billygannon

Contributor
Threads
I've been to Reading.

Two interesting things I learned about Reading when I was there

1: there is a street named after Kate Winslett
2: it is twinned with Clonmel

it ceases being interesting after that.
Yeah... Reading... that's basically a very, very large office.

Nate Champion

Threads
I have cousins in Leeds. They say it's great. I think they're lying. Pricks.
It's not an intuitive place. One good gallery in the city centre. But the centre is very corporate. Difficult to figure it out, but if you're going to a gig, some good spots. Wharf Chambers...I think there's a boycott on that place at the minute. Some dubious carry-on with non-P.C issues.

Newcastle is the big of the bunch by a frigging mile. Awesome architecture, friendly people, great little spots everywhere. Although some people who've lived there despise the grotesquery of the student culture there.

billygannon

Contributor
Threads
It's not an intuitive place. One good gallery in the city centre. But the centre is very corporate. Difficult to figure it out, but if you're going to a gig, some good spots. Wharf Chambers...I think there's a boycott on that place at the minute. Some dubious carry-on with non-P.C issues.

Newcastle is the big of the bunch by a frigging mile. Awesome architecture, friendly people, great little spots everywhere. Although some people who've lived there despise the grotesquery of the student culture there.
Ah! Newcastle. I've had some memorable nights there!

Geordies are just great fun.

sep;9fuews?

Supporter
Threads
Is York really the worst town in England? I was thinking of going there next month for a few hours.
I did my MA there, and soon grew to despise the homogeneous, middle class nature of it. So, I hold a special bias.

If you go, make sure you hit all the secondhand/charity bookstores. I got some great stuff cheap in my time there.
I went to York today, it was shit. So many people milling around, it was insufferable and I left fairly quickly. Worse than Galway. I did pick up Rainbow Stories by William Vollmann so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I have cousins in Leeds. They say it's great. I think they're lying. Pricks.
Yeah, you're basically right, it's not great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• The Calling
    Observer
    Sevdaliza
    The Calling

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Donate!

Total amount
€0.00
Goal
€100.00

Trending Threads

Latest threads