currently reading? v2.0 (5 Viewers)

I just finsihed Kazuo Ishguro's When We Were Orphans
A first year in college english class would have gr8 fun with this now so they would - symbolism! pomposity! what does it all mean!
It was ok - only ok.

just finished a whole load of Azimov robot stories followed by the The Caves of Steel in a kind of totally useless two-fingers to the likes of Will Smith's I Robot.

now i'm on PKD's 1st volume of short stories, man's a genius i say

Finished Pride and Prejudice earlier this week. I enjoyed it for the most part: the main plot is pretty well done and the high-class slagging matches are excellent. Overall, though I found the subject matter a little light and the sub-plots boring except where they fed into the main love story.

Am currently reading the Lonely Planet guide to Croatia.

if I could master the devastatingly clever put downs that Austen's characters deliver so smoothly I would be a very happy gal.

We just don't insult people with the same style and panache in the 21st century I'm afraid.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Finished Pride and Prejudice earlier this week. I enjoyed it for the most part: the main plot is pretty well done and the high-class slagging matches are excellent. Overall, though I found the subject matter a little light and the sub-plots boring except where they fed into the main love story.

Am currently reading the Lonely Planet guide to Croatia.

I dunno, back in the knife drawer Elizabeth Bennet did all-bleedin-righ in my buke

Mr Darcy?

Swoon.

S'pose. I got the impression that Elizabeth Bennet was the woman Jane Austen wanted to be, but that she was probably more like Mary bennet (who was bet down and a bookish nerd - like meself).

Readin At Swim Two Birds at the mo...I don't think I get it to be honest, although bits are funny...but then the epic Irish mythology parodies are just really dreary...

Currently reading "One consciousness - an analysis of Bill Hick's comedy".

Just finished "The selfish gene", which is amazing (I didn't know too much about genes and stuff) and "Re-inventing modern Dublin", which is a very academic book about the "cultural geography" of de big smoke.

All reccomended.

Jimmy Magee said:
Readin At Swim Two Birds at the mo...I don't think I get it to be honest, although bits are funny...but then the epic Irish mythology parodies are just really dreary...
don't read any robert rankin then, lots of his stuff is english parodies of epic irish mythological parodies, meh.

just read "we can remember it for you wholesale" again this morning. total recall was class, but the original story's waaaaay better

I'm still reading Richard Dawkins 'The Blind Watchmaker'. Some of it's confusing but it's worth it for the insane stuff about bats.
Read 'Girl With A Pearl Earring' recently - I didn't really want to, it was pressed on me by a relative, but it was actually pretty good.
Tried to read some John McGahern but the sheer culchieness of it turned me off after approximately half a page.

I'm reading boring books for work and You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers. Which is ok, in that whole 'I can't handle my mid 20's life' way, but nowhere near as well done as Douglas Coupland does it.

Super Dexta said:
Tried to read some John McGahern but the sheer culchieness of it turned me off after approximately half a page.
I really like him. The most recent one, that they may face the rising sun, is a lovely buke. Amongst women is fantastic too.

i read that dave eggers book, erm, 'the deadliest yokey in ever the universe' or something, and i found it reaallly hard to digest.
would have been better as an online blog.

i just finished the jim dodge book, erm, the one about the big boppers car, and that was great. tore through it, though the ending was a cop out.

prior to that was 'white line fever' which is almost as good as 'the dirt'

almost...

kirstie said:
I really like him. The most recent one, that they may face the rising sun, is a lovely buke. Amongst women is fantastic too.
That They May Face The Rising Sun was the one I was trying to read, it mysteriously materialized in my bedroom so I figured I'd have a go at it, in case the universe was trying to tell me something. I read Amongst Women for college last year and actually liked it a lot, but the sheer rural Irishness of it all got too much for TTMFTRS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back