the Dutch Harbour Soundtrack and still haven't tracked down I'm Happy and....

If anyone suggests the net I'll bash 'em.
Homey don't play dat.

The Chilli King said:
Also for Jim O'Rourke fans... rent out Love Liza.
Tis only brillant and the soundtrack consists of half wat to a three way, eurika and variations of tracks from both.

wowzers! i didnt know that at all. must rent it tonight
it looks very sad

im sure i came across the dutch habour soundtrack in town somewhere recently, i'll try and remember where

Wheels said:
and still haven't tracked down I'm Happy and....

so want to get that, let me know if you find it puh-leeze

bought Terminal Pharmacy last night, one of Jims arty early jobbies

One track is pretty much 16 minutes of silence, the other just slices of out of tune violins with someone humping an acordian...

uh... maybe it's a grower...

Pantone247 said:
so want to get that, let me know if you find it puh-leeze

bought Terminal Pharmacy last night, one of Jims arty early jobbies

One track is pretty much 16 minutes of silence, the other just slices of out of tune violins with someone humping an acordian...

uh... maybe it's a grower...

Ahhh, it most certainly isn't a grower. You Sir, have been had.

Maybe that's why I prefer grubbs overall. Jim's jipped on me on time to many and Grubbs arty jobbies have all had something going on that makes my brain smile.

The Chilli King said:
Ahhh, it most certainly isn't a grower. You Sir, have been had.

Maybe that's why I prefer grubbs overall. Jim's jipped on me on time to many and Grubbs arty jobbies have all had something going on that makes my brain smile.

I had that sinking feeling as I listened to it... uh maybe some cool melodic bouncy horn section will kick in any minute now.... um...

Teach me to go into tower records after twelve hour working day feeling tired and emotional... impaired judgement your honor! I plead impaired judgment!!

Okay King of the Chillis what you recomend as good Grubb's record to start on, preferbly one with out too much of his smug singing.

george mcfly said:
eureka is class, by far my fave of jimmy-babys

The first time i heard the whole of that album was right before ireland beat holland in lansdowne road. Brilliant day, i had a party by accident that day, the puke on the walls was no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back