Collecting Bands' Complete Discographies (1 Viewer)

Experiences doing this? Anyone committed to buying any old shite from certain artists regardless of what it sounds like?

Assuming this applies to long term concerns only and artists with a gazillion records or decades of recordings, I would consider owning anything that has Robert Wyatt or features Mark E. Smith in any form. Then for jazz, would certainly like to have all Ornette Coleman or Eric Dolphy... I have most of Wyatt's on vinyl.

Deerhoof would have been in the running around 2010 or slightly before, but they really should have hung it up somewhere in the last ten years. Also, always the same craic live now.

Jim O'Rourke or David Grubbs, the original Gastr de Sol men - I could conceivably see myself trying to collect most things by those boys. Consistently high quality output now spanning decades. I mean as solo merchants and collaborators.

Up to a point I collected all Marillion albums and singles on all formats. I think I have Clutching at Straws on LP, Pic Disc, Cassette, CD, Remastered CD. Then around 94 I stopped and just bought the albums and was happy with that. Plus they started putting out too much stuff, live albums galore etc. Now I just buy the studio albums (usually pre-order deluxe box sets) and the off live thing that looks good.

There is a number of other bands whose discography I have and will always buy a new album by. Already this year I've added to Weezer and AniDifranco and AC/DC collections. I'll get The Notwist when shops open up again.

There's been a major downturn in my music buying over the last 2 years. A while back I was averaging 100 or more purchases for a couple of years , mainly CDs. But in 2019 my total was 64. 2020 it was 44.
Interest wanes I suppose.

Apologies for late-to-the-party here...just found this thread. I think I have nearly all The Fall records, certainly all the albums...that was fun. Not too many prolific bands who would reward that kindof searching though. It is a great thing to do though.
I did it again with Jaki Liebezeit's back catalogue, that was an amazing experience. Kindof like finding an unwritten working biography. There are some truly dreadful records in there, but it was part of the fun to discover them. I made a rule that I would track down every recording, i didnt care about format or remasters or that.
I'm finding myself doing it again with Burnt Friedman. The trip he's on is fascinating to me.
I would do it with Autechre, Coltrane, maybe Dylan, when I magically and imminently become a Man Of Money.
Edit...loads of bands I would do this for, thinking about it. Cardiacs now top of the list

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back