Customs charges? (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I ordered a second hand microkorg off eBay, and I ended up getting charged €60+ customs.

This is just a crazy level of charge. I don't normally complain about the existence of taxation, but it's just such a dodgy way of getting so much money. Customs have gotten so strict lately too, I had a guitar picked up too.

It doesn't make sense for me that a second hand item can get that much charge. For all they know - it could have been a junker, and not worth anything much at all. They held it for a fucking week too.

It would have been cheaper for me to order one new off Thomann.

I'm really pissed as hell. I read somewhere, can't find it now, that you didn't get charged for second hand items so I thought it'd be okay.

I don't get why people don't take action on this kind of thing, with these crazy charges how can the government run out of money so easily?

got something for 179 off thomann.de, will i have to pay charges? how does it work, do you get a bill in the post or something?

got something for 179 off thomann.de, will i have to pay charges? how does it work, do you get a bill in the post or something?

When I got hit with it, the dude that delivered it told me I had to pay it and took the money there and then. Don't know what happens if you don't have the money on you.

yes. if it's from outside the EU, regardless of whether it's 2nd hand or otherwise- it's calculated on the price you paid for the item. sometimes the seller is willing to declare it as a "gift" or less than it's worth. depends on the seller. otherwise you gots to pay...

there should be a slip with a breakdown. 60 quid seems to be fairly standard 'handling' + item of some kind tax.

i've gotten this sort of charge on cd's before

Seriously, is customs meant to be chargable on second hand items? Surely it'd be less?

In the eyes of the Dept. Of Finance you're simply importing an item into the country and it's provenance is irrelevant to them, all they care about is the value of the item which they presumably saw on the packaging of the microkorg when it arrived in and the rate would have been applied to that.

Had you got the seller to declare the value of the item to be less than you'd paid for it than you you might have got away with paying less. Of course in that case in the event of it being damaged in transit there are issues with underinsurance.

Oh and fraud too probably.

Didn't froog buy from the english thomann instead of the irish? So he may get hit with an extra 21.5% if he's unlucky.

How much was the microkorg gg? €60 seems a lot for it, did customs have a value for it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though that the whole issue of customs duties and VAT only applied to goods bought outside the EU. Surely if you're buying from Thomann you're sound as you're trading within the E.U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back