currently reading? v2.0 (1 Viewer)

I am currently reading designing with web standards by jeffrey zeldman

see my signature for more info on this.

kirstie said:

see my signature for more info on this.
I downloaded Firefox recently and use that from home.

I think this web standards thing is a pinko conspiracy.

*Now* I'm reading Othello by, eh, Shakespeare. This proves for me the value of edumication, because I'm finding this (which I did for me Leaving) the most intoxicatingly wonderful of any o the plays I've read so far...mainly I think because I can read it through without having to look up words or figure out what on earth he's getting at...I'm even copping on to the different ways people talk, and actually some of it funny! 'Sblood. I'm left with an ever-greater appreciation for the man's frightening inventiveness and unarguable pre-emininence in the pantheons of artistry (his ability to be flowery without seeming forced or pretentious clearly isn't rubbing off on me tho).

kirstie said:
Hey that actually classes as an interesting book about web design! Just shows you how bleedin boring the rest of 'em are ....

ah I'm onny moaning, it's grand. Don't think much of his prose style or his constant repeating of the exact same thing. Yeah i get it Jeffrey, XML is deadly, web standards are great, the browser wars are over. NOW JUST SHOW ME HOW TO FUCKING DO IT PROPERLY, I'M ALREADY ON PAGE 113 AND YOU'RE STILL MUMPING ON. etc etc

Finished Othello. Marvellous. The aforementioned Leaving Cert aid notwithstanding, I think the more of the plays one reads they easier they get (and therefore the more of your brain is left over to actually enjoy the thing). Stands to reason anyway. I will have to start getting all the other 1500 plays into me.

Started Girl With a Pearl Earring, taking a while to get going, I'm a bit afraid it's going (no-one spoil it for me!) to just turn into a mushy romance that paints (sorry) Vermeer as a hunkus maximus, when of course he's as probably unlikeable and complicated as any other genius. But maybe I do it a disservice in advance. If nothing else it's got a nice cover anyway.

Jimmy Magee said:
Finished Othello. Marvellous. The aforementioned Leaving Cert aid notwithstanding, I think the more of the plays one reads they easier they get (and therefore the more of your brain is left over to actually enjoy the thing). Stands to reason anyway. I will have to start getting all the other 1500 plays into me.
othello is deadly. iago is by far the coolest character ever in literature ... "old black ram tupping the white ewe" ... "making the beast of two backs" ... still brilliant now. as a 17 year old leaving cert student though it's even better.

i bet i've gone off now and got those quotes wrong after trying to look all sophisticated by quoting shakespeare.

lmd64 said:
currently reading Breakfast of Champions, by Kurt Vonnegut, and getting embarrased on the bus by the big and obvious pictures of a [large rodent] beaver and a [legs wide open] beaver
That's mad.

I'm currently buying a raft of books of Amizon, decided to get a couple of Vonneguts, some read, some unread...I love him, he's the business. Can't wait to read Slaughterhouse Five. I love that description of the flag in B of C...and the arsehole, of course.

Just finished Anne Karenina. Fantastic book. I'm still in the afterglow, so my opinions - which, I'm sure, you're all dying to hear - are still germinating. Possibly my favourite book ever.

Am continuing my course of high-class chick lit with Pride and Prejudice, the first 50 or so pages of which are fairly enjoyable.

Jimmy Magee said:
That's mad.

I'm currently buying a raft of books of Amizon, decided to get a couple of Vonneguts, some read, some unread...I love him, he's the business. Can't wait to read Slaughterhouse Five. I love that description of the flag in B of C...and the arsehole, of course.
well there was a girl sitting beside me (21, 22 years old girl, not a teeny tiny kiddy, like), and i was worried she'd think i was a mad raving pervert, what with the beaver pictures

[an abstraction in ascii]
~x~
/\
\/

only more so. i like his stuff, but i always end up feeling fatalistically depressed afterwards, he never has the most optimistic viewpoints of the world. and who could blame him? reading the book, it's a case of 'same shit, different millenium'.
and so on.

slaughterhouse 5 is great as well. someone on the board got me reading it. thanks, whoever you are.

Jimmy Magee said:
Can't wait to read Slaughterhouse Five.
slaughterhouse five is excellent. i still haven't gotten round to getting any more of his stuff even though that's one of my favourite books ever.

if anyone's looking for a big aul book to sweep yis away, i must recommend a hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. its about 100 years of this family, prolly the best book i've ever read. whoever said they were reading ulysses, you should read portrait of the artist as a young man, its velly good.

anyone know any good poetry anthologies? of like more modern stuff?

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Just finished Anne Karenina. Fantastic book. I'm still in the afterglow, so my opinions - which, I'm sure, you're all dying to hear - are still germinating. Possibly my favourite book ever.

Am continuing my course of high-class chick lit with Pride and Prejudice, the first 50 or so pages of which are fairly enjoyable.
I can't remember it that well now...and I only read it last year...as far as I remember, I thought it was good, but not that good. But I can't really remember in any more detail. Shocking.

Oh, wait...I remember I didn't like the discussions about the state of Russia...like too much information...

eoinbox said:
if anyone's looking for a big aul book to sweep yis away, i must recommend a hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. its about 100 years of this family, prolly the best book i've ever read.
funny you should mention that, i'm just about to start reading it. supposed to be pretty deadly alright.

eoinbox said:
whoever said they were reading ulysses, you should read portrait of the artist as a young man, its velly good.
yeah, i thought portrait of the artist was fairly cool too. i've no intention of starting ulysses or finnegans wake any time soon but portrait is cool and easy going as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back