Dates from hell.. (6 Viewers)

Dates from Hello magazine

Dateshello.jpg

ah here

Would something like this be a good way to get a date/start a long term relationship?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For Women only!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My mother tried to set me up a few times. In fairness to her, some of them were very nice, but never even progressed to 'date' level. One dude was a physicist, really cute, lovely dude, lived downstairs from her in NY. Unfortunately, they worked together, and it just seemed weird, but he was genuinely lovely. Another dude was a billionaire heir-type who raced cars, and I had no fucking clue what to say to him. He was a nice guy, but it was like talking to someone from a parallel universe, and there just wasn't enough common ground.

BUT the WORST was that by my mid-20s, my market value had clearly plummeted, and she tried to set me up with another guy she worked with. Oh lord. It wasn't that he was the same height as me and as wide as he was tall (see also: Vito Spatafore), nor was it the combover or the members only jacket or the chinos pulled up to where his neck should have been. No, it was that he was one of the rudest, most unpleasant, obnoxious people I've ever been forced to be polite to. That, and the fact that he was a neo-conservative fundamentalist Christian. Now, I've got a bit of a thing for the frisson between me and someone more conservative (one of my only pals in high school was like Michael J Fox on Family Ties, and we had real respect for one another), and often get on well with people like that, but this guy was absolutely unreal.

I had a lovely bunch of friends who made sure that I never had to be alone with him, although there was about a 45 minute gap between 'chaperones'. During that 45 minutes, he went on a big rant about how governments should be privatised and handed over to responsible Christian businessmen to run according to good Christian values, and how corporations were the only trustworthy institutions. Needless to say, I didn't see him again. And when the Enron scandal broke a few short months later, I had a little private giggle over it.

Now, my mom is great and all, but she also suggested I meet a guy she knew when she was in government, who belonged to a family known for their blonde consorts having an unusually high rate of mortality. Who ended up in rehab last year.

Nota bene: sometimes your mother doesn't know what's best for you, despite wishing it to be so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back